A Conundrum

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian
edited August 2015 in Lifestyle

Warning: Extremely long post.

I know this probably should belong on the "Let's Bitch About Our Jobs" thread, but I am making it separate because I need some help/advice. As some of you know, back in February, I got a job at McDonald's. I have been working there for about 6-7 months. When I was hired on, I was pretty lucky that I was able to find some cool bosses. One of them understood my passion for racing (late husband drove Bigfoot and went to a lot of races) and let me have the weekends off so I could go back to my local short track. The other gave me a list of beers and alcohol to try and keeps suggesting stuff, as well as his dad might have some old Bill Elliott collectables he might sell to me. Now, I am always one to give 100% in everything that I do, and that includes my current job. Everything was going great until recently. Boss #1, as I'll call her, has a tendency to assign and keep me in one area: the lobby. Now, when we get busy, like on the 1st of every month when everyone gets their SSI checks, there's plenty to do to keep me busy. However, towards the middle and end of the month, we get some slow hours during my shift to where there's a lack of stuff to do. When that happens, under Boss #2 or just the lower superiors, I usually shift to items that need done, like dishes, ice bags, trays, etc. However, when Boss #1 is there, one of my lower superiors can ask me to shift to something and she'll say "He needs to stay in the lobby", even though there's barely anyone in there and I've already made my rounds.

Then there's the fact that she hired another maintenance (my "official" title) guy. Now, I have nothing against him. He's a good guy. The problem is that he does nearly everything that I do right before I even clock in. For example, ice is already filled, trash has been taken out, tables cleaned, floor swept, all while I'm there waiting to clock in, essentially. That leaves me with nothing to do, so I'll volunteer to do dishes. Boss #1: "Nope. I need you in my lobby." Again, my co-worker is just doing what he is hired to do. But because our shifts overlap, it can cause some problems. Boss #1 always told me that she keeps me on there because she say I'm always "Johnny on the spot" if something needs done out there. But how can Johnny be useful if there's nothing to spot?

Another thing is that the relationship between Boss #1 has become strained. For example, on Saturday, I was working lobby (as usual) when she told me that the tea needed changed. She then started to tell me how I didn't change the stickers (we have time stickers on quite a few things there) on the tea urns. One problem: I didn't change the tea urns, because if I did, the stickers would have been changed immediately.
So I proceed to tell her, out of earshot of customers and in the nicest way possible, "For the record, I didn't change the teas, but I'll get the stickers right away." She then snaps at me and sends me home. Now, should I have said that, maybe not. But at the same time, I have worked there long enough that they have a record of my quality of work.

Now you may be asking, why am I telling you guys all this? Well, it has gotten to a point that I am seriously considering quitting my job. As I write this, I am considering not even showing up on Monday (it would be the first time ever). However, I am having reservations on that decision. For starters, I was lucky to get cool bosses on the first try. They set the bar pretty high in regards to the kind of bosses I would like to work for. Boss #2, as well as the lower superiors, still treat me fairly. Second, I am not certain I can get another job. Third, I need the money to support myself.

So as of now, I have three choices:

1.) Stay, tough it out, and hope everything gets better before I earn enough to pay for my truck (a topic for another thread).

2.) Just quit right then and there (on Monday for example) and get the hell out of Dodge.

3.) Turn in my 2 weeks after this weekend and hope another job is available somewhere else, and just let this ol' wheel keep on rollin' down the road.

I would like to hear what you guys think I should do.

Thanks.

aspieRommel

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

My advice: tough it out till you find another position and then put in your two weeks. That way you will be able to get reference from your bosses.

ZanthianCBprimesuspectGnomeQueen
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Church4252 said:
    My advice: tough it out till you find another position and then put in your two weeks. That way you will be able to get reference from your bosses.

I'm hoping that will be soon. GameStop will be doing some holiday hiring here soon and I seem to be on good terms with at least a couple of managers at a couple stores. So hopefully that will go well enough to go somewhere.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

Just keep at it. Also look elsewhere that you might be interested. If your heart is at GS then make sure you fill out the application. If you already have, great.

CB
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

Like @Church4252 said, don't leave a job unless you have another, and don't burn bridges.

CBGarg
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited August 2015

Stick it out man, it is always easier to find a job whilst you have one. Take it from someone who is tempted every day to tell his boss he is a fucking idiot who needs to just go fuck himself and get the fuck over his colossal ego. (Keeps sounding better each time I think of it tbh). Meh, I am defeating my own point. Point is don't burn bridges that you may need to recross later.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Always a better idea to look fit a job while having a job. If anything the hour of a new position can make the original crap job less bad. You can just keep thinking, I'm almost out and zone through your work day.