The Witcher

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

I plan to play through this series (1-3)over the winter. At some point I put 42 hours in to the first game, but never finished it. I do remember the combat being different and somewhat wacky.

To anyone who has played through the series, any tips/tricks/suggestions to get the most fulfillment from the games?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I've only played a good portion of the third one, but it seems like a good mix of side quests, random areas to "complete" and main quests is important. I think you can get ahead of your level in the main quests if you don't do anything else.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

Tushon is right, also some of the side quests are some of the most fun. I will say the combat in 2 is significantly improved over 1. I haven't gotten to 3 yet, but I'm excited to get in on it.

• I played through 15 hours or so of part 2, there was a lot of boob. Hope that helps.

fatcat
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

I think the best fulfilment you can get is to read the books first. Some of them are only available on the web as fan translations, but they take place effectively BEFORE the games begin.

I was a little lost in the beginning of the first Witcher game, after reading the books, shit is pretty cleared up. You also know a lot of the characters and get a better feel for why they act the way they do.

fatcat
  • @PirateNinja said:
    I played through 15 hours or so of part 2, there was a lot of boob. Hope that helps.

There was a fair amount of boob in the first few hours of 1 as well.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

Any suggestions on build, as far as priority?

edited November 2015

alright, finished the first game. GREAT story, buggy as hell. once I started leveling up swordsmanship, the combat was actually somewhat fun.

I did the tutorial for Witcher 2 last night, and holy hell it's completely different. time to forget all those muscle memorization's from the first lol

primesuspect

I remember that being the case for all games AFAIK.

@Tushon said:
    I remember that being the case for all games AFAIK.

which part? the combat changes or the game having a great story but being buggy

Also curious to those who have finished the 1st, which path did you take? I stayed neutral. no politics for this Witcher

Combat changing. I haven't experienced any (memorable) bugs in Witcher 3 so far.

heh, forgot I started this thread

so I finished the trilogy, twice. 379 hours clocked and it was amazing. The Witcher 3 is easily one of the top 5 PC games I've ever played. I also purchased the first 5 novels and am half way through the second and enjoying them as well!

some randoms from the trilogy
    TW1

TW2

TW3

GuppyprimesuspectArkimGarg
  • I know I am late on this as well, but I have played and beaten 1 & 2 and I am in the middle of TW3. I LOVE the W3. Best game of the year in my opinion.

fatcat
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian

I really want to finish this series now. I played a bit of The Witcher 2 when it came out and loved it once I figured out what I was doing. I was kind of lost because I'd never played the first game. So I got the first game and made some decent progress, but I lost my save and didn't want to go through the swamps again so I gave up. I haven't touched 3 and I don't know much about it, but I'll get to it once I finish the other two.

• Blurgh.... this reminds me that I really should finish these games. Started Witcher 1 and really liked it, but haven't touched it in a while. Have 2 laying around, haven't even launched it...

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian

I went through 1 and 2 and loved them. Haven't played 3 yet though. No time with new jorb.

edited February 2016

Some interesting points I want to make on the trilogy.

In TW1, you start the game with amnesia. Every person who knows Geralt thought he was dead because he has been gone for 5 years. You're also basically a klutz with your swords, in fact you don't become Witcher good until nearly the end of Act 2. A lot of the story is not going to make sense (unless you've read the novels) and you'll probably have more questions than answers.

In TW2 you immediately get thrown in the political BS, but luckily your memory is starting to come back. Now TW2 is very unique, in that once you've nearly completed Act 1, you must decide which path to choose to continue the game. And CDPR did an amazing job about making 1/2 of the game completely different. Yes, if you only play through TW2 once, you will have missed out on 50% of the game. By the end of TW2, Geralt has his memories back and it's time to begin the hunt. #TeamIorveth

In TW3. Well, everything comes together. Every question you had since act 1 of TW1 gets answered. And honestly, playing through TW3 makes TW1 & TW2 even better because you will have a lot of, "oh, that's why that happened"! or "now I understand why I did this then." But the BEST, and I mean the BEST part of TW3 are that even the side/secondary quests are amazing in their own way. Never in a game did I WANT to do every side quest, every Witcher contract, every scavenger hunt. CDPR did an excellent job making every quest, main or side feel special in TW3.

I could say a lot more, but seriously folks, just play this trilogy. IT'S THAT GOOD

primesuspectGarg
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Now I feel bad, because I could never get into it. The combat, the camera, everything just turned me off and made me leave. But I'm always looking for story in games. FC, does the combat get better after you're not a klutz with your sword, or does it get better in 2, or 3, or did you not have the same impression I did?

edited February 2016

@Snarkasm The combat gets better come Act 3 in TW1 (there are 5 acts, a prologue and epilogue) You basically become OP, a true Witcher in the sense. As you progress swordsmanship, the actual animations will change as well. The combat becomes almost fun once you also have all your signs upgraded.

TW2 changes all the combat for the better. Everything you learned in TW1 toss out. Do the tutorial, change the keybinds if you want. TW2 is MUCH harder the 1st half of the game then any part of TW1. But once you start to completely have your memory back, the combat becomes very fun the second half of the game.

The combat in TW3 is virtually perfect, but IT IS NOT A HACK N SLASH. If you play on any difficulty above easy you will have to prepare for fights and learn what the monsters do. Luckily there are numerous builds you can do, and there is an item in game to respec if you choose.

Now for the story:
    TW1: 6/10 without playing any other Witcher games or having not read the novels. 7.5/10 if you have.
    TW2: 8.5/10 both paths are good. I have my preference, but each has very enjoyable parts.
    TW3: 11/10 Epic. You will laugh, you will cry. You will hate certain NPCs and love others. And when you finish the story, you will most likely want to start TW1 again with a better understanding of how everything plays out.

Honestly, if you really can't stand the combat in TW1, do what I told Cyclonite to do. Just play it on easy mode (you don't need to use potions at all) and just get through the story. TW2/3 overhaul combat massively and the story really starts to pickup.

edit> the voice acting gets 200% better come TW2 also :thumbsup:

Gargardichoke
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

All right. Pretty sure I purchased them all and then just... failed to get into them, so I'll give them another try when I find some time. Thanks for the info.

edited February 2016

@Snarkasm said:
    All right. Pretty sure I purchased them all and then just... failed to get into them, so I'll give them another try when I find some time. Thanks for the info.

anytime dude. Also remember TW1 came out in 2007, and was CDPR's first game.

ardichoke

I'm okay with everyone except Emma Watson. Triss did not have red hair or green eyes in the books, so depends which audience you want to appeal to.

Honestly if there was a Witcher movie, I'd love to see an unkown actress playing Ciri, like what Daisy Ridley has become with Star Wars

Tushon
    edited April 2016

CDPR released some new screenshots of the next expansion, Blood and Wine.

They look amazing! Can't wait to play it