good

let the hate flow through you

GnomeQueenportzebie
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    I am no good at this game.

I am also fucking dreadful. DREADFUL.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I think it's mostly because everybody I see has EVERYFUCKINGWEAPON EVER and I just insta-die when they see me because they have level 150fuckyou gun

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

have you tried to git gud?

RyderBobbyDigiBasilCanti
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I know I'm gonna sound like top shill™, but hear me out.

Everyone having every weapon sucks, but it isn't really the worst case of this game. Yeah, you might not have stuff unlocked, and that might put you in a disadvantage, but you do have options.

First of all, when you're playing, you're partnered up with another player (either by your choice, or automatically). In this case, you can spawn in using their hand, which means no matter what you have unlocked personally, you still have access to more weapons and abilities. A lot of people forget about this option, and granted, it's not made obvious to the player, but you're never really at a disadvantage just because you don't have levels.

Beyond that, it's important to think of this game more like an old school shooter. Holding right click to zoom in doesn't guarantee better shots and accuracy. Shooting from the hip is fine. Also, picking up powerups will give you more of an advantage, and sticking with teammates and playing objectives will help you stick to the top of the scoreboard.

And beyond all of that, this is a beta, so the star cards and hands are limited, so this puts some teams at disadvantages in certain situations. In walker assault, for instance, the rebels are screwed because they don't have anti-vehicle star cards in the beta, so the get rolled by the imperials who have AT-STs and TIE Fighters. Once the game fully releases, this will be fixed, because players will be able to adapt to the different situations.

Either way, Battlefront takes a different way of thinking, because it's not a typical shooter. I dunno, it's weird.

portzebie

Also, yeah, some people have been playing the beta nonstop for longer than a week, and since the content is limited, they're hardcore.

effing nerds, man.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2015

@UPSLynx said:
    Also, yeah, some people have been playing the beta nonstop for longer than a week, and since the content is limited, they're hardcore.

effing nerds, man.

Its awesome, dude, can't wait for the launch. Take my money.

UPSLynxGnomeQueen
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2015

Just hit lvl 5 after a few hours of play, did the single player junk. Uh it ain't that hard bro, its battlefield. The menus are actually a little confusing since everything is clickable when all I want are equipment, cosmetic and a REALLY BIG PLAY NOW BUTTON. Some of the objects extend way beyond the textures in the trenches which is super annoying. The weapon and card(equipment) are fairly standard. Everything is rather straight forward......until you keep hitting the 1 button after using the sniper rifle.......why........why do you have to do that. They honestly should have gone full battlefiend with squads because this 1 group in a team bs has got to go. Funny how easy it is to get spawn camped as a rebel. Glitches are minor right now but loosing my AT-ST spawn....bro Bro BBBRRROOOOO!

Game is a lot of fun, might actually buy a game within the month of its release. #getgud #w+m1 #n00bs #bangingtoimperialmarch #lukeismybitch

Mostly high settings with a few medium because ground detail and tessellation. 2048x1152
    4770k @ 3.5GHz 55% utilization, never really hit the 8th core
    60% memory usage, base usage is 45%
    GTX 970 GPU usage at 97%
    GTX 970 GPU memory usage at 50%

I'm not saying it's "hard". I'm saying I'm not good at it.

• I'm having no issues high settings on the FX 8350 / 16 GB RAM / R9 285 at 1080P.

I find the game to be a challenge as well. I'm not as good at shooters with open environments. I was awful at Tribes, I have never been a great Battlefield player. UT, TF2, Quake are more my jam, confined, fast, you see your enemy shooting at you. Still, fun as can be for the hour or so I just put in it. I'm certain I'll improve.

edited October 2015

I find playing in 3rd person the way to go. Gives you a much better field of vision and the ability to see over objects you're crouched behind.

As far as gameplay, drop zone is fun but took a while to get the spawn rotations figured out. It would be nice if there was some indication of which direction the enemy would be spawning from when a new pod dropped, and maybe there is, but I never noticed it.

The lvl 5 machine-gun is super OP compared to the other weapons.

Can you cancel you're shield after activating it? I never noticed how to if you can.

Matchmaking with friends was a huge pain in the ass. We had a 3 player party and took about 10 tries before we all finally ended up in the same game.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Played the beta for about an hour yesterday and all I can say is that the game feels right. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I have seen the movies a dozen times each and had tons of toys growing up. The scale of the AT-AT and ST walkers feels perfect. The models looks spot on. The sounds are perfect. The travel time of the blasters are exactly how I would have imagined it if I were a kid again. I'm pretty excited about this game overall.

Cliff_ForsterUPSLynx

@MAGIC said:

Can you cancel you're shield after activating it? I never noticed how to if you can.

Assume you're talking about the big squad shield. I don't think you can disable either of them, though. At least, not for what I could tell.

Also, the partying system is a total mess, and it's high on the priority list to fix by launch. When I've been playing with people, I've just joined solo then had others join in on me via Origin friend join. Usually have to wait in a small queue to get into the server (since it drops you solo into mostly-full servers), but it's not too bad.

Season pass is $50.

@UPSLynx are they currently trying to fix the AT-AT vulnerability reset from loss of uplink station.

