Windows 10 launches this week. AMA.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Going through POST? Is hybrid sleep activated?

Hmm... now that you mention it, no, I don't think it went through POST (though my laptop POSTs so quickly it's easy to miss)... What is this hybrid sleep you speak of? Is that something that was not in 7?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Hybrid Sleep was new to Windows 8 and makes a return in 10. It stores cached versions of the slowest-to-load binaries in Windows, allowing the device to gain hibernation's power benefits with the wake speed of sleep. It's very good.

Well, if this is hybrid sleep I can definitely say it does NOT have the wake speed of sleep. It's at least twice as long to wake up from whatever it's doing now compared to sleep under Windows 7.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2015

Went and played with the XBox, and found that it can play stuff from the Plex server without actually installing the Plex client, and it doesn't seem to have any more problems with codecs and playback than the WMC client does (and it's a bit snappier actually).

The interface is balls, but that's okay. I guess I'll try again to upgrade to Win10 soon.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Is hybrid sleep the thing that kills my laptop's battery if I use "Shut Down" in Windows but don't immediately reboot into Linux and shut down again? I'd like to know which option that is so I can turn it off.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

This will require someone more with more knowledge than me, but Windows 10 does not "shutdown" the way 7 did (and maybe 8). It puts the board in a low power state, but not fully off.
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    Is hybrid sleep the thing that kills my laptop's battery if I use "Shut Down" in Windows but don't immediately reboot into Linux and shut down again? I'd like to know which option that is so I can turn it off.

I know that in Linux, sometimes Wake-on-LAN settings can cause that behavior... but I feel like Windows knows better.

@Ryder said:
    This will require someone more with more knowledge than me, but Windows 10 does not "shutdown" the way 7 did (and maybe 8). It puts the board in a low power state, but not fully off.
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

This is not how hybrid shutdown works. The system doesn't go into a low power state, it is fully off. However, instead of reinitializing all of the Windows binaries into a fresh instance of the user environment, some aspects of that environment are instead cached to a hibernation file. Windows can skip a lot of the "load file, read contents, create environment" crap that slows down boot.

Android boots similarly after all the cache/dalvik/odex files are generated. It can skip those steps.

Garg

@drasnor said:

If you have an Intel-based notebook, Intel has a nasty battery drain bug on Windows 10. Could be related to that.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

14 million computers updated yesterday. A this rate 5 billion over the next year. That's how this works yeah?

@Karma said:
    14 million computers updated yesterday. A this rate 5 billion over the next year. That's how this works yeah?

Microsoft estimates 1.5 billion people will eventually be on win10.

Hybrid sleep is turned off. Interestingly, Hibernate after is set to "Never" on battery and "180 minutes" when plugged in (which was definitely NOT the case pre-upgrade). I assume that it's hibernating after being asleep for 180 minutes? :wtf:

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian

This is the error I get after 100% download ..."Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again."

I've restarted and tried 3 times and get the same each time.

Any ideas?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@csimon said:
    This is the error I get after 100% download ..."Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again."

Any ideas?

Run chkdsk c: /r /f
    Memtest

• @csimon said:

Any ideas?

Maybe check your event logs for a more detailed description of the problem.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

How do I install this on a minidesktop with only a 32gb drive? I attempted to install on my hp minidesktop that I use in our media center, but it claimed it needed 9gb of space to install. I lowered the page file, removed the hibernation file, and all personal files which got me to 9.5gb of free space. I tried the insall again and it claimed it needed 11.1 gb of free space to install, which seems impossible on this system. Although microsoft claims it should work. What do?

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Found it!
    There was a site with an example:

When it said choose another drive, it made me think it was asking for another drive to install windows on. It really means it will move the windows.old files onto the external drive. I am giving this a try now.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I ended up using this https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3a6znd/we_couldnt_update_the_system_reserved_partition/csaabay

and unplugging all of my not OS drives before it would work. I didn't test those independently though, so it could have just been having extra drives plugged in.

@primesuspect said:
    Win + G opens up the Xbox Game Bar which, from what I can see so far, allows you to record video and screenshots in the background. It's built-in FRAPS.

Windows told me I could not into video, and linked me here:
    http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-on-windows/system-requirements/pc-hardware-requirements-for-game-dvr

jerks...

@CB said:
    Windows told me I could not into video

Wait... Are you saying you don't have a GPU that meets those requirements?

... and you play... games on this thing?

GHoosdumZanthian

GPU names are so confusing, that I have no idea what cards are considered to exceed the ones on the list on that page. I have a GeForce GTS 450.

My card is neat, and records video from other apps, so either I have a card that is on their list and Windows thinks its not, or my card is not on the list when it should be.

either way... jerks.

Annes

Try downloading the latest drivers.

No, never mind. You have a GTS 540 and you need a 600 or higher.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Grabbed the Minecraft Beta, since it's free for previous owners.

Works really well. Can't tell quite what point it's sync'd to with the java version, so I'm not sure what kind of functionality is missing. But for regular vanilla Minecraft it works great. Very smooth.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

So for those of you who hate the log in screen that Windows doesn't let you currently change easily. Here is a little utility that does it for you, worked like a charm for me.

Garg
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2015

So I did the upgrade from 7, pulled my new windows 10 key out, and did a reinstall on a new drive but the key is invalid. I called Microsoft and was essentially told I need to reinstall 7 and do the upgrade again. I was under the impression that you could do a clean install to 10 with the upgrade...

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

I don't think you had to extract the new key. Once you do the upgrade and are doing a clean install, skip the page where it asks for a cd key. When the installation finishes, it'll be activated.

Install Win7, upgrade to win10, use "Reset PC" feature inside 10.

This will be a clean, activated install.

Allegedly you can also use your win7 or win8 key if installing 10 fresh.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Allegedly you can also use your win7 or win8 key if installing 10 fresh.

This was not the case when I attempted to do so on 7/29 with an OEM Windows 7 Pro key on the hardware for which the key was licensed.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2015

@drasnor said:
    This was not the case when I attempted to do so on 7/29 with an OEM Windows 7 Pro key on the hardware for which the key was licensed.

I also tried throwing my 7 key in there, no luck. Guess, I'll reinstall 7 tonight, dang it.