'Murican Football 2015

Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian ScoundrelIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

Preseason done, let the trashtalking, theorycrafting, and profuse drinking commence!

Oh, and this.

pigflipperJBoogalooUPSLynxardichokeGHoosdum

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
  • Well.... I've decided with nine players and some difficulty getting it arranged it would be best to just go with a simple pick em league. I had trouble getting some extras to join this year as they have committed to other leagues and what not.

I did create a pick em league which is easy to do each week and does keep the community at least a little engaged in football talk.

Yahoo Leage ID - GROUP ID# 36311

Password is smacktalk1

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

GnomeQueen
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

They might as well be loud, the Chiefs sure aren't winning anything. And that game was against the Raiders. They make everyone look good.

Chooch

@CrazyJoe said:
    They might as well be loud, the Chiefs sure aren't winning anything. And that game was against the Raiders. They make everyone look good.

Bengals Playoff Record (all-time) : 5-13 27.8%
    Chiefs Playoff Record (all-time) : 8-15 34.7%
    49ers Playoff Record (all-time) : 31-21 59.6%
    Patriots Playoff Record (all-time) : 28-18 60.9%
    Cowboys Playoff Record (all-time) : 34-26 56.6%
    Steelers Playoff Record (all-time) : 33-22 60.0%
    Packers Playoff Record (all-time) : 31-20 62.0%
    Lions Playoff Record (all-time) : 7-12 36.8%

Looks like the Chiefs are winning more than your Bengals :p

Koreish

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@fatcat said:

The outcry is still real, if we can ditch Goodell for someone competent that may change, soon.

JBoogaloo
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@fatcat said:

I hate how Football basically started when the marketing department changed the name of the championship game to the Super Bow. It ignores the 60 years previous.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Rick from Gold and Silver Pawn (Pawn Stars) has more rings than every current NFL franchise combined

Considering that franchises don't get rings... players do, every player that has ever won a Superbowl has more rings than each of the franchises.

That image is incorrect on many levels.

My opinion: Brady is a good football player, but his legacy will always have an asterisk now.

-Digi

TushonCreeperbane2GnomeQueenardichoke
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

Pretty sad when you think about all the players that have had to sell their rings after leaving the NFL.

edited September 2015

So does Jerry Rice also have an asterisk on his legacy for admitting to using stickum on his gloves?

"more probable than not..."

@fatcat said:
    So does Jerry Rice also have an asterisk on his legacy for admitting to using stickum on his gloves?

"more probable than not..."

So you justify cheating, by pointing out cheating......good argument.

• http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

This account pretty much condemns the Patriots as getting caught cheating, having the league cover it up to protect their ill gotten legacy, then ultimately thanking the league by having the arrogance to cheat some more. That's why they went at Brady so hard.

You really can't defend their legacy. It is forever tarnished. Even another Bowl win can't save it in the minds of a reasonable and objective fan.

@Winfrey said:
    Pretty sad when you think about all the players that have had to sell their rings after leaving the NFL.

Very few are actually player rings. Most of the times the championship rings that you see up for sale are from front office people, trainers, and all that they all get rings. They are slightly different than the player rings though if I remember correctly not as bling.

@Cliff_Forster said:
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

This account pretty much condemns the Patriots as getting caught cheating, having the league cover it up to protect their ill gotten legacy, then ultimately thanking the league by having the arrogance to cheat some more. That's why they went at Brady so hard.

You really can't defend their legacy. It is forever tarnished. Even another Bowl win can't save it in the minds of a reasonable and objective fan.

I am generally incredibly reasonable and objective. I COULD NOT GIVE A SINGLE FLYING SHIT ABOUT DEFLATED BALLS, or spygate for that matter. And as a Browns/OSU fan I am supposed to despise Belicheck and Brady. To me this just such a non issue it's absurd. Shit, most of the players don't even think it was that big of a deal the balls things, HOW am I supposed to care when players don't even give a shit about the issue?

