Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

Cool concept if you're a strict no emulator type of person, but I'm not. And, I don't have enough time to play my current games let alone 20 year old ones.

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

Yea, seems like a collector's piece to me. Got to admit the selection of games is pretty good, but I own pretty much everything from that era I'd be interested in via re-releases on other platforms.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Meh. There are like five different ways to play almost all the interesting games on that list anyway.

UPSLynxMassalinie
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@MAGIC said:
    Cool concept if you're a strict no emulator type of person

Is it? A mini system implies classic cartridges won't fit, which means it's all running in software, which highly suggests emulation. It also sounds like those 30 games are all you can play on it.

Big-time pass on this.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

It's neat. I'm not much interested in it myself, but I could see getting it for someone who I would like to introduce these classic games to in a very easy-to-use package. Like I might get this for Martin to play, rather than getting my NES and cartridges out of the attic.

I can also see _lots _of people getting this for Christmas.

Lincardichoke

Right, I think it's a great consumer-friendly package for folks who aren't technically savvy or willing to mess with a bunch of cords / adapters / research. I don't doubt it'll be a moderate success, it's just not something I foresee a lot of Icrontic-set hardware hackers caring about.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Maybe the door flips up and a DS-style cart can go in there? I mean, you could fit the entire NES release library on a MicroSD with room for 2 years of vacation photos.

• I want one for simplicity and to have that authentic feel. Who doesn't want an NES on their home theater rack? Sure there are other ways, but this is a mega deal at $60. No fuss, it uses the original controller, it's official Nintendo hardware. I'll buy one.

@Cliff_Forster said:
    I want one for simplicity and to have that authentic feel. Who doesn't want an NES on their home theater rack? Sure there are other ways, but this is a mega deal at $60. No fuss, it uses the original controller, it's official Nintendo hardware. I'll buy one.

If you already own any games not in the 30 or have any designs on expanding your retro gaming, it makes better sense to me to buy an NES-101 top loader off Ebay for $100.

BuddyJMassalinie
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

It's very neat for nostalgia's sake, but it's nothing my HTPC doesn't already do better.

Canti
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

As an old, neat nostalgic toys at a reasonable price is a-ok.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@Linc said:

@MAGIC said:
    Cool concept if you're a strict no emulator type of person

Is it? A mini system implies classic cartridges won't fit, which means it's all running in software, which highly suggests emulation. It also sounds like those 30 games are all you can play on it.

Big-time pass on this.

Right, this is an emulator. I was referring to pirating and emulating the games.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

-Digi

oni_dels
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2016

I beat this game.

My yo-yo is mighty.

primesuspectBuddyJoni_dels
  • Man if they could just add Bases Loaded, RC Pro AM and Mega Man 3.

Bases Loaded was an obsession for one summer. RC Pro AM was the first game that made me throw my controller and Mega Man 3 isn't necessarily better than 2 but there is a little more meat to it, a logical continuation in the series. I don't assume for $60 this is going to have any connectivity and additional storage to download extra games. Still, this is an amazing package. You really can't argue with it, two controllers will have you at $70 to play 30 very well qualified classics.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Man if they could just add Bases Loaded, RC Pro AM and Mega Man 3.

Bases Loaded was an obsession for one summer.

Just one summer? Pretty sure my friends and I played that game obsessively for a couple years (in the winter... during the summer we were busy playing actual baseball outdoors).

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Star Tropics was one of the most underrated NES games of all time. All time.

I loved that game.

ColgereBuddyJ

I continue to underrate it to this day.

GHoosdumLincRahnalH102
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

You could just get a Retron and hit up a used game store to buy cartridges.

Do want Retron 5. Badly.

• Do you remember how difficult NES cartridges were? Blowing inside to get a mouth full of dust? I mean it's a charming memory and all but I'm totally cool with not having to do that.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

Yes but you felt like a goddamn engineer when you got the right combination of blowing, insertion, and wiggling to finally make it work. You had an NES growing up if that sentence made you think of pixelated screens instead of sex.

SazbeanCliff_Forster

@Signal said:
    You had an NES growing up if that sentence made you think of pixelated screens instead of sex.

Por que no los dos?

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Releases today. Anyone pick one up or planning to?

Looks like it flew off shelves this morning. If looking to order one, next best change is Amazon sale will go up at 2pm Pacific today.

-Digi

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Amazon was broken and they sold out in probably a second

It's almost as if Nintendo has learned from experience that they can create more demand by artificially limiting supply.

AlexDeGruven