Ransomware malicious ads found on major news websites including BBC, NYT, and more

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

"pls disable ur adblock" they said.

GargRyanMM
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Real Talk - I don't disable my adblocker for any site, ESPECIALLY if I'm blocked from content until I do so. There are a lot of sites today that I simply stopped visiting because I'm no longer allowed to view the content with my blocker turned on. Forget about it. Don't need it.

CycloniteCBGarg
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Current web ads are literally glorified XSS attacks waiting to happen. Zero surprise.

Garg
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Real Talk - I don't pay attention to ads on any site, ESPECIALLY if I'm blocked from content until I do so. There are a lot of sites today that I simply stopped visiting because I'm no longer allowed to view the content without ads. Forget about it. Don't need it.

-Digi

CBAlexDeGruven
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I don't even turn it off for sites and people I trust or want to support anymore (I used to). I know that no matter how much I trust that person or want to support that organization, it's very unlikely that they have full control of their ads.

_k

I get your point, but it's not about being annoyed by the presence of advertisements - it's about protecting my computer from malicious BS. I don't even notice ads on any given site unless it goes full screen and prohibits me from doing anything.

Ultimately, I'm keeping my blocker on no matter what. If that means some sites aren't getting 10 cents for my click, then so be it. My PC is more important.

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian

The BBC aren't allowed to run adverts so I'm not sure how accurate this report is.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@UPSLynx said:
    I get your point, but it's not about being annoyed by the presence of advertisements - it's about protecting my computer from malicious BS. I don't even notice ads on any given site unless it goes full screen and prohibits me from doing anything.

Ultimately, I'm keeping my blocker on no matter what. If that means some sites aren't getting 10 cents for my click, then so be it. My PC is more important.

Whose point are you getting here? So far everyone in thread agrees.

_kGarg

I know we agree, I just wanted to point out that it's a much bigger issue than just being annoyed. I can't remember the last time I installed an ad blocker just because I felt I was too annoyed with ads to deal with em.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2016

Chrome recently removed support for NPAPI based extensions. There is not a way to enable Silverlight or Java post release 45. From a technical standpoint this is a big step forward for Google. They are going to take the heat for breaking some applets to drive web development forward.

The problem is that many of the more garden variety pop ups are just using social engineering techniques to get the user to call an 800 number where the attacker will either proceed to gain their credit card info or when they don't give that up they convince them to go to a site that will give them a free trial of the software required to remove their "infection" or "registry errors" from there they install a back door. Best case they just fish around for some info they can use, worst case they lock them out with a pre boot password and then hold the system hostage until they pay.

Social engineering is how most hacking works. People are the weakest link.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2016

And for some perspective, NPAPI was initially developed for Netscape 2.0 in 1995. Of course it has changed a lot since... bit yeah two decades later Google is finally saying, folks, this is dumb. For browser security my heart says Firefox but my head is saying Chrome right now. It will take their share to drive everyone to modern standards and improve overall browser security. If they stick to their guns the others will hopefully follow soon and finally kill off this dated model one extension at a time.

primesuspect
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Basil said:
    The BBC aren't allowed to run adverts so I'm not sure how accurate this report is.

I've heard they do for browsers in some countries, but I don't know if that's true.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

This is why I say "Tough, deal with it" whenever I see one of those "Ohai! It looks like UR using an ad blocker. pls stop?!" notices.