• So let me get this straight, if I want all of the game, $120?

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    So let me get this straight, if I want all of the game, $120?

If you want "all" of any big AAA franchise game (especially FPS) now-a-days it's around $110. Every big franchise has a season pass now that: Halo, CoD, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Fallout, Skyrim... that list keeps going. $60-$70 for the game (deluxe/limited is usually $10 more) $40-50 for the season pass.

Yea it sucks, but we have unknowingly been subject to this before the season pass idea ever came out ($9.99 DLC/map pack/"expansion").

Anyhow, I digress, back on topic...

I have had a stupid amount of fun with the beta, even played in on XB1 and I wasn't too bad (need a keyboard and mouse tho). I've been looking forward to this since I found out about it. But I really need a better way to play with my friends in the game than the existing party/matchmaking/joining off a friend.

@Cliff_Forster said:

Welcome to the AAA game publishing world of 2012.

portzebie

@UPSLynx said:
    Also, the partying system is a total mess, and it's high on the priority list to fix by launch. When I've been playing with people, I've just joined solo then had others join in on me via Origin friend join. Usually have to wait in a small queue to get into the server (since it drops you solo into mostly-full servers), but it's not too bad.

More so talking about the personal shield. It'd be nice to be able to cancel it once you escape and get in a good position, which doesnt always happen by the time it falls off/gets shot off.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I hated it, probably because I didn't like Battlefield either and this is pretty much just "Battlefield in different costumes and laser noises".

I'll stick with Planetside for my large scale warfare, at least I don't drop to a single shot from someone a mile away no scoping

Ryder
  • @primesuspect said:
    Welcome to the AAA game publishing world of 2012.

It is interesting to me, the marketing logic. At one time an expansion was something that wasn't pre announced, it may of been in the pipe, but it wasn't transparent to the gamer. Expansions felt more like added content than part of the core experience. With a community based online shooter it seems imperative that everyone have access to the same community basics. Same maps and game modes so the community can stay together. Battlefront is a phenomenal title, but is it a $100+ entertainment value? When you consider how competitive the market is, you wonder how they manage to drive that demand. I got in on Titanfall late, I didn't need to pay that steep entry fee. I just paid $20 and now they have all the content merged. They had a similar model, so I was aware of it, but have never felt the sting.

Kills me, first time I've wanted a title on launch day in years. I'd like two copies, so my daughter and I can play together at the same time. It is cruddy but I'll probably settle for the basic game and wait until the community ultimately dries out and EA makes it part of the core experience (like they should have from the start to keep the community engaged)

On a positive note, having spent a couple days in Origin, the UI beats the piss out of Steam. I really like it, it's cleaner, better organized, the community overlay is better. Valve could learn a thing or two from EA about how to bring their dated UI into 2015.

_k
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2015

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Valve could learn a thing or two from EA about how to bring their dated UI into 2015.

That's always been the story of Steam: lightyears ahead on engineering, UI frozen in 2005. They took their design cues from AOL as far as I can tell.

_kCliff_Forster

@_k said:
    Season pass is $50.

UPSLynx are they currently trying to fix the AT-AT vulnerability reset from loss of uplink station.

Yep, known issue. Should be fixed by launch.

@Cliff_Forster said:

If you want all of the game, you buy it for sixty bucks and be done with it. Yes, we're making expansion packs for the game. If you skip them, you won't have any "less" of a game. You either buy expansion packs, or you don't. Not a requirement.

Season Passes are annoying as hell, but they're entirely optional. You can buy the expansion packs individually if you want. Or not at all. Totally up to you. If you don't care about additional content, then forget they even exist.

Lots of people get bent out of shape over this, but expansion packs are nothing new. No one looked at EPs "back in the day" and cried BS because they had to pay more to have the "full experience". It's extra stuff for the people that want it.

Ryderprimesuspect
  • You know whats different between now and then though? The additional content is announced before the game launches, and its assumed by gamers that all it happens to be is stuff that was held back to justify more investment from the gamer.

Back then some expansions were more single player focused. An added level, a side adventure, some alternate bosses or something like that. That is alright because it only impacts the individual. Also, those would usually be a fraction of the cost of the base game.

Now, multiplayer is different, it's a community. It requires a community and constant momentum to keep the gamers investment viable. How many of us have purchased a fantastic multiplayer game that suffered from lack of community? That happens for various reasons, but somehow when I look at something like TF2 and I see how they have maintained a strong community for so many years now, I know part of it is that everyone is in. Everyone is included in whatever is new. Sure, there are hats and shiny trinkets, but the core game is there for anyone that wants to play it. I'm not suggesting free to play is a better model. Lord knows there are some awful free to play games, but nearly double the cost for a few extra maps seems kinda bogus.

• I always boil stuff like this down to hours of fun I get per dollar I spend. Video games are still pretty much the most efficient form of paid recreation in my life even if I end up spending $100+ on a single game over time.

Cliff_ForsterprimesuspectMAGIC
  • Yeah, I don't mean to derail the better discussion about how fantastic the beta was. It's a great game. I just don't get the weird marketing strategy.

Carry on.

aaaaannnnnddddd no voip for PC, per their twitter account.