17 Jan: Icrontic.com maintenance time today

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian

The site will be offline for an hour or two today. We're migrating to a new server. Search may be down for a few hours longer after the site comes back while I get it hooked back up.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2016

Nerd details:

• Our new server is named Ivan. Duh.
    • Moving to LiquidWeb's newest "zone" with nicer tools.
    • Upgrading from mechanical to SSD drive.
    • Upgrading from CentOS 5 to 7.
    • Upgrading from Apache 2.2 to 2.4.
    • Upgrading from PHP 5.4 to 5.6 (big performance gains).
    • Upgrading from MySQL 5.5 to MariaDB 5.7 (a fork of the project by the founder).
    • Slightly less $ per month for overall better performance and new tech stack.
    • Upgrading our web stack will be much easier in the new setup.

Our old web stack was quite fragile, to the point where the techs didn't want to touch it to do a simple upgrade like moving a point version in PHP. So I decided back in August to do a full migration. After a few fits and starts, I sat down to set it up in earnest yesterday. Turns out I've gotten a little faster at this process over the years so I expect we'll be moving as soon as I finish doing a dry run with the databases today.

GargCyrixInsteadHeroCanti

All sites except Icrontic and NewBuddhist have made the jump now. Going to get Sphinx running & indexed on the new server, then pull the trigger.

Gargprimesuspectoni_delsChooch
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

@Linc said:
    Nerd details:

• Our new server is named Ivan. Duh.
    • Moving to *#%^&!Q@( newest "zone" with nicer tools.
    • Upgrading from mechanical to SSD drive.
    • Upgrading from %$&^@! 5 to 7. the first number is smaller than the second
    • Upgrading from &#$ 2.2 to 2.4.
    • Upgrading from &^& 5.4 to 5.6 (big performance gains).
    • Upgrading from ^#$( 5.5 to %(@# 5.7 (a fork of the project by the founder).
    • Slightly less $ per month for overall better performance and new tech stack.
    • Upgrading our web stack will be much easier in the new setup.

Our old web stack was quite fragile, to the point where the techs didn't want to touch it to do a simple upgrade like moving a point version in PHP. So I decided back in August to do a full migration. After a few fits and starts, I sat down to set it up in earnest yesterday. Turns out I've gotten a little faster at this process over the years so I expect we'll be moving as soon as I finish doing a dry run with the databases today.

thats what i got out of that. cool beans :hiding:

primesuspectpigflipper

@Linc said:
    Going to get Sphinx running

10 hours later... :angry:

HeroDontCallMeKelsoRyder
  • @Linc said:

@Linc said:
    Going to get Sphinx running

10 hours later... :angry:

You could have called me and I would have gotten it running for you, met you in Detroit and had 4 rounds at the bar in that amount of time.

@ardichoke said:
    You could have called me and I would have gotten it running for you, met you in Detroit and had 4 rounds at the bar in that amount of time.

It still isn't working. :-/

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Weird, it's like he has enough experience to get paid to do these kinds of things.

Straight_ManardichokeRyderTushon

@Snarkasm said:
    Weird, it's like he has enough experience to get paid to do these kinds of things.

Unlike the people I'm actually paying to do it that left me hanging for 2 days thru levels of idiocy I can't recount without raising my voice. Not that I'm salty.

Final file transfer has commenced. Downtime imminent.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

See you on the other side

-Digi

BAM!

Hero
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

@Linc said:
    BAM!

h4x0rs in teh yu0r webserver

GargDontCallMeKelso

Yes thank you for screenshotting my single mistake in that goddamn work-of-art server migration. :hrm:

SnarkasmBlueTattooDontCallMeKelso
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Don't worry, I've carefully crafted a ragequit post as a result

@shwaip said:
    Don't worry, I've carefully crafted a ragequit post as a result

I hope it has no fewer than 5 witticisms to make me regret your absence.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Where's the new logo? I was promised a new logo.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Can't see that phrasing and not be reminded of this commercial:

_k
  • @Linc said:

@Snarkasm said:

Unlike the people I'm actually paying to do it that left me hanging for 2 days thru levels of idiocy I can't recount without raising my voice. Not that I'm salty.

To be fair, I get paid a LOT more than those people. There's a reason I was managing internal systems, and not customer systems.

Linc
    edited January 2016

Bit of Icrontic lore / Linux nerdery: Back in the days of bart, our first server, the websites had to be served from a secondary hard drive. I think our system drive was super fast for the time, but super small, and Icrontic was quite large for contemporary hosting standards. So we mounted a (5400rpm?) drive as /storage and that was where our webroot (and databases, and logs) were put. And then I just... left it that way. A bit of paranoia about breaking something obscure, and a bit of laziness. 4 servers later, I've finally moved the webroot under /srv and left the databases and logs where they go by default like a grownup sysadmin. :D

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

@Linc, it's nice to do things right, but no one will blame you for operating for a time under the "if it ain't broke" phiosophy. Most systems that have been around for a few hardware, os, and software changes will show some "historical" configuration. Good job getting it all done and thanks for keeping the site working well.

Heroprimesuspect
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@Linc said:
    Bit of Icrontic lore / Linux nerdery: Back in the days of bart, our first server, the websites had to be served from a secondary hard drive. I think our system drive was super fast for the time, but super small, and Icrontic was quite large for contemporary hosting standards. So we mounted a (5400rpm?) drive as /storage and that was where our webroot (and databases, and logs) were put. And then I just... left it that way. A bit of paranoia about breaking something obscure, and a bit of laziness. 4 servers later, I've finally moved the webroot under /srv and left the databases and logs where they go by default like a grownup sysadmin. :D

:tongue:/srv isn't the standard location for docroots on RHEL systems either. /var/www is.

Not that it really matters that much. RedHat takes forever to make changes and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard added /srv 11 years ago.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2016

Well now I feel old. In my head, /var/www is current. Sigh.

mertesnGarg_k
  • @primesuspect said:
    Well now I feel old. In my head, /var/www is current. Sigh.

It is in mine as well. But I primarily work with RHEL compatible systems, and I stick to their standards whenever possible.

_k

@ardichoke said:
    It is in mine as well. But I primarily work with RHEL compatible systems, and I stick to their standards whenever possible.

We use Ubuntu at work. Easier for me to remember /srv since it's what I use all day.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Is CentOS still basically Red Hat?