Windows 10 launches this week. AMA.

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@Annes said:
    QCH is there a way for me to get my Win10 Enterprise on? I am just so impatient.

If you're on a VLK/KMS/etc, then it's probably going to be a completely different process. The licensing is a totally different animal.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

For enterprises, you'll get it if you have SA. But obviously not automatically.

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Still haven't gotten my notification yet. I have sads.

same for me...somehow this may be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps the dust should settle a bit first.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2015

First install was flawless. It was an easy machine that I use for Hyper-V and sometimes Folding@Home - usually nothing else. Since there's almost no software installed and no real data, I didn't even back it up. Everything seems to work and I've made a first pass through the privacy settings, shutting down the feedback. I had everything open for the Preview copies, since that's to help the cause.

Next is the Windows 7 box that I use for everything. That one I'll back up.

edit to add: I will wait at least several weeks to see how other people do with Windows 7 and older apps before upgrading my main computer. My wife will likely not allow her PC to be touched until they upgrade on her job.

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

@Annes said:
    QCH is there a way for me to get my Win10 Enterprise on? I am just so impatient.

Windows 10 Enterprise has dropped for those with MSDN accounts. For Volume License customers it is expected to be released next week with the KMS and MAK license Codes. Until then, no. Individual users will not ever be able to upgrade Windows X Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise. Most Enterprises do not want users doing upgrades.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Confirmed... the upgrade process didn't affect the bootloader. Kind of surprised by that actually. Could have just left the drive encrypted.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

The installer just told me That Windows Media Center would be uninstalled, and that it is unavailable in Windows 10, so I backed out of the install.

Windows Media Center is pretty important to me. I use it nearly every day to watch things that are stored on my PC from the XBox.

So, my question is:

WTF, yo?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I did not know that XBox supported any remote video play other than WMC. It didn't last time I looked, or I would never have used it in the first place... :O

Looks like you have to pay for Plex on XBox?

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/windows/playto?

Shouldn't the Xbox support playing video from shares by default? It's been a while since I tried, though.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I'd honestly be shocked if it can't play DLNA enabled stuff. Which you can get on your PC pretty easily. I am doing it with my firestick.

First gripe, the upgrade automatically installed Candy Crush Saga on my computer. :rolleyes:

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Ok, I am getting dat upgrayyed

What is the coolest feature that we should know about, but don't?

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

I just found this:
    Windows Key + Ctrl + (left or right arrow) – scroll through your virtual desktops, in either direction
    Windows Key + Control + D – this creates a new virtual desktop
    Windows Key + Ctrl + F4 – this closes a virtual desktop

BobbyDigiGargshwaip
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

@Thrax Windows 10 has a share button integrated into a lot of windows, can I customize what options are available when i click share?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Win + G opens up the Xbox Game Bar which, from what I can see so far, allows you to record video and screenshots in the background. It's built-in FRAPS.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Upgraded from DVD tonight. Took about an hour, NBD. Flawlessly installed. No issues. No errors.

Rather boring update, really.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

@Zanthian said:
    I just found this:
    Windows Key + Ctrl + (left or right arrow) – scroll through your virtual desktops, in either direction
    Windows Key + Control + D – this creates a new virtual desktop
    Windows Key + Ctrl + F4 – this closes a virtual desktop

oh
    my
    gosh

finally

GHoosdumGargardichoke
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

And if you have a Razer mouse, the Synapse software allows you to bind "next desktop" and "previous" desktop to spare mouse keys for ultra-fast virtual desktops.

Garg
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Keyboard Crossy Road is pretty fantastic.

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited July 2015

Updated. Nothing special.

I guess they are pretty much requiring you to get an MSN type account now?

Edit: You need to create a microsoft account but this can use any email address.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2015

Unfortunately, WMC is being deprecated. Per Microsoft's Windows 10 Specifications page. For DVD playing they are introducing a DVD player to replace it.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@TiberiusLazarus said:
    Updated. Nothing special.

I guess they are pretty much requiring you to get an MSN type account now?

Edit: You need to create a microsoft account but this can use any email address.

You don't have to, but they do a good job of making the option to skip the Microsoft account as hard to find as possible.

GargStrikes
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian

I installed last night on my Intel rig, however I get an error on my AMD rig for some reason. I'll look into it more when I am home tonight.

All I remember is that after the download it just gives a message to restart the OS and try again.

Okay, legit question time for @Thrax

After the upgrade, my laptop insists on hibernating after I close the lid. I've already checked the power settings and it is set to sleep when the lid is closed, not hibernate. Still, I close the lid and when I come back my machine has to resume from hibernate. Any suggestions on new "features" I should check that might do this? Any known issues that might cause it?

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Windows is saying my retail key ins't valid. Looks like I'll be waiting for an eternity today trying to figure out what's wrong. Install on my laptop went flawlessly though, so that's good.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    Okay, legit question time for Thrax

After the upgrade, my laptop insists on hibernating after I close the lid. I've already checked the power settings and it is set to sleep when the lid is closed, not hibernate. Still, I close the lid and when I come back my machine has to resume from hibernate. Any suggestions on new "features" I should check that might do this? Any known issues that might cause it?

Does powercfg -h off not work, or do you want to have hibernate available and just not on lid close?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    Okay, legit question time for Thrax

Going through POST? Is hybrid sleep activated?