Returning to Folding@Home in 2016

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@ardichoke said:
    It could be GPU lag though.... the F@H docs state there is no priority schedule for GPUs that the workload can take advantage of. I would suggest setting GPU to only fold when idle (provided you're not on Linux, as the idle detection doesn't work on Linux).

How can I set the GPU to only fold when idle but leave the CPU folding the rest of the time?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it. It's not intuitive or anything. Click on the F@H tray icon and click "Advance Control". Then where it says "Folding Slots", right click on the CPU slot and deselect "On Idle". Assuming the whole thing was set to only fold while idle, otherwise right click the GPU slot and select "On Idle".

Edit 2:

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I installed it and ran it overnight. The next afternoon I talked to Sugar about performance and she said her videos were frustratingly laggy all day.

Attempted to set to idle only and Windows crashed. Dug into it a bit and it crashed Windows again (I don't remember what I was doing with it at the time). These are the only two crashes I have had since building my machine / running Windows 10. The next bootup I uninstalled it. I may give it another shot but I am not a fan of the experience I've had with it.

-Digi

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Folding. Folding never changes

LincSliquid
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@BobbyDigi said:
    I installed it and ran it overnight. The next afternoon I talked to Sugar about performance and she said her videos were frustratingly laggy all day.

Attempted to set to idle only and Windows crashed. Dug into it a bit and it crashed Windows again (I don't remember what I was doing with it at the time). These are the only two crashes I have had since building my machine / running Windows 10. The next bootup I uninstalled it. I may give it another shot but I am not a fan of the experience I've had with it.

-Digi

Over the last few years I have had to resort to right clicking the tray icon and pausing work if I am doing anything more than web browsing. It becomes a tiresome routine after a few weeks. I'm curious if a batch file could be made to start and stop work to make things a little less tedious. I'll report back if I find a solution.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I just played a hand full of 4k videos on Youtube to see if I would experience and lagging or issues. So far none. My conclusion is that you all need better PCs. :tongue: Redacted.

EDIT: The After Edit: Just to be obnoxious, here is a 4k video playing and two 1080p videos playing on the outside monitors. The 1080p videos stutter a little bit. Makes me wonder how intensive playing video from a web browser actually is.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

I usually don't have GPU folding on, but when I have, I've usually had to pause it while I was doing anything serious. It doesn't feel like the GPU drivers are designed for multitasking when the it's pegged 100%.

@Gargoyle said:
    I usually don't have GPU folding on, but when I have, I've usually had to pause it while I was doing anything serious. It doesn't feel like the GPU drivers are designed for multitasking when the it's pegged 100%.

You better keep your pausing to a minimum, my overtake is now saying that you're toast in 10 months.

Garg
  • sgstairsgstair Reverse Engineer Redmond, WA Icrontian

woohoo, more folding friends on the leaderboards! :) Excitement!

primesuspectSonorousGarg

@the_technocrat are you just gonna sit there and take it? I'm lubing up for you.

@primesuspect Try and catch me before I retire, bro.

Linc

I hope Folding can help advance the science on treating third degree burns.

primesuspectCB
  • I gave it a shot. I didn't realize how crappy my rig is. According to the projection in the F@H software, any setting short of my video card overheating will net me around 100ppd. WUT.

@GHoosdum said:
    I gave it a shot. I didn't realize how crappy my rig is. According to the projection in the F@H software, any setting short of my video card overheating will net me around 100ppd. WUT.

What GPU? Some aren't worth it, and some need updated drivers to be work correctly.

If the GPU doesn't turn out to be worthwhile, you can get decent PPD with a quad core CPU, and CPU clients are less hassle.

• I've got a Radeon 7750. Still a dual core CPU. :(

I'd say I need to upgrade, but I've yet to encounter a use case in my life that this PC can't do.

edited January 2016

Try updating drivers, then. I only found one data point, but somebody is getting over 10k PPD with a 7750 on this spreadsheet. That's better than I get with a decent quad-core.

@GHoosdum said:
    I've got a Radeon 7750. Still a dual core CPU. :(

I'd say I need to upgrade, but I've yet to encounter a use case in my life that this PC can't do.

Well we just found it

GHoosdum
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

OT: I've done more points in the last few days than what I've done since I started folding.

Garg
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

iirc, they regularly inflate the work unit values, so that it's always possible for new users to surpass old, stagnant users

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@CB said:
    iirc, they regularly inflate the work unit values, so that it's always possible for new users to surpass old, stagnant users

So... what you're saying is folding points is an inflationary currency?

#AuditTheFAH #GoldPointStandard

primesuspect
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I had it set to only run on idle time, but it had only run for about an hour since installation almost a week ago, so that wasn't working right. Set it to just run always at lowest priority, so we'll see if that improves.

@CB said:

Yeah, all my first WUs were worth 1 or 2 points. But I was also folding with Pentium II and IIIs back then.

GHoosdum

BTW everyone - sign up for a passkey if you haven't already. It will allow you to get bonus points.

It could also be that GPU folding and modern CPUs are just that much faster/more powerful than what we used 10 years ago.

I've got a couple of workstation GPUs added to the mix: AMD FIrePro V7900 and NVIDIA Quadro K4000M

Garg
    edited January 2016

@primesuspect said:
    It could also be that GPU folding and modern CPUs are just that much faster/more powerful than what we used 10 years ago.

That's probably the main factor - their current benchmark machine is an i5 750, so if you have a faster rig, you'll make more points. I'm pretty sure there's inflation besides that, but [citation needed].

@GHoosdum said:
    I gave it a shot. I didn't realize how crappy my rig is. According to the projection in the F@H software, any setting short of my video card overheating will net me around 100ppd. WUT.

One more question: how long did you let it fold before noticing the PPD was low and trying something else? On my R9 285, FAHControl made it look like I wasn't going to meet deadlines and that I'd only get 2000 PPD. Then it finished a frame a few minutes later, and adjusted the estimate up to 107,118 PPD. So if you haven't already, give it a bit more time and see if the estimates adjust.

Oh, and @Sonorous, I'm afraid my battle station is fully operational.

@Gargoyle said:
    Oh, and @Sonorous, I'm afraid my battle station is fully operational.

I just renamed my main rig "Millennium Falcon"

primesuspect

We need an OH SNAP reaction

Sonorous

Team 93, like an old hoary grizzly bear waking up from a long, dark winter, is shaking off the dirt.

SonorousGarg

We can't let Reddit overtake us. Currently we've gone from a 1 week overtake to a 1.7 month overtake. We need to rally the troops. @Leonardo @csimon @enisada @lsevald @Dang where are you guys? Let's get back to it :digi:

Garg