Fixing/Upgrading My Gaming PC...Is It Compatible?

HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
edited February 2016 in Hardware

So i am looking at a decent tax return and a new job, which means its time to fix my gaming pc. while im at it i figure ill upgrade a little. I am missing my GPU and so i will be replacing that, but i would also like to upgrade my PSU and adopt a SSD in place of my current HDD.

items i am drooling over\
MSI Radeon R9 390 GPU
1000W PSU

things i already have and dont want to replace just yet.
Mobo
i5 processor

anyway, given that info, can anyone see any glaring compatibility issues for that GPU? i just dont have the necessary knowledge to make those observations. also would love thoughts on that PSU, and suggestions for a SSD.

would be interested in a pci-e SSD if they arent crazy expensive, but im not really sure what the deal is with those. just saw one when i was browsing newegg and was intrigued.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Wishlist links are empty. I suggest PCPartPicker for detailing parts.

Hero
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Whatever GPU you're considering, it'll work with whatever mobo you have. Just need to ensure your PSU is up to the task.

Heroprimesuspect
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

@BlackHawk thanks fixt.

@Thrax, im drooling over that one ^. i want to go overkill a bit, so i can continue to upgrade my Rig with CAD programs in mind. if there are better GPUs than that i would consider it.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Unless you're planning on running a 4-way SLI/Crossfire, I think 1000W PSU is a little overkill.

Hero
    edited February 2016

room to grow, and the 750 isnt much cheaper. i think it was $20 difference. basicly id much rather overkill than not enough. @BlackHawk, is EVGA a decent brand? reviews say so, but im wary of those

edited February 2016

@Hero said:
    @BlackHawk, is EVGA a decent brand? reviews say so, but im wary of those

I've only read good things about them but if you do have a problem, I've also read really good things about their RMA process. Wishing I had gotten an EVGA video card now that I'm reading about Gigabyte RMA horror stories.

Hero
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Would an 80 Plus Platinum PSU at a lower cost and wattage make more sense?

Hero

What's your budget on the SSD? While PCI-e SSD cards are pretty fast, I'm not sure if the price warrants the 5 fewer seconds a game level takes to load.

Hero

@Sonorous said:

There's this platinum rated 860W Seasonic for the same price (lower with rebate).

SonorousHero
    edited February 2016

@sonorous, i dont know. did you have anything in mind? my PSU knowledge is pretty limited. i just dont want to have fewer than 750W

@BlackHawk, ill say $100 give or take

@BlackHawk said:

@Sonorous said:

There's this platinum rated 860W Seasonic for the same price (lower with rebate).

Hero

@Hero said:
    @BlackHawk, ill say $100 give or take

Cheapest PCI-e SSD is $200.

How much space you want with SSD? Is it for games, OS, both?

Hero

@BlackHawk, that looks nice. cool, im gonna go with that. its also nice that its modular as well.

both, i didnt mean for you guys to go shopping for me. are some brands better than others for SSD?

@Hero said:
    both, i didnt mean for you guys to go shopping for me. are some brands better than others for SSD?

That one I don't know how to answer. Last time I bought an SSD was over 3 years ago and I went with OCZ (paging @Ryder ) and Mushkin. I have no complaints with those.

Hero

ive also found that 3.5" SSD seems unusual. that is the size of my internal drive slots. is it ok to put a 2.5" in a bigger slot?

@Hero said:
    ive also found that 3.5" SSD seems unusual. that is the size of my internal drive slots. is it ok to put a 2.5" in a bigger slot?

Yeah. Depending on how old your case is it should have holes for SSD's. If not, some (??? last time I purchased) come with adapters for 3.5" bays. Check the product description.

Hero

$9 for the adapter. good call thanks

ok, i think based on what im seeing on newegg, the SSD will have to wait for a little while. but not too long hopefully. id hate to get a bunch of CAD stuff set up and then trash it all to reinstall the OS

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

They are SSDs you don't really need to bracket them, or really even have them attached to anything.

Hero

@Karma said:
    They are SSDs you don't really need to bracket them, or really even have them attached to anything.

oh thanks

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Yeah my SSDs just dangle from wires.

Hero

hehe, it just seems weird. i get it, but my visceral reaction was...appalled.

@RyanFodder, could you offer insight into CAD designed machines for a mechanical engineer? the solidworks site suggests these firepro GPUs that are way out of my price range, and i think most students price range. those arent really necessary right?

A decent GPU will allow for higher total polygon counts in 3D scenes. I have never used Solidworks though and don't know if it would take advantage of the GPU for simulation purposes. Rendering 3D scenes is a different story though. Depending on the render method and hardware you could see a benefit from a certain GPU over others. I think an R9 390 would be plenty for your use though.

thanks @Sonorous