MEET YOUR MATCH - competitive, ranked play comes to TF2

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I'm down for this. I can play any night but Wednesday since that's already Mitey Worriers Game Night.

edited July 2016

So I've managed to play one competitive match and then spent 10 minutes waiting to find a second game. I finally found that second game and then right when it was about to start several people disconnected, so the game didn't start, so it was back to the searching screen for several more minutes. At that point I gave up. Hopefully things get better, but I was not impressed with my first foray into competitive mode.

_k
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Oh man that's a HUGE patch

Strikes
  • FargeFarge Icrontian

RIP Pubs. I fired up the game last night hoping to pop into a server and check out the changes, maybe score some points for heavy, and found that pubs have been replaced with casual matchmaking. I think community servers might be making a comeback if this doesn't get rolled back or kill the game completely.

_kStrikesUPSLynx
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2016

My medi-gun could be in, depending on scheduling.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Farge
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

I think for now (a couple weeks) I'll just help out with practice and stuff like that if needed, but I won't go into the ranked matches. I'm pretty much a ball of stress right now and taking teamwork, and coordination VERY SERIOUSLY is just gonna make me explode. Those of you who raided with me know something similar.

Once things have calmed down for me I'll be game for "climbing down the tree to get the ripest bananas".

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    WELP.

Overwatch must have taken a HUGE bite out of TF2, because this.

I'm interested.

Where my MvM team at. We got this.

@Signal @BobbyDigi @Karma @PirateNinja @trooster89 @_K @RahnalH102? We got this?

I'm super rusty but I'll give it my best

edited July 2016

@trooster89 said:

I'm super rusty but I'll give it my best

That's what she said.

trooster89
  • FargeFarge Icrontian
    edited July 2016

Fired up the game hoping to play a casual match. Chose CTF and KOTH game modes. Couldn't pick what maps I wanted to play. Waited probably a half hour before I was matched into a landfall server. Neither team performed well but the other team sucked slightly less. Game was over in less than 5 minutes at which point my search began again.

Holy hell they either need to fix this or roll it back. (Or maybe we should pimp the icrontic server more since people will be on the hunt for community servers again)

Edit: forgot to mention that 2 people on my team dropped like a minute in, and were not replaced by anyone. That certainly didn't help either.

Edit2: Round 2 was only a 10 minute or so wait. We won in a complete stomp because blu couldn't kick their AFKs as the vote kick feature has been removed. Though it isn't as though the people they kick would be replaced...

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

Is "Community Servers" not the same as before? There don't seem to be as many valve servers up right now though

• FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

If the casual match making queue doesn't get patched to be quicker or the community server list doesn't fill up this update might have killed TF2 for me.

Farge
    edited July 2016

RahnalH102MassalinieFarge

10/10 Uncle Dane

Farge
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

Wait this shit costs money to do?

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2016

@Karma said:
    Wait this shit costs money to do?

Only if you don't tie a phone number to your account

Source

Q: HOW DO I GET ACCESS TO COMPETITIVE MODE?
    A: To gain access to Competitive Mode, you must have a Premium TF2 Account and a qualifying telephone number on Steam. Examples of a telephone number that does not qualify would be a Voice Over IP number (e.g. Skype) or a number linked to a VAC-banned account. (For more information about qualifying phone numbers, please visit the Steam FAQ.)

-Digi

primesuspect

I'm honestly not sure what that pass is for then or is it only useful for f2ps?

Are we doing this tomorrow? My body is ready.

Yeah let's do it! 9pm tomorrow!

This is a good time to remind people that we have an Icrontic calendar :)

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=kj39pp8knoabgk7not2jq2ioac@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

Massalinie

Massalinie

Our first foray into competitive play was super fun. There are some bugs in the mode still (servers went down, some people didn't get XP), but having a coordinated team really works.

We did alright in Casual mode but in Competitive we ... didn't do so well. We lost five in a row, but that was with four of us playing and two pubs every time. We need to have a team of 6, with roles, strategy, and organization to make this work in Competitive mode.

I'm definitely committed. I'm pretty sure @_K and @Massalinie are too. Let's get a few more "for sures" that want to practice once a week and play every wednesday and we can have a really good time.

Big ups to @Karma @_K @Massalinie @FettBacon @Pirateninja for trying this out. Let's do this!

Also: Dicks

Friendly spirit before the match:

BobbyDigiMassalinie
    edited July 2016

I am definitely in, will be a good opportunity for me to get good at some other classes besides pyro :-P

Inside the scout and "Karma's Taco Hole"
    I got stuck in weird spectate

_k

The borked team screen. Also used the "you poopin'" phrase on my cat............yeah.

Massalinie

@_k said:
    The borked team screen. Also used the "you poopin'" phrase on my cat............yeah.

>

You do have a "leave party" button though, I think karma didn't have one, different bug maybe

primesuspect

pub stomping in casual is still a thing. So many quit. After a full round of heavy I switched to sniper; Treetwo made up a lot of ground on me.

Massalinie

I thought we were meeting sat for strategy planning and practice! Only @_k and @FettBacon showed up :-P Meeting again Wed?

I thought we were meeting sat for strategy planning and practice! Only @_k and @FettBacon showed up :-P Meeting again Wed?

I couldn't make it, sorry. Had to go to a birthday party for Nicole's friend

@primesuspect said:
    Nicole's friend

What is a friend? The only thing I know is "war is hell! My kind of hell!"

primesuspect