Water is still wet...I still said they probably cheated and I'm not surprised...still don't care though https://t.co/zl43o7CB3J

— Torrey Smith (@TorreySmithWR) September 3, 2015

I mean that's coming from a raven's player. So a team that has nothing but hate for the patriots.

People get all sanctimonious about the NFL and it's fucking absurd. But generally only when it comes to this shit. I mean their PED "Testing program" is the worst in all of american sports and let's be honest football is probably the sport where it gets abused the most, but people don't care about that or it's impact on the game. (Disclaimer I don't give a shit about it in baseball either but that was a huge deal for some reasons I'll never understand.). Let's stop pretending we give a shit about sanctity (lol again seriously it's so fucking dumb) of the game and take football for what it's worth, some entertainment for a few hours like 20 weekends out of the year.

Or you know just keep harping on this stuff, like it matters I don't really care it's up to you.

@Creeperbane2 said:
    So you justify cheating, by pointing out cheating......good argument.

Jerry Rice admitted he cheated, Tom Brady never did, nor did the investigation prove it, as to why I said "more probable than not"

If you believe Tom is a cheater, than so be it. If you hate the Patriots because they win, a lot, so be it.

The Patriots have been punished for both Spygate and Deflategate. They are probably the most hated team in the NFL. ESPN has generally been anti-Patriots all along.

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady will forever be in the discussion of greatest of all time, whatever your opinion. Deal with it

• Before I turn this into a lets troll @Fatcat for liking cheaters thread, I'll just say my part in the most elegant way I know how and I'll let it rest.

To be fair a place where @Fatcat and I will likely agree. I'm glad Brady and the NFLPA won the appeal. Your employer should not be permitted to illegally obtain phone and computer records then use it against your in a disciplinary hearing. What the NFL did was gross overreach and frankly illegal. If Brady were to sue them he would likely win that case as well. Roger Goodell is a megalomaniac that believes he is above the game. This was personal, it's obvious, and on a human level you might even be able to understand it if you just read the ESPN report.

For me it's simple. You discover a loophole in the game that teams can take advantage of, you close it. You change the rule, make sure only an NFL official handles the game balls, they handle the inflation, they are held to the strictest level of accountability for doing it properly. Boom, problem solved going forward, but this was personal because... Spygate.

Spygate will always be a blight on the Patriots legacy and they would have stopped at nothing to win another bowl to erase that notion. @Fatcat a direct question, as a fan of the game, not a specific team, was having NFL officials destroy the tapes and the binders of evidence even remotely ethical? Don't you feel a little cheated as a fan?

Why did they destroy it? I mean if it doesn't prove that their technique for spying gave them an illegal edge, why not let the public see it and decide it wasn't that big a deal? It's really simple to see, it was damning and they needed to bury it. The integrity of three super bowl champions came into question, and it was easier to sweep it under the rug than to explain to NFL fans that the product they tuned into every Sunday was dirty, if not occasionally fixed for all we know. (With the recent flux of online gambling and fantasy betting?)

So Goodell cuts the Pats a deal that day, in the best interest of the league and the fans what they don't know won't hurt them as badly... We cover this up, you loose a pick, Bill B. eats some crow for the entire organization, and life goes on, just don't let me catch you doing it again.... Now you have this megalomaniac commissioner who pretty much thinks he is the Lord of all things pro football and he finds out they were doing something that may be even remotely embarrassing to the league? He wants to crush them after what he did to protect them. It makes perfect sense if you follow the trail.

And saying ESPN has it out for the Pats is just silly. They wrote a story, reported with sources that to me paints the entire picture. This is about a post spy gate betrayal and Goodell figuring out that he doesn't have what it takes to clean up the game. If he could go back in time he should release the tapes and binders to the public, let us decide what they mean, and strip them of their titles and permanently ban everyone involved. Instead you have Patriots fans living in denial and everyone else wondering if the game will ever be more important than the product again.

fatcat
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2015

The Patriots are in full on no fucks given mode like they were in 2007..............and it has been 4 years since the Giants won a Super Bowl. Not sure why we even bother having this season to be honest.

