If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Cars you've owned throughout the years

1235»

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    Since all of the above foofaraw, I replaced the Optima with a 2012 Nissan Altima, which I sold last year to make room for the family minivan (2014 Chrysler T&C).

Old.

GHoosdum
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Gentleman Farmer Houston, TX Icrontian

I was going to try to post pictures, but I’d never get it done, so. . .
    1962 Morris Minor
    1964 Mercury Comet
    1973 Plymouth Valiant (1st new car) (good car)
    Crashed the Plymouth, bought really cheap POS Dodge or Plymouth – don’t remember what year or model (Sad story. Found 1965 Ford Mustang at used car dealer. Agreed to price if they would add new tires. Would pick up on Monday. Mechanic took car for the weekend and crashed it. I got the POS instead.)
    1980 Chevrolet Citation (another POS)
    1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera (good car)
    1994 Ford Explorer Sport (good car)
    2007 BMW 328i (great car)

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

1984 Honda Accord - Cracked the block at 212,000 miles.
    1996 Chevy Corsica - Sold to CB
    1999 Buick Century - CB needed a car, so sold my Corsica to him and then my grandparents gave me this car when they bought a new one.
    2007 Ford Fusion - Bought new with 9 miles on the odometer. Traded in at 110,000 miles to get my new car.
    2013 Nissan Leaf - Bought used with 11,000 miles on it. Finally went green!!

• ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian

So.... I like my Fusion Hybrid... at least the car part anyway.

The Sync system has devolved from a big selling point to a major frustration. I've had to take it to the dealership 2 times, with a third coming up next week, to have the APIC reprogrammed. Based on grilling the service rep that I work with, and their "Sync guy", it seems that the current version of Sync has a buffer overflow (my words, based on the information I dragged out of them) which they claim is most frequently triggered by emoji data. When emoji are present in contacts or messages that get sent to Sync via the Bluetooth connection, it can corrupt the Sync code in the APIC. Ignoring the fact that this happened the last time when I had both contact and message syncing turned off (to hopefully stop that from happening again, despite the fact that I have no emoji in my contacts and don't get MMS messages which are what get sent to the car), this is a HUUUUUGE bug and potential massive security flaw. You can really tell that Sync was made by Microsoft. Every patch to fix one bug introduces 5 more, I swear. I'm hoping they can install an older version of Sync when I go in next week so this crap doesn't happen again. I might lose a couple nice features (like media text being displayed on the dash from the Bluetooth connection), but I'd rather lose the features than have to keep taking my car in every month to have the APIC reprogrammed. Especially since them doing that resets all my dashboard settings and my long term MPG data.

At least I've bitched enough that they're not charging me every time their crap software corrupts itself and has to be reprogrammed by them.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat I am the hatchet man, look over your shoulder Icrontian

Past Sync was Microsoft. And from 2016 on will be Android, which is a major improvement. I too am suffering with some Sync issues in the 2014 F150 I got last year.

• SazbeanSazbean Paladins. Lawful good & violent about it. Detroit, MI Icrontian

Well, since this thread has been resurrected....

First car was hand-me-down 1985 Ford Aerostar, nicknamed the Webstermobile because we could take a shit-ton of friends out for lunch in high school. Drove this car through most of college, including several trips to Windsor (back when you just needed ID to cross the border). One of those trips, we had probably 10 people in the van (which only seats 7), so my friends pretended they were sitting in seats by kneeling in the space by the door. On the way back into the US, the customs officer insisted on asking each person individually what their citizenship was, so one buddy pretended to speak for the guy that was passed out. Good thing the officer didn't look too closely.... One of the first cars with digital speedometer, which was cool until the lights went out on it and you'd have to guess your speed based on what was showing and the wind speed out the side window. This thing survived for almost 250k miles, including an engine rebuild until I got a new car in college and my sister totaled it within a couple of months.

