GPU debate: GeForce GTX or Quadro

photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
edited September 2015 in Hardware

I'm currently debating a new GPU as my current one no longer meets my needs.

The two cards that are in the running for replacement are:

• EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (2816 CUDA Cores)
  • PNY Quadro M4000 8GB (1664 CUDA Cores)

Primary uses are general computing, and Adobe CC products (Lightroom, Photoshop, and Indesign)
Occasional use with Solidworks 2015, AutoDesk Revit MEP, visual studio 2015, matlab

I'm a bit torn between the two as I'm unsure whether the Quadro with more memory (and specialized drivers) would be better for performance or if the GTX with more processing units and a little less memory would be better for performance.

From the system requirements I have these minimum specifications.

• 2 GB of dedicated VRAM (probably need at least 4 GB since I have two 1920x1200 displays)
  • OpenGL 3.3 - capable
  • DirectX 11 - capable with Shader Model 3

So is it better to have more memory or more processing units?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Of the two, the GeForce is likely to be more broadly software app compatible. Lightroom especially can be picky about what Quadro cards it will get along with.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I'm going to go with a pretty opposite answer to the above. With the correct drivers, the Quadro should beat the 980 by far for the rendering tasks you outlined. General computing can be accomplished with either, but a workstation card is designed to perform better for certain tasks, and you mentioned some of them. If you do not plan on gaming, go with the M4000. If you want to game on this card, go with the 980.

photodude
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Quadro will annihilate GeForce for DCC tasks.

photodudeUPSLynx
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member

I mostly agree that the Quadro will likely be better due to the performance drivers.

But lets assume both cards were GTX or both were Quadro... so assuming all other things are equal; is it better to have more memory or more processing units?

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

More memory, especially in DCC operations. Processing units are a dime a dozen at the top end nowadays. When you're working on giant files, frame buffer is where it counts.

photodudeThraxTushon
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited September 2015

Here is a video memory rule of thumb I recent came up with based on specs and a few other things I've read.
    Start with the highest minimum recommendation, or performance recommendation, listed for any program you use.
    (2GB is the minimum listed for Lightroom CC15 and large resolution monitors)
    For each monitor you have, add that minimum amount again.
    (2 monitors → 2GB + 2GB = 4GB minimum)
    From there possibly add 2-4GB for large or high resolution files or 4-8GB additional for video editing work.

That puts my video memory requirements at 6-8GB with a 4GB floor.

Doesn't exactly change my options but it gives me some piece of mind on what cards to look at.

Now I just need to come up with justification on what a good minimums for CUDA Cores would be.