Kelso's Quest To Lose 60lbs

DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole'San Jose, CA Icrontian

Yup, I said 60, and yup, I'm assuming this is the right place for this...

So this starts about 5 years ago; it's Jan '10 and I just got back from the UK and I weighed... about 145lbs and am/was 5'10''(ish). I liked my weight, I was surprised I lost weight in college drinking rather than putting it on (started uni at 195lbs).

Anyhow, flash forward 5 years and almost 4 years working different desk jobs at EA and in February I was at 227lbs. I ate like sh*t, didn't get up and walk around all that much, and I drank at least 4 coca-colas a day. So in April I decided I needed to change things up, I didn't like what I was seeing in the mirror and I felt like crap. I decided to do the following:
1. Cut out all coca-cola (I have one or two on the weekend if I feel like it) - I really thought this was gonna be the hardest thing, but I replaced coke with sparkling water and it seems to have done the trick
2. Drink more water, see 1.
3. Watch my caloric intake - I started using MyFitnessPal to start to keep track of what I was eating (and drinking, thanks beer) and have stuck to doing about 1450 calories a day, seems to be working. I then got a fitbit and have been trying to stick to its recommendations, also seems to be working lol
4. Try and be more active - I've got an iPhone 6 which does the step measuring, but I also decided to get myself one of them fitbit one's that clips on to your belt or pocket (it's on my pocket), I've got it set to some fairly easy step goals since work sucks
5. Stop eating like shit - This I blame recently one work, when I started on the team I'm on now there was a lot of OT and that meant a lot of waiter.com meals from random restraunts, I tried staying healthy, but all of that stuff was just bad anyhow, so I've tried not ordering unless I know it's gonna be an uber late night.
6. Eat better - if any of you follow my instagram (https://instagram.com/dontcallmekelso/) you'll often see what I'm making for dinner. I've been doing chicken, salmon, steaks every now and then, what ever I feel like that isn't stupid and unhealthy (I miss my fried breakfasts sometimes)
7. Continue drinking beer - I dunno, I like beer, wasn't gonna change this, was gonna work around it and drink "less often"

Anyhow, I started at 227 and today I'm at 219.8! Yay! Only 54.8 lbs to go to hit my goal!

AnnesLinc

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2015
    1. Walk/run/bike/whatever 6 days a week for 500 calories. This will take you 50 minutes or less.
    2. Eat 2000 calories.
    3. Try mixing in the 5x5 Stronglifts program so your dietary restrictions and cardio activity don't chow down on muscle mass, leaving you a smaller version of yourself.

Guaranteed 1.5-3lbs/wk. Do until happy. It's one hour of your day to get the results you want.

Good luck.

Canti
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    1. Walk/run/bike/whatever 6 days a week for 500 calories. This will take you 50 minutes or less.
    Good luck.

I really should sign up for the gym at work (not really good biking at home) I just hate gyms

Also here's me 5 years ago in LA at the CoD Black Ops MP Reveal event, this is the me I sorta miss

And here's me in February at Anchor Brewery at 227

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

I also really want to fit back into 34" jeans, or 32 for that matter

• LadyChickenLadyChicken Chicken Tender Marshall, Michigan Icrontian

Just followed you on Instagram. I want to stop packing on the pounds. I have to wear a wedding dress in the next year to two years (hopefully on the lower end of that) and I want it to look good.

I need to stop eating take out when I'm at work and actually bring lunch for a change (which will save me money too). I need to stop using so much oil/butter when i cook, and less cheese as well. Probably less crappy carbs, and more fruits and veggies.

I have a Fitbit too, if you want to be buds on there, we can figure out how to do that (I've had a couple beers and nothing makes sense to me right now)

@Mercantile519 awesome, good luck :) I've been using olive oil when cooking, healthy, tastes good, and when I add butter to it, it makes an amazinger taste.
    With fitbit I think you can add people via email, I think.
    At work, I've been eating at the local places near mine. There's a sandwich/deli place in a different building, usually getting something like tuna or egg salad. Shawarma across the street, which 1 means I walk and 2 it's fairly healthy...ish... Our campus cafeteria has some decent healthy options I try every now and then.

LadyChicken

@DontCallMeKelso I work in a bit of a healthy food desert. There are a bunch of restaurants that sell pretty much exclusively fried foods around me. Unless I want to pay like $13 for a salad.
    My email address is nicole at mercantile519 dot ca if you want to add me on Fitbit.
    A couple days ago, I picked up a bunch of salad making ingredients. I need to get some new dressing, because I only have ridiculously delicious, yet calorie loaded ranch and Caesar. It's so damn good, but at what feels like 100 calories per drop, I need something a wee bit lighter.
    I'm going to make myself a giant salad in the biggest tupperware bowl we have (we use it to hold candy for trick or treaters at halloween) and then munch on that throughout the day. I also need to pick up a couple things, and I'm going to make this salad and eat that throughout the day as well.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Salad tip: Walden Farms.

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited July 2015

@Mercantile519 said:
    Just followed you on Instagram. I want to stop packing on the pounds. I have to wear a wedding dress in the next year to two years (hopefully on the lower end of that) and I want it to look good.

I need to stop eating take out when I'm at work and actually bring lunch for a change (which will save me money too). I need to stop using so much oil/butter when i cook, and less cheese as well. Probably less crappy carbs, and more fruits and veggies.

I have a Fitbit too, if you want to be buds on there, we can figure out how to do that (I've had a couple beers and nothing makes sense to me right now)

Lets be friends on FITBIT!!! :) I'll challenge you :)

As far as cooking with less oil/butter. Invest in good non-stick/ceremic pans and invest in some good no calorie non-stick cook spray and let the veggies show their true flavors.

Salad dressings: Walden farms makes KILLLER no calorie any kind of dressings, peanut butter spread (or there is PB2 which is only 45cal/2tbsp)

@HumerusMeg said:
    Lets be friends on FITBIT!!! :) I'll challenge you :)

Sounds good! My email address is nicole at mercantile519 dot ca, and I believe you can add me with that.

Unfortunately, I live with my parents (for another year or so) and I have ONE non-stick pan. It's sufficient for now, but a bit of an annoyance at times. As for salad dressings, i'm probably just going to go the oil+vinegar+spices route. Much tastier that way.

I have like four containers of PB2. One is sitting on my desk right next to me. I don't use peanut butter that often, but I have the option. I need to make smoothies again.

Down to 209.5! 44.5 to go.

primesuspectMAGICBasil
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian

@DontCallMeKelso YOUR A FUCKING ROCK STAR! Keep up the amazing work love!!!!!!!!

DontCallMeKelso