Got an internship for the summer in Boston at Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), and there was no way the Aerostar was going to make it up and down the mountains from Michigan to Boston. So, I purchased my first car, a used red 1995 Ford Contour. I could fit amazing amounts of stuff into this car by putting the back of the passenger seat in the lying down position. Had some zip, but after college had a head gasket fail (one of the stupidest expensive pieces of a car to replace because they have to basically take the entire engine out). Drove it until after getting married, buying a house and deciding we needed something a bit bigger to start a family....

I loved my 1999 Ford Explorer -- took it on a ton of trips, including off-roading. Was fun to drive and could carry all our stuff and our dog up to the cabin... eventually + a kid and another dog. Was nice to have a car that we could use to go to Home Depot to get things for our various house projects. Liked this one enough to get 2 more until I got sick of Fords (hard to turn down a Z plan discount), and bought one of my favorite cars...

2007 Mazda CX7 -- Turbo 4 cylinder SUV that handled more like a car with AWD, plus space for all our stuff, dogs and kid on trips. I loved driving this car, even though the turbo went out right after warranty (of course). Would have driven it longer but it started having engine issues and mechanic said it was going to cost and arm and a leg to replace.

Traded in the CX7 for pretty good money to buy a 2013 Ford Escape which is our current family car. I really like it, except I listened to my dad and got FWD instead of AWD so it's not great in the snow :( We'll probably trade it in for something else in the next few years.

My current car and favorite by far is my 2015 Cadillac (my husband now works for GM) Performance ATS AWD with a 272-hp, 2.0-liter I-4 -- perfectly balanced front/back and left/right so it carves through curves. I like to smoke people at stop lights and drive the winding roads at night with the moonroof open and tunes blaring.

pigflipper
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2015

.... and finally, third time I take my car in because the Sync system was corrupted and stopped working, they were able to pull a hard fault code. Apparently the APIC they keep having to reprogram is actually physically failing. GO FIGURE. Costs over 500 to replace the damn thing, but it should fix the problem once and for all. Allegedly. Now I just need to scrounge up 5 bills. sigh

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat I am the hatchet man, look over your shoulder Icrontian
    edited Dec 2015

Oops

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

His love for this Geo is making me remember that "first car at 16 years old" feeling.

GHoosdum
  • drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@TheRedburn said:
    I can now be a part of this thread, due to my exceedingly awesome first car - Aaron's 1996 Geo Prizm!

I've taken it upon myself to restore this car to its former glory, so I've been sanding and painting it, cleaning the interior, and have already purchased a new front bumper. This picture is before I started sanding, so the hood looks like junk still. I have plans to find an aluminum wheel to replace that mismatched steel one in the picture, but we'll (HAH GET IT, LIKE WHEEL?) see.

My first car was a '96 Geo Prizm and was a hand-me-down from my sister. It lasted through both of our high school experiences and partway through my college before I crashed it in 2006. It's pretty much a Corolla under the hood and is a good car.

Do you have the manual or the automatic? I had the automatic but my sister's ex-boyfriend let me drive his manual Prizm and it was a much better-handling vehicle. Good luck with your rework!

P.S. the black steel wheels are original; it used to have plastic hubcaps.

BuddyJ
  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    Do you have the manual or automatic?

I have the automatic, but I think it handles just fine. Its a little jumpy on curves, but that's because its wheels are so small

• drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@TheRedburn said:

@drasnor said:
    Do you have the manual or automatic?

I have the automatic, but I think it handles just fine. Its a little jumpy on curves, but that's because its wheels are so small

I remember those fourteen inches of rubber well. As an aside, if you are sufficiently motivated and have the wherewithal you can eke some more power out of the engine by replacing the cylinder heads with those from a Toyota MR2 of the same generation.

TheRedburnprimesuspect

I'll look into it, thanks!

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Gentleman Farmer Houston, TX Icrontian

@TheRedburn said:
    ... I think it handles just fine. Its a little jumpy on curves, but that's because its wheels are so small

"Jumpy on curves" is not part of "handles fine". You might check to see if the shocks are as original as the bumper in the picture.

When the car left the mechanic, I was told that the shocks where one of the few really good parts on the car. I blame it on the uneven roads in Michigan.

My first official car, a 1993 stick-shift Toyota Celica

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Dat convertible top is dope in the winter ;D

1235»