What coding language should I learn?

13»

Comments

• I am currently knee deep in a number of Meteor projects and it's really fun and empowering. That would be a good thing to check out for any of you JS people. I think it is going to turn in to a thing especially after their last round of funding and if you look at the all star team developing it.

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    it's never too late

Yeah, I did this a few months back, and got caught up with some other stuff, but found it to be good:

(Python): [11h11m]

(Python + Flask): [4h27m]

(Because I need a refresher) (HTML5 + CSS): [6h46m]

And finally, (Bootstrap w/ Python + Flask): [5h43m]

Also, I tried to use a few editors/IDEs, but Komodo Edit seems to be the easiest to use / set up for beginners like me. Just don't forget to install Python and link Komodo edit to both the python.exe and the C:\Python34\Lib folder so you can do stuff like:

import turtle

Pretty decent on-ramp into Python web dev, IMO. Very impressed with Python scripting for CLI & its capacity to talk to the system its running on as well.

Seems pretty cool to use the same code to do computations, work with the machine it's on, publish to the web, etc.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@the_technocrat, I'm rocking Spyder as my development environment these days but previously it was gedit and an ipython console. I might buy a Sublime license in the not terribly distant future though. Anyone here a big Sublime fan?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Lots of people at The Fool are fans of sublime. I've become accustomed to it after following some tutorials for django development and adding in IDE functionality that is not enabled by default. I've also enjoyed using PyCharm.

• I know I mentioned this in the other similar thread we have to this one, but as far as IDEs go I highly recommend checking out C9 and their preconfigured workspaces.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@drasnor sublime is my go to text editor while on Linux. I've tried working atom but sublime's functionalities are just so much better right now, plus lots of language syntaxing right out of the box.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

@Soda said:

Here's a an estimate of demand based on a list compiled from Dice

I suspect PHP is not on there because it's an older language that has a huge user base. Finding PHP folks is easy.

I'm surprised to see SQL as the top language on that list. I'm guessing they're lumping all databases together. SQL is the same, but the extensions are not 100% syntactically similar. You have T-SQL (MS-SQL), PL/SQL (Oracle), PL/pgSQL (PostgreSQL), SQL PL (IBM DB2), etc. I found out the other day that SAP has their own, called HANA.

Soda
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@the_technocrat said:
    ^5 for anyone who knows what this is (shoutout to the CS folks)
    * A
    * P
    * S
    * T
    * N
    * D
    * P

That's not even a CS thing, I'd say a network administrator/engineer is more likely to know what you're talking about. I learned it in high school while doing the CCNA curriculum, but don't think it was ever brought up in college (or if it was, only in passing). Still, OSI model represent. I was surprised to find that as soon as I saw that, I could rattle off each item easily. Guess something from high school stuck after all.

• Application
    • Presentation
    • Session
    • Transport
    • Network
    • Data
    • Physical
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2015

You forgot layer 8: the end luser.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Kwitko said:
    You forgot layer 8: the end luser.

So did ISO and CCITT. Might explain why so many services have shitty UX.

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

@the_technocrat said:
    ^5 for anyone who knows what this is (shoutout to the CS folks)
    * A
    * P
    * S
    * T
    * N
    * D
    * P

• A = Sour Cream
    • P = Cheese
    • S = Guacamole
    • T = Tomatoes
    • N = Lettuce
    • D = Seasoned Rice
    • P = Refried Beans

Source: http://pablotron.org/files/7_layer_burrito.html

Straight_Man
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian

@Tushon said:
    Lots of people at The Fool are fans of sublime. I've become accustomed to it after following some tutorials for django development and adding in IDE functionality that is not enabled by default. I've also enjoyed using PyCharm.

I am absolutely obsessed with IntelliJ IDEA (PyCharm and PHPStorm are essentially specialized versions the base application created by JetBrains to be streamlined for those markets). It's look and feel was what drew me at first, but the speed and customizability is what kept me there. The hotkey support out of the box is also fantastic. The newest version rebuilt the debugger, and it will show you the values of variables and such in the lines of code itself and let you edit them...that blew my mind.

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

@Soda said:
    I am absolutely obsessed with IntelliJ IDEA (PyCharm and PHPStorm are essentially specialized versions the base application created by JetBrains to be streamlined for those markets).

I've been using WebStorm since I became a JS guy and while it's pretty awesome I feel like it is crippled with dynamically-typed languages. Maybe I was spoiled by the amount of type-hinting available in PHPStorm. I suspect that if we move to TypeScript we'll get an order of magnitude more value from WebStorm.