The "Official" Steam Card trading Thread

124»

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

Don't know what they're doing? It seems that if there were people gaming the return system in order to farm cards, they've saved themselves a lot of headache by doing this.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

It's simple: Steam sees idling as cheating. Since cards can literally be sold for money, it IS cheating. They're going to take all kinds of steps to prevent this from happening, and I say power to them. It screws up the market when people can use bots to farm for actual money.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    It's simple: Steam sees idling as cheating. Since cards can literally be sold for money, it IS cheating. >They're going to take all kinds of steps to prevent this from happening, and I say power to them. It >screws up the market when people can use bots to farm for actual money.

I have a hard time seeing why they care or why the should care. As long as stuff gets passed through the market they are taking their cut. I don't see their obligation to stop cheating.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@Karma said:
    I have a hard time seeing why they care or why the should care. As long as stuff gets passed through the market they are taking their cut. I don't see their obligation to stop cheating.

It effects other users' experiences. End of argument.

-Digi

primesuspect

@Karma said:
    I was getting an absurd number of friend requests and people randomly trading me in game so I set it to private so now I only get 1 random request a day instead of 7.

You can set Inventory to Friends only. That would allow us to trade with you without exposing your inventory to the public / getting spam adds.

-Digi

@BobbyDigi that seems to be another argument entirely. Since these new rules regarding trading affects me way more than people cheesing their way to cards.

Also not even sure why I care about cards or getting levels. Fucking gamification has got me man.

• lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian

@Karma said:

I've been kind of wondering how the economics on the Steam Community Market work out. I assume maybe someone somewhere is paying real money for these cards & things?

I got bored with it & wandered off, but last fall I sold all the cards and crap I'd accumulated for about $7. Then, I played some buy low / sell high games on the market until I had about $30. Bought myself a bunch of DLC for Awesomenauts for the hell of it. Didn't spend a dime of my own.

I know there are people who get up into the hundreds & thousands playing the market, especially with crud like CounterStrike loot.

• It's a fun mini-game to play frankly. When a new crate comes out in counter strike, I reinstall the game immediately and play until I get it. Then I don't play it for another 6 months. I've sold CS crates for $15 and they all eventually are worth 10 cents. I have bought games for pennies, farmed the cards, and made $.30 profit or whatever. I would make 50x as much just working my job, but for some reason the steam trading card and market thing is fun to me. I use my profits to buy more cards. I level up and get more packs of cards for free. The badges accumulate. There is no point to it, but I am one of the people who uses money to buy cards instead of games. I have enough games, and I've always enjoyed collecting. Take people like me who have thousands of dollars of disposable income and boredom, and you end up with level 500 steam profiles or whatever. It's just collecting. It's a game. It's something to do to pass the time.

_kprimesuspect

@lmorchard said:
    I know there are people who get up into the hundreds & thousands playing the market, especially with crud like CounterStrike loot.

it's basically a chain of Denmark 1637s.

• lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian

@PirateNinja said:
    It's a fun mini-game to play frankly. When a new crate comes out in counter strike, I reinstall the game immediately and play until I get it.

Oh yeah, I bought CounterStrike with some card money too with that in mind. I played it a few times though and just couldn't bring myself to keep playing it, not even for lucrative prizes. But I might get sucked back into the market...

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2015

Looking for:
    Cerulean Carmouth

Have:
    Bob x1
    Crusta-Sean x3
    Dire Frog x2
    Z-Lo x2
    Dansky x1

I crafted my badge last night so I am open to swaps for now. My inventory is open to Friends so have a peek and if you need a card send me a trade offer for 1:1 Summer Sale cards.

Also open to trade of other cards I have for Summer Sale cards.

-Digi

_k
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Sent trade offers to @RyanFodder and @midga since you guys had crafted the badge already.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

If anyone needs any cards, I have 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 & 10. I am open for trading them for any cards of other games that I have.

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2015

I have:

~~~~Dominic (2)
    Cerulean Carmouth (1)
    Crusta-Sean (1)
    Z-lo (2)~~~~

All gone.
    First to the mill gets them.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Jokke your inventory is set to private. Change it to "friends" and I'll send you a trade for danksy and dire frog. :smile: