The "what phone is coming next?" thread

1161718192022»

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@QCH said:
    I have to get used to the buttons being correct.

Welcome to actual Android :)

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

And... I really do not like the Nexus 5. The usb port is upside down so my Car Dock won't plug in. Oh, and the Nexus doesn't have docking settings. The notification bar is not what I am use to. The battery life is not what I was hoping for... the camera app stinks... only having Google Hangouts for sms... pain. No picture viewer/gallery... I've installed a few picture galleries and every one crashed.

I went into the store to get the Galaxy s5 after seeing all the specs and such but I seemed to have saw the price for the Nexus 5 so I wasn't prepared for the sticker shock... I will be returning the Nexus tomorrow. Guess I have fallen prey to the Samsung UI.

Maybe I WILL get the Note 3 afterall... I cannot stomach the Galaxy s5 right now.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Car dock apps in the play store. Standard SMS apps in the play store. Camera apps in the play store. The hardware is a vessel.

Galaxy S5 won't offer you better battery life.

ardichoke

I'm getting old... I like consistency and familiarity.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Also I think those kids are still on your lawn.

Zanthian

I now have a Samsung Galaxy S5... and I am so much happier!

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

I'd be dubious of Samsung devices at the moment, especially if this turns out to be accurate: https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/replicant-developers-find-and-close-samsung-galaxy-backdoor

So far... I love my Galaxy S5. Camera is SWEET!!!

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited June 2014

Amazon's phone announced yesterday. And meh. A couple of cool features (that I'm sure a lot of devs are now working to replicate in 'normal' Android), but not enough to justify the price (or being stuck on AT&T). Plus, most of it will be relegated to gimmick status in the near future.

I think if they had gone with the firefly feature (which is really cool) on mostly stock Android (at least Play Store access), with a heavily subsidized price (for Prime havers), they could have made a killing.

Gimme an unlocked GSM+LTE version for $49.99 with my Prime sub and I'd be there in a heartbeat.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/5821458/amazon-fire-phone-hands-on-with-the-ultimate-buying-machine

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    OnePlus.
    UPSLynx
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

Apple finally joins the phablet train today. Heh, slowpokes. I'm sticking with my Note 3. The Note 4 looks nice (dat resolution) but I'll likely hold out for the Note 5 or even 6.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I'd buy a 6 Plus in a heartbeat if they allowed iPad apps to run on it.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

The Xperia Z3 is my next phone.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Yep. Mainly based around the ridiculous battery life reports and the stellar reports of the camera, this is in one of my top three choices for next phone.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

blorp

Bamping this thread to post that the OnePlus One is now available without an invite both on their website and directly from Ting. Now I have a hard decision to make... keep using my Nexus 5 on CDMA, as the Sprint network seems to have better coverage... or get a 1+1 and switch to using Ting GSM, but suffer T-Mobile's subpar coverage map.

• Have they fixed the call sound volume issue yet? I'm considering picking one up to replace my G2

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2015

I am on the fence about the OnePlus 2. I know that they are trying to keep costs down, but no NFC, no wireless or quick-charging. I am disappoint. It's a sexy looking phone. I love the new camera features. I love the 64-bit Snapdragon 810, and I love the 1080p 401ppi density. There are some great new features, but I feel like there were too many compromises as well.

Given how people use phones these days, I think it would be great if every company followed Sony's lead and made their phones waterproof. At least their flagship models. I would gladly pay more for a waterproof phone.

I could probably live without wireless charging or NFC, but I wish they would have made it Sprint compatible. After going to Ting's CDMA service I have no desire to go back to T-Mobile's network.

• Possibly an interesting contender Kickstarting into the market: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ubik1/ubik-uno-solid-performance-smartphone-at-unbeatabl/

BuddyJ
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Thinking about getting the note 5

hmm

I know people often ask me "what phone should I get?"

If I were buying omgrightnow it would be a OnePlus One. Unbeatable value, top-notch specs.

If I had some time to kill, the Moto X Pure.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

@shwaip said:
    Thinking about getting the note 5

hmm

I am as well. I had the Note 2 and liked a lot of the features. I now have the Note 4 and find a lot of what I liked previously is a lot better in the 4, especially the S-Pen apps. I can't believe I am actually excited the Note 5 will be out within the next few weeks. I just updated to Jellybean and my Note 4 is way faster than it was before.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Seems like a fine device. Basically a MediaTek equivalent of the OPO.

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2015

I backed it. Looks pretty cool, and the price is right. I'll be replacing my Nexus 5. The GPS has finally gotten on my last nerve.

//Edit: Changed my mind. Going to wait to see what happens toward the end of the year or early next year.