Roku windows 10 mirror suggestions

I'm setting up a Roku 2 on a campus network where WiFi direct doesn't always work well. I want to set up a screen mirror from a Windows 10 desktop and for the life of me I can't remember the name of an app that does that brilliantly. I know I have seen it. Anyone have any experience using the windows screen mirroring features on the Roku? Are there apps outside of the native WiFi direct that screen cast from Windows to Roku?

Comments

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2016

Apparently you don't actually need an app to mirror windows;
    On the Roku go to Settings -> System -> Screen Mirroring and enable it
    Then on Windows (8 and up) it should show up in devices (Settings -> PC and Devices) if you are on the same network as the Roku. I haven't tried it but it's supposed to work. Make sure your Roku device offers it, I think Roku 2+ or the stick should have it.
    I would just use a wired connection but that may not be an option. Casting only works over the network afaik so you need a good connection whether it's wifi or not.
    Not aware of any apps that do it but I'm new to Roku.

Sonorous
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2016

Plex media sever was okay for content but the user wants a full screen mirror and for the life of me I can't get the native mirroring to work on our campus mesh network.

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

Hmm, that sucks. Roku is apparently just like this in general, things often don't work with no explanation or fix. :-/