Cliff: I generally agree with your assessment of the absurdity that is the Deflategate. But I'm curious as to why the ravens, or any team beforehand never reported under-inflated balls? (heh)

Banning personnel or striping their titles seems extreme to me. I think Belichick should have gotten a one year suspension for Spygate, much like Sean Peyton did for the bounty scandal. Mangini should have also been fined/suspended for being part of it and being a snitch-bitch. And I don't think you can honestly say the Patriots made it to 6 Superbowls simply because of Spy/Deflategate. There is a lot more involved.

Finally, any fan who believes their team is innocent of "bending" rules is in more denial than any Patriot fan

Cliff_Forster
  • True @fatcat

As a baseball guy, often when a guy loads up the ball, or corks a bat as fans we pretty much laugh it off. In fact it can even be entertaining to watch pitchers that you suspect are doing, where they hide it, maybe even trying to guess when offspeed stuff is coming based on certain behaviors, it's like a game inside a game. The PED thing was more of a long term health concern, so that was handled far more seriously as it should be.

In football the idea that a guy could be savy enough to tamper with the ball to soften it up for whatever reason, feels a little better in the hand, or more likely that it makes it a touch easier to catch, okay, whatever... ha ha he likes his balls soft. Like you said I'm 99% sure other teams find little methods like that to gain a very marginal edge. Stickum was a thing for awhile. Other retired QB's have even admitted to having staff rub them down with fine emery cloth on rainy days to try and make them a little easier to grip when wet. Guys biting each other at the bottom of a pile. So going back to spygate even, I don't find the teams behavior nearly as objectionable as I do the leagues treatment of it. With the Ray Rice embarrassment last year there is strong enough evidence to suggest that both the league office and Ravens officials tried to bury the evidence there to protect the player and the league image... I guess what we see is that the truth tends to find a way. Best thing that could happen is Goodell goes and we get someone in there with a better sense of ethics, but that might not happen because league revenue has never been better. Even negative press like this drives revenue for them and their partners. Nobody controls the sports news cycle like the NFL. They are brilliant with it.

That said, the Pats are still a pretty fantastic franchise, but they do cheat, just how much relative to other organizations? Hard to say, but I'm with you, I'm sure it goes on. Like on the baseball side, I'm a huge O's fan, I know they do a ton of dirty stuff to manipulate the 25 and 40 man. It's not exactly cheating as much as its marginally unethical. Like a guy is having a bad month that they don't have club options on, he will mysteriously get "injured" carrying his groceries in the house of something so they can give him a rehab stint (send him to the minors for a bit without an option and freeing up a 25 man spot while he gets his shit together)... They do this kinda roster weirdness a few times a season since our current GM got here. In a purely black and white world, you yell "CHEATER!"... but the world isn't black and white, it's never that simple, and for those of us who can appreciate a little nuance and gamesmanship we go... okay, that's kinda clever. It does go under the microscope when you win it all though, and that's what we have here.

That said, I'll be glad when they just start playing football this season and hopefully the issue will be filed under "weird football stuff" rather than "OMG everybody hate Tom Brady stuff!"... I mean it's okay to hate him, but for the right reasons ya know? Hate him because he cries like a girl every time Suggs knocks him on his skinny GQ ass, but not because he digs soft balls.

• pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

This thread is everything I expected it to be.

TushonRyder
    edited September 2015

@pragtastic said:
    This thread is everything I expected it to be.

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

So how about Pittsburgh's headsets with those interference issues last night...

@trooster89 said:
    So how about Pittsburgh's headsets with those interference issues last night...

Both teams had problems with the radio broadcast interfering with headsets. "After the game, NFL spokesman Michael Signora issued a statement on the behalf of the league, explaining that the equipment is handled by the league. " so, yeah, go ahead, Pats were cheating..... :rolleyes:

in other news, Gronkowski is a descendant of Hercules

On the one hand, my colts lost, on the other SO DID THE BEARS BOOYAH! (My boss is a massive Bears fan, therefor I hate them)