Zippo Lighters: Tricks and Fashion

HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
edited October 2015 in Style

I'm sure there are some icrontians who have zippos for style or for tricks. I personally, as a former smoker, really missed the classy move of lighting someone's cigarette. Carrying a disposable lighter for that purpose seemed lame. So, I found myself carrying a zippo.

My first zippo was a plain satin finish steel(may have been nickel) zippo. I noticed people really got a kick out of this old school accessory, so I upgraded to a polished steel with Venetian pattern with the word HERO engraved on it. (My last name means hero in German.) Suddenly it became about what I thought was cool, as opposed to what other people thought was cool.

So with a classy fashion accessory, (one that I felt good about carrying in my fancy suit) I started playing with it. I found youtube videos of some pretty neat but simple tricks(or as I call them, flourishes) and started learning them. Now when I have an opportunity to bust out my beautiful sterling silver Venetian pattern custom engraved zippo, I do so with some style.

So let's talk about your zippo lighters...

PS: my current favorite is a silver version of my second zippo.

BobbyDigiMt_Goat

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

My Zippo is Matt Black with a Red Pinstripe on it.

I bought 'er for smoking before I learned that in my realm of smook smook, using a Zippo would risk inhaling the lighter fluid (obviously bad) so she mostly got used to light incense.

I've got down the Zippo trick rabbit hole on YouTube, some insane stuff. I got pretty good at one trick 1. Out of pocket quick flip forward 2. Swing back against leg to pop open the cap 3. Swing back forward striking with my jeans. Result was hand in pocket to lit lighter in about a second.

Makes me wonder where she is. I'll post a pic if I come across her.

-Digi

Hero
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

Planning to get a chrome zippo but replace the lighter fluid with butane, guy at the smoke shop said it wouldn't mess with the flavour the same way.

Not sure when I'll do it though, I don't smoke enough as is to warrant it.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Mess with the flavor? If your lighter is effecting the taste of your smoke, you're doing it wrong.

-Digi

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

I don't remember exactly.

Something about not using lighter fluid with tobacco, I dunno.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

The one I own, 1935 Replica

HeroUPSLynxoni_dels
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:
    Mess with the flavor? If your lighter is effecting the taste of your smoke, you're doing it wrong.

-Digi

You can taste a difference in cigars. Lighter fluid doesn't burn as clean as butane. You can get butane inserts for retrofitting zippos. I think they also come in soft flame now.

oni_dels
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

@Signal said:
    You can taste a difference in cigars. Lighter fluid doesn't burn as clean as butane. You can get butane inserts for retrofitting zippos. I think they also come in soft flame now.

You shouldn't be using a lighter to light your cigars anyway. Use a wood stick match. If you want to get really fancy I've heard of these nice sticks of wood that you light with a match or lighter and then light your cigar with the burning stick.

Last night I was sitting on my porch listening to music and messing with my lighter. I didn't realize him much time my lighter was accumulating lit, and I messed one of my tricks up. It hit my forearm and now I have a brand on my arm with clearly defined holes from the wick shroud. Lesson learned. :dunce:

BobbyDigi
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

@XGPHero said:
    You shouldn't be using a lighter to light your cigars anyway. Use a wood stick match. If you want to get really fancy I've heard of these nice sticks of wood that you light with a match or lighter and then light your cigar with the burning stick.

You shouldn't be using matches to light cigars, matches put out sulpher. You can buy cedar sticks to light with a match, but it's just easier to use clean burning butane lighters. Less flavor imparted than wood.

As for the branding, we've all been there. Playing with a lighter, then painfully reminded "oh yeah, fire makes things hot"

oni_dels
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited October 2015

@primesuspect said:
    You shouldn't use burning sticks to light your cigars. You should be using pure elemental fire summoned from the heart of the star Sol's nuclear inferno.

Savages.

See you're making a joke, but there are people that think like that.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Signal said:
    See you're making a joke, but there are people that think like that.

I know. There are people who think like that for literally every hobby

Annes
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

something something gold-plated digital audio cables with oxygenated copper something something

edited October 2015

What surprised me about the brand I got, is that the flame would be on for half a second and off for ~2. It just never occurred to me that it would get that hot under those conditions. :dunce:

It literally bounced off my arm as it fell. The amount of time it was in contact with my skin could best be measured in milliseconds. That's how hot it got

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Butane is fine for cigars and supior to matches because it's a clean burning fuel.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I have two.

The one on the left isn't a Zippo, but a vintage Nimrod Commander pipe lighter, circa 1960. It's perfect for lighting pipes. Works like a charm.

The one on the right is a zippo, and if you've played The Saboteur, then you know. You just know. @primesuspect knows.

ChoochBuddyJ
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I know.

UPSLynxGHoosdumBuddyJ
  • @Snarkasm said:
    something something gold-plated digital audio cables with oxygenated copper something something

something something gold plated monster hdmi cables something something better quality 4k image something something purer sound

I kept buying zippos back in the day when I had the need to carry fire with me... people kept stealing them (or they otherwise kept going missing). Buncha savages in this town.

I've had countless disposable lighters go missing, but never a zippo. Mostly because I almost always light their cigarette, rather than giving my zippo to them. But on the rare occasion that I just let them use it, they are always very conscious about giving it back. I think the habit of putting it in their pocket doesn't apply to this strange shaped fire starting device.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@ardichoke said:

something something gold plated monster hdmi cables something something better quality 4k image something something purer sound

I kept buying zippos back in the day when I had the need to carry fire with me... people kept stealing them (or they otherwise kept going missing). Buncha savages in this town.

Don't forget the risers to keep the electrons off the floor.

I've had people want to borrow my lighter to open beer bottles before. Do that with Bics, not lighters that cost money.

Hero
  • @Signal said:
    I've had people want to borrow my lighter to open beer bottles before. Do that with Bics, not lighters that cost money.

I have a bottle opener on my keyring for that purpose. Keep people from trying to use the edge of my counter tops to open beer bottles. I may well beat the first person that chips my counter top.

Hero
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    I have a bottle opener on my keyring for that purpose. Keep people from trying to use the edge of my counter tops to open beer bottles. I may well beat the first person that chips my counter top.

I don't think I've ever known someone who I'd consider a friend who would think that was the right thing to do. I think I might de-friend them IRL if I found out.

BobbyDigiCBHeroprimesuspect
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Anyone else have trouble with a Zippo's lighter fluid constantly drying up? I swear I get one use out of it per refill because I only use it a few times a year and it's dry again by the next use.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

@Linc said:
    Anyone else have trouble with a Zippo's lighter fluid constantly drying up? I swear I get one use out of it per refill because I only use it a few times a year and it's dry again by the next use.

working as intended. you could always try to make a rubber seal to slow down the evaporation, but i'd just squirt a couple shots of fuel in when you intend to use it

BobbyDigiLinc

I tried the conservative route when I wasn't going out very often...It ended up just being harder to light. If you only use it once in a while, you might as well just fill it before you leave the house. It's not like it takes a lot of fluid to fill.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

haven't use them in a while. they are stored away in a box with my wooden pipes.

HeroUPSLynx

FF7 zippo?! Is it really zippo brand?

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

@XGPHero said:
    FF7 zippo?! Is it really zippo brand?

i bought it in china town, so i'm gonna say no...
    works fine though. Advent Children logo on the other side.

Still cool. :thumbsup:

oni_dels