'Murican Football 2015

Comments

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

I was talking about the batting... I know the strip was legit, although the more I watched the replay, the more it looks to me like it was somewhat of an accident. It looked to me like he was tucking his arm for collision, and he happened to hit the ball.

And as far as win/loss records, I could care less. Lately I haven't been able to catch too many games, so when I do catch a game, I just pay attention to the game by itself, and not as part of a season.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2015

Its funny how you're more upset about that call then I am. I am right now more mad at the organization that they will not stand up against the league for the die hard fans that for some odd reason (myself included) continue to support this organization. But they will not do anything when yet ANOTHER blown call on a rule that no one knew about. And the Lions will not show any emotions about it. For as long as I have been have a Lions fan I have never, EVER, heard from the owners at all about anything this serious. Deflate-gate? You heard from Kraft. The "Dez Bryant caught the call" during last year playoffs. You heard from Jones. A no call "Pass Interference" during the Cowboys game and "Batted ball"....crickets.

I know the Lions are the laughing stock of the league. Doesn't change the fact that I will root for this sorry ass organization.

I'm in no way upset, but that kind of stuff is interesting to me. When I call it a "crap call" I'm calling it what it is, not crying about it. Not that anyone suggested I was crying, but just to be clear.

In fact I was happy to see that the coach didn't try to challenge the official review, unlike someone the week before who lost a timeout for that.

Couldn't challenge that call. It's unviewable

The batting? They've been showing replays of that all week. What do you mean it's unbelievable? As far as I know, the only reason they couldn't challenge was because they had already had an official review.

Batting the football out of bounds is not reviewable because it's a judgement call. And last i know judgement call penalties is not reviewable. Officials didn't go under the hood.

Meh, I might have been drunk. Lol. I thought they went under the hood.

@_k said in another thread...

Cliff_Forster
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2015

So the new Rams stadium is going to cost taxpayers an estimated $215 million more than what was originally projected. I think that Trojan should be one of the sponsors for the new stadium so the slogan Kroenke can roll out is "Ram the Taxpayers with a Trojan"

Edited for Sauce

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Koreish said:
    So the new Rams stadium is going to cost taxpayers an estimated $215 million more than what was originally projected. I think that Trojan should be one of the sponsors for the new stadium so the slogan Kroenke can roll out is "Ram the Taxpayers with a Trojan"

Edited for Sauce

When the fuck will this become illegal. It's absolutely absurd that owners somehow convince the cities to help fund their shit. The stadiums never ever bring enough revenue to really be considered an investment. Then the owners still have all the power over that stuff and the team. The funding usually comes from municipal bonds but still it's absurd that the city has to raise 500-1 billion dollars to essentially give over to billionaire owners/HUGELY successful league. There is no economic reasoning for publicly funded stadiums or stadiums really to take up any kind of prime real estate which they usually do. It's a purely for the joy of having a team I guess.

At least one of my hometown teams the Indians are doing private funded rennos (I think the Cavs are too if I remember correctly). Basically fuck publicly funded stadiums.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@Karma said:
    There is no economic reasoning for publicly funded stadiums

Sure there is. Consider all the out of towners that come to games, stay in hotels and eat at restaurants around the stadium. While staying for the weekend they will visit other attractions. Other events can be held there (other sports, concerts, etc.).

There is also the bid for a Superbowl host. You get that bad boy and the city is going to make its money back for sure.

-Digi

Cliff_Forsterfatcat
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

And sometimes, they give back to the community in return for the funding

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_25393698/santa-clara-soccer-moms-vs-49ers-heated-new

oh wait, no they don't.

ardichoke

@BobbyDigi said:
    -Digi

We are talking about 800+ million dollars, and also usually ongoing maintenance and future renovations. Tax revenues brought in just will never be able to reach that. There have been numerous studies done on publicly funded stadiums. There have been numerous studies on the economic impact of stadiums especially those publicly funded, all basically say no it's not worth it. Remind in me in a week I'll give a very thorough break down but I got a lot of shit coming up so can't right now.

BobbyDigi
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

St. Louis should tell the Rams to fuck off honestly. Hell the deal the Chiefs and Royals got for renovating the Truman Sports Complex was just as bullshit.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2015

@BobbyDigi said: You get that bad boy and the city is going to make its money back for sure.

Not really, Indianapolis took a loss on the last one we hosetd, then again we are more of a convention town than a sports town.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2015

@XGPHero said:
    The batting? They've been showing replays of that all week. What do you mean it's unbelievable? As far as I know, the only reason they couldn't challenge was because they had already had an official review.

You also cannot challenge any calls with less than two minutes left in the game.

@Winfrey said:
    St. Louis should tell the Rams to fuck off honestly. Hell the deal the Chiefs and Royals got for renovating the Truman Sports Complex was just as bullshit.

I honestly didn't think it was that bad considering that both our teams are pretty will grandfathered into those two stadiums. Whereas, some of the newer teams, or teams that have moved around / gotten a new stadium recently, will be asking for a new stadium every 15-20 years.

@BobbyDigi said:
    Sure there is. Consider all the out of towners that come to games, stay in hotels and eat at restaurants around the stadium. While staying for the weekend they will visit other attractions. Other events can be held there (other sports, concerts, etc.). There is also the bid for a Superbowl host. You get that bad boy and the city is going to make its money back for sure. -Digi

This isn't the case. Cities that make the bid for Super Bowls / Olympics and other big event like these often end up losing money. The entities behind the scenes usually demand a ludicrous amount of discounts and other things that hurt the city while benefiting the NFL, or IOC, or whatever. For example the NFL demands that stadiums put in ATMs belonging to the NFL which obviously benefits the NFL more than the city or the individual stadium.

All the NFL demands can be found here. Or at least the ones that have been leaked.

The most hilarious shit is that the NFL is a "nonprofit".

@Koreish it may be less bad than the full stadiums and stuff but still doesn't mean it's a good deal for the city.

A billion dollar company is an untaxable non-profit.

A 9.5 billion revenue per year company is untaxed. Jesus I think he NFL may just be the best run maffia of all time. Paid the injured veterans what like 600 million? Love football but man the NFL has a lot of issues.

• NCAA football may not be a bastion of standards and integrity, but they look like the boyscouts compared to the NFL. Basically 90% of the reason I like college football but can't stand pro.

I should look into how revenues work in the NCAA not sure if shared or what.

@ardichoke said:
    NCAA football may not be a bastion of standards and integrity, but they look like the boyscouts compared to the NFL. Basically 90% of the reason I like college football but can't stand pro.

True, I'm still confident a few playoffs games last season we're fixed to produce more profitable matchups. (Cough, Cowboys cough)

Another day, another win.

Cotls are going to make the playoff at 6-10 because AFCS is pathetic as usual.

@Koreish said:
    Cotls are going to make the playoff at 6-10 because AFCS is pathetic as usual.

It's absolutely ridiculous they've gotten to play the Jags, Titans, and Texans 6 times a season, at least two of them have been among the worst 5 in the league for last decade +. I for one look forward to the Colts getting destroyed in the playoffs, my favorite tradition.

Brady is going in hard on them I'm sure. He's been playing angry all season so far, and now he's about to play the team that ticked him off to begin with.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

@Koreish said:
    Brady is going in hard on them I'm sure. He's been playing angry all season so far, and now he's about to play the team that ticked him off to begin with.

They're already saying the Pats will put another 50 point game on Dallas. They also say the Rams will beat the Packers. Someone will win some money