[help!] Installing STEAM on Fedora 21

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian

i found an old hard drive with fedora on it and i wanted to install Steam on it, but i know next to nothing on steam and i downloaded the thingy from the steam website, googled a bunch of things and i can't manage to make it work.
anyone has done it or knows how to do it and explain it in lamer's terms ?
thanks.

Comments

• http://negativo17.org/steam/

Red Hat distributions, I don't belive you can just unpack the installer from the site like you can with Ubuntu based desktop distributions.

If you are serious about Steam in a Linux environment, your best bet is to wipe and install and install Ubuntu first. If you are just seeing if you can get it to work for Red Hat experience, the link above may help.

oni_dels
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

Upgrade to the latest fedora.

_koni_dels
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

i use to have a ubuntu laptop like 10 years ago, because then i was in college and all our pc were running red hat and i wanted something like that. one of my friend is big into linux and told me to get Fedora, and i just uncovered this HD from roughly 2 years ago. so i figured i should try steam on it

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    http://negativo17.org/steam/

Red Hat distributions, I don't belive you can just unpack the installer from the site like you can with Ubuntu based desktop distributions.

If you are serious about Steam in a Linux environment, your best bet is to wipe and install and install Ubuntu first. If you are just seeing if you can get it to work for Red Hat experience, the link above may help.

i checked that link, but like i said i kinda suck at linux so, yeah...

• Yeah Ubuntu is the most Windows like distribution. Fedora is a Red Hat distro and even it's desktop version is not set up to play nice out of the gate. It's highly configurable but it takes more know how. Ubuntu is set up with a good GUI and easy to follow software repository (app store) in many cases software installation isn't more complicated than going to thr repository and clicking install. Steam works fine in Ubuntu. Fedora, I haven't tried.

Garg