A primer on the cult of the coney

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

I know coneys have caused a lot of confusion to non-Michigan Icrontians for a long time. Here is a good primer.

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

The only thing you need to know is that Lafayette is the correct side of the wall.

primesuspectTushonMAGICGuppy
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I love the original Nathan's Coney Island Coney.

MAGICAlexDeGruvenBuddyJMt_Goat

I married a Flint girl. She insists that Flint style is appropriate. Sadly, she is wrong.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Don't think I've ever had Flint style. Didn't even realize it was officially a thing until reading this.

I've also never actually been to American/Lafayette. I've had coney's from them (I believe it was Lafayette catered in for Expo one year), but I've never seen their glory in person. Somehow.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@UPSLynx said:
    Don't think I've ever had Flint style. Didn't even realize it was officially a thing until reading this.

I've also never actually been to American/Lafayette. I've had coney's from them (I believe it was Lafayette catered in for Expo one year), but I've never seen their glory in person. Somehow.

A late night/early morning run is in order.

UPSLynx
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

This is unacceptable. It shall be remedied.

MAGICUPSLynx
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

just don't have the water Flint style.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

I don’t know anything about a coney from Detroit. I’m from Texas where we don’t know much about geography or foreign cuisine. We are pretty sure that chili doesn’t have beans or wieners in it. My wife is from The Bronx and has actually been to Coney Island (somewhere in NY) where she has eaten a hotdog. We talked about it. Red onions – no chili.

I read the article and I’m all for Detroit having pride in all things Detroit. But maybe they should call it something else – something with “Detroit” or “motor city” in the name. I don’t know if there is an official hot dog for Houston or Texas, but I kinda like Chicago style. (See – they got “Chicago” right there in the name.) Wonder if that really started in Chicago.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Now I'm waiting for someone to say Philly cheese steaks were invented in Ann Arbor. :wtf:
    Gimme a break, there isn't any thing, place or person named Cony anywhere in Michigan. I think I am going to go to Oklahoma City for some authentic salt water taffy. :rolleyes:

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

Maybe they should rename it the Kwame.

UPSLynx
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2016

@BlueTattoo said:
    We are pretty sure that chili doesn’t have beans or wieners in it.

Or sugar; brown or otherwise. The beans don't have sugar either.

I don’t know if there is an official hot dog for Houston or Texas...

I don't either but if there is I'm pretty sure it looks like this:

BlueTattoo
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

Grand Rapids style, mmmm.

WagsFTW
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Did someone say Coneys?

GHoosdumZanthianlulufitzgerald

They've been called Coneys since the early 1900s. By your logic, we shouldn't have a state named Washington or streets named Main Street outside of Jamestown

Thrax

IIRC, they were called coneys here because they're the same style as the Coney Island hotdog out of NY. This is also the reason why my wife is objectively incorrect about Flint style.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I need a trip to Michigan to sample your non-Cincinnati coney dogs.

Want to try cans of coney sauce? Gold Star and Skyline for your... whatevers.

Gawd no keep that crap outta here. The only time Skyline is appropriate is on a road trip through your state.

GHoosdum

@primesuspect said:
    They've been called Coneys since the early 1900s. By your logic, we shouldn't have a state named Washington or streets named Main Street outside of Jamestown

@primesuspect Come on lighten up. I can admit when I'm wrong. After researching the ship out of this for the past few days, I have found that this phenomenon apparently sprung up in several areas simultaneously about 1913.

BTW
    It wasn't my logic. I was just being a boner. :D And I do wish I had a nickel for every Main Street in the land. Now where's @Kwitko when you need him?

primesuspect
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I am only saddened by the fact Skyline Chili is what people think of as the OHIO cuisine. That shit nasty.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

It is an acquired taste. I don't even like Skyline when it comes to Cincy chili.

I don't think Cleveland or CBus have a regional dish, probably why Cincinnati Chili because the iconic food.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Skyline or GTFO... ;)

GHoosdumMAGIClulufitzgerald

Blue Ash > Skyline.

Don't get me wrong, I like Skyline when I'm driving through the Buckeye.... but it's got a time and place.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

That's it you guys, I'm going to Skyline tonight.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

Knowing nothing about Skyline Chili I googled it. When you have to hide your chili under a pound of cheese, it's probably not the greatest.

GHoosdum

I haven't been I about a year but Jimmys in Hazleton, Pa. makes their own sauce. I think one of the prerequisites for working there is to be able to make about 10 while lined up along one arm. No cheese, just dog, bun, sauce and minced onions.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

@Signal said:
    Knowing nothing about Skyline Chili I googled it. When you have to hide your chili under a pound of cheese, it's probably not the greatest.

I've always poked fun at their chili. Recently I tried it and it wasn't really chili, but it wasn't bad either. A skyline 3-way is kind of like spaghetti bolognese.

But really, I go to Skyline for the pound of cheese atop my black bean burrito deluxe. It serves as the perfect platform for half a bottle of Skyline hot sauce. Plus kids eat free on Wednesdays at our local Skyline.

CBZanthian
  • lulufitzgeraldlulufitzgerald Milford, Ohio Icrontian

All of this take about cheese coneys makes me want Skyline for dinner tonight. Mmm... chilitos with sour cream.

GHoosdumZanthian
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@d3k0y said:
    It is an acquired taste. I don't even like Skyline when it comes to Cincy chili.

I don't think Cleveland or CBus have a regional dish, probably why Cincinnati Chili because the iconic food.

Cleveland has the Polish Boy which is just awesome.