Returning to Folding@Home in 2016

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

AH cool I was wondering who that was :D

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@primesuspect There is a profile field, newbcakes.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Linc said:
    @primesuspect There is a profile field, newbcakes.

It'd be sweet if that was added to the user info line for posts in this category.

edited February 2016

@Gargoyle said:
    It'd be sweet if that was added to the user info line for posts in this category.

Not until someone recognizes that I already added team stats to discussions in this category. *crosses arms and pouts*

I noticed that right before I posted. Thank you, Lincoln!

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@Linc said:

@Gargoyle said:

Not until someone recognizes that I already added team stats to discussions in this category. *crosses arms and pouts*

That's a fantastic addition!

edited February 2016

@Sonorous said:
    That's a fantastic addition!

@Gargoyle said:
    Thank you, Lincoln!

You have pleased the petulant, needy developer gods. They have smiled upon you with a cog next to the names of active folders forum-wide which link to your stats and have your folding name as hover text. It requires your profile field "Folding Name" to be filled in.

SonorousGargsgstairTushon

ps my 2012 self would shit 5 bricks if they knew what I just did to pull that off & that I did it in 90 minutes. :vimp:

Winfrey

@Linc said:
    You have pleased the petulant, needy developer gods. They have smiled upon you with a cog next to the names of active folders forum-wide which link to your stats and have your folding name as hover text. It requires your profile field "Folding Name" to be filled in.

Dude, that's killer. I'm pretty speechless.

Garg

@Linc said:

So damn sweet. :fold::ninja:

• Apparently my rig is all thunder and no lightning. My GPU is running hot with the fan on max all the time, and I'm only netting 588 ppd. Doesn't seem worth it, sadly.

• Okay, WTF. Does FAH have some magical way of preventing and/or waking a Windows 10 computer from sleep? Because I keep putting my computer to sleep (even hibernated it) and then I come back and find it awake, wasting electricity. Before installing FAH (mostly just to see what kind of PPD my GPU would generate, out of curiosity), it would sleep according to my power schedule without a problem and I never found it up and running when it shouldn't have been.

Check out logs to find out what is waking the computer. This example is just a quick Google result, but I did something like this once to find out TeamViewer was doing it to me.

• Yeah, after some further googling, it turns out FAH client goes out of it's way to interfere with sleep/hibernate when GPU workloads are active, because GPU memory data isn't preserved across sleep or hibernate. That leads to corrupted data. Oh well, guess I'll be deactivating that.

Cleaning my fans and flipping the rear exhaust around to make it an intake has dropped my temps by 10c down to an average of 77c @ 4.2 1.28v - 1.31v. I had to flip the fans on my Noctua HSF around so they pulled air from the rear of the case instead of the front. Long story short, I have my CPU slot set back to -1 on the F@H client so my PPD on the 3770k should be back to normal.

Gargprimesuspect
    edited February 2016

The A8-6600k in my HTPC is now overclocked to 4.2Ghz. I'm sure it could go a bit more but that little PC runs really cool for folding 24/7 so I think that might be as far as I go with that.

My PPD hasn't quite averaged out yet, but I'm looking at an average of 301,286.numbers PPD for the last 7 days. If I can maintain around 300k a day I'll be happy until I do a fall hardware update, buy a new nVidia card when they release, trickle the 290x down to the HTPC and watch the points roll in.

Edit:
    :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:@Gargolye:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

primesuspectLincGarg

Bah, just when I was starting to match your PPD, you go and double it.

Although, come to think of it, I do work at a supercomputer center...

primesuspectSonorous
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I wonder if someone has compiled a FAH for AIX. I've got some spare p8 cpu capacity.

@AlexDeGruven said:
    I wonder if someone has compiled a FAH for AIX.

Unfortunately not. The cores are open, so you could almost* build those for AIX & POWER, but wouldn't be able to run Folding itself.

* they have modifications that aren't GPL'd, so not really the same cores as would run Folding work

I've got some spare p8 cpu capacity.

Sorta related: I want one of these, but damn, 130W for the entry-level version‽ Do POWER systems come with a generator?

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

heh, I'm surprised it's that low, really. The dual-socket 4U boxes have 4x900W PSUs.

Pretty sure that chip they're talking about is the 3.2GHz or slower. All of mine in house are 4.1, and we evaluated the 4.4 last year, but the cost was too high ($1.55M to start).

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

you think a computer could run on a home depot solar panel?

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

If the solar panel put out the number of watts that the computer consumed, yes.
    Solar panels also output DC power, so you would need to convert it to AC to run the PSU (which converts it back to DC) or create your own so you could run it directly on the DC provided by the panel.

ok, lemme just put on my mad scientist lab coat and ill get started on all that...based on a quick google search, it seems that wattage does not change whether you put multiple panels in series or in parallel...but that seems wrong to me. @ryder, do you know if that is right?

so the end question would be; how long would it take to offset the ~$2500 for a ~1000W 12V solar panel kit if you were folding on a computer needing that much wattage? more of a scientific curiosity question than an actual question.

edited February 2016

@Hero said:
    you think a computer could run on a home depot solar panel?

solar panel > batteries > inverter > computer

But Folding will drain those batteries quick unless you've got lots of them and lots of panels. But for normal computing, you could probably run a Raspberry Pi or Atom-based system off of a single panel pretty successfully.

Edit: those times when you have a response written, get distracted, and by the time you hit submit there's other posts and the conversation moves on.

edited February 2016

the 2500 dollar kit would run my gaming pc and then some(tv?). but, this is all hypothetical as i dont have a house or property to mount them to

and a battery is only required if you need to fold at night right? you dont actually have to have one to use solar during peak hours?

@Hero said:
    the 2500 dollar kit would run my gaming pc and then some(tv?). but, this is all hypothetical as i dont have a house or property to mount them to

I'm not sure you'll get the peak 1KW from the kit at all, and then you'll need to spread the KW/h you get in the daytime throughout the day. However, this is a minor detail: we're within an order of magnitude, so it would be a question of how big the TV is, or how fancy the computer is.

Does your kit include batteries and a DC/AC inverter?

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I am no solar expert, but parallel would add up the wattage and keep the voltage the same. Series would add up the voltage and keep the wattage the same, if the rules about DC electricity haven't changed.

GHoosdum
    edited February 2016

inverter, no battery, and its just something i found online as an example to work with

edit, im also checking out wind possibilities, but that seems to mostly require ownership of land greater than 1 acre and then we start getting into specific scenarios that fewer and fewer people can relate to

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

A new folder appears. Welcome @sazbean!