I need a new phone, PLEASE HELP

LevexLevex Animal WhispererIowa Icrontian

I am due for a phone upgrade next month but I have no idea what to get. I have AT&T and nothing is off limits. I currently have a Note4 and I love it but the batterydies twice a day. I've heard the Note5 has similar battery issues. My phone takes a ton of wear and tear because I am constantly in contact with clients about jobs and dogs. Taking pictures, text messages, Facebook/messanger, emails, calander, etc. Help me out guys I need a durable battery life and a decently sized screen. Thanks!!!

[Deleted User]

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Unfortunately, battery and screen are each others' antithesis. The bigger and higher density the screen, the more power is needed to drive it, and the more backlighting is needed to view it. This is one of those scenarios where you might consider a smaller screen, or barring that, some kind of case-integrated extended battery scenario to get the screen size and battery life you want.

Personally, I run with the Nexus 6P, and I love it. Other super highly-rated phones right now are the Samsung S7 and S7 Edge. Those are the big ones of which I know.

Levex
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I've been recommending Nexus devices since I got my first one and haven't looked back. Won't qualify for a phone upgrade though. Nexus 6P is a great phone, excellent battery and screen size.

Agree with @Snarkasm otherwise.

LevexMassalinie
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Nexus 6p owner here. Great phone. Keeps up with my above average use.

Levex
  • LevexLevex Animal Whisperer Iowa Icrontian

Thanks guys, my plan is saying that the Nexus is available for the upgrade program we are on, but its currently out of stock. I will have to find out if this is permanent or not.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

For battery life reasons, I'll recommend Nexus 5X. If screen size is more important, the 6P is wonderful.

Levex
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2016

I currently have the Note4 and S7 Edge (on different carriers) due to my needing to be connected in various locations across the country. The battery life on the 7 Edge is quite a bit better than the Note4 due to capacity and lower consumption of the newer parts. I don't know about you but when I have to depend on the 7 Edge I feel like I am missing something as I use the stylus quite a bit every day. On the other hand the camera on the 7 Edge is much faster focusing and substantially better in low light over my Note4. I am still planning on upgrading to the Note7 (aka Note6) when it comes out in about a month. It will have a better camera than both phones I have now as well as a lot more battery than either. I carry a USB powerpack which can charge my Note4 1 1/2 times as I use mine extensively every day as well. I agree with the others as well and thought I would throw some other info out there.

Levex

Thanks @Mt_Goat I am interested in the Note7 also but I didn't know when it was going to be released.

Nexus is no longer an option via AT&T

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I love my Samsung S7 Edge.

Depending on your budget, you can buy it directly from Google and just tell AT&T to give you a SIM card, if you need it. If you're explicitly looking for an upgrade phone because it's cheaper, then that's not the answer. :) You'd have to tell us what is available via upgrade so we could help advise on the best.

edited July 2016

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/cellphones.html

Any of these

But I will look up prices on the Nexus, thanks.

Yeah, the S7s look like the best option there if you're looking for Android.

Levex
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2016

Minority opinion here, but I love my iPhone 6S. Good no nonsense phone, decent battery life. I'm not really into customizing my phones interface or look. I pretty much use it for photos, call/text, work email, and Pokemon Go.

Levex
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
  • MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

I have had nothing but nightmares with my Android phone, but it's certainly due to a problem with my particular device and not Android on the whole. Either way using it (and developing for it) has enlightened me on the things that I really miss about iPhone. Oh my gosh I miss my iPhone so much; something about the awesome way it just worked and did all the things a phone is supposed to do without any stress or mucking about on my part.

The features that matter to you are likely to be different, but I will tell you the things that have occurred to me;

• I miss actually getting updates. My current phone (Sony M4 Aqua) which I've had for almost a year has never updated and they've been promising me 6.0 "soon" since it was released. Nexus devices have security updates pushed to them faster which is good; I see you said it's not an option but honestly if I decide to go android again it will be a Nexus, nothing else comes close. They're solid, responsive and reliable, and I just generally like the way they feel to use.
    • The cameras on Androids can be really hit or miss, mine sucks BALLS but this device was pretty cheap so, you know. Some of them have better cameras (cough Nexus). When I got this phone I figured they'd all be similar enough in the way that most consumer digital cameras are; next time I'm gonna research it more before I buy.
    • Waterproofing is the most amazing thing ever to happen to my phone, I love it. I use it in the rain, snow, in the boat, or the bath; it's brilliant. Taking photos underwater: tremendous fun although your touchscreen won't work so it must have a button.
    • The Sony music app has its flaws but don't even get me started on iTunes, like every update they've ever done just makes it worse and worse. I have yet to find any smart phone music app that I actually like but I haven't really tried that hard.
    • Battery life is just sort of what it is right now. Often the stats are not in line with reality because it will vary widely based on how you use it (brightness, wifi, bluetooth, Pokemon Go, etc). Each manufacturer may measure battery life differently, not sure if there is a standard. With smart phones you're getting less than a day no matter how you slice it (makes me miss my old Keybo, charged that sucker once a week). I have an extra battery pack for mine, just in case. You can get ones with enough storage to charge your phone once that are about the size of a lipstick.
    • The real advantage to Android over iPhone is the versatility of it. It's super nice to develop on because you can do so much with relative ease whereas Apple has all these rules and restrictions because they want consistency. This consistency is REALLY NICE as a user (imho). But it means my only real reason for even considering Android is because I love developing for it, which isn't really relevant to most people.

My one real piece of advice with Android is: newer is better. Old Android devices stop being supported rather quickly. First the manufacturers stop pushing the latest OS to you and then you're stuck on an older version of the OS which apps will stop supporting as the number of users still on those older versions drops. So when you're considering additional cost vs features, remember newer ones will get the new OS first. For version bear in mind Nougat is coming soon so you probably want Marshmallow at minimum (6.0). Just for the sake of comparison; Apple seems to keep giving you updates even when your device hardware isn't good enough (you'll just be missing those features) until pretty much nobody is using that device anymore.

Ultimately it's a personal choice; you have to consider the features you want and find a balance. Other people's opinions can help but their needs may be different to yours and they may weigh the importance of certain features differently than you would so you just have to take the time to read about them yourself. I'm still not sure whether I'll go back to iPhone or go Nexus when this one kicks the bucket (or frustrates me to the point of tossing it into the sea). It will depend mostly on what's available then - I haven't looked at costs or specs recently.

_kprimesuspect
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Updates depend an AWFUL LOT on your carrier, and not the phone manufacturer. Sony is actually pretty good about their updates, but YMMV depending on your carrier.

Thrax

Let's be real: OS upgrades haven't been a joyride for iOS owners either. :(

@primesuspect said:
    Updates depend an AWFUL LOT on your carrier, and not the phone manufacturer. Sony is actually pretty good about their updates, but YMMV depending on your carrier.

I did not know this. Why would the carrier have anything to do with it? I could buy a cell phone from a different carrier and unlock it. Can download updates without even having a carrier, can't you?

No. US carriers typically customize the firmware so you're locked into updates that match the security hash of their unique firmware. Verizon is the worst at this, ATT close second, Sprint lol, TMo is "best".

This is why you buy phones direct! Avoid the bloatware and crap that comes with getting your phone through your carrier if you can swing it financially. I know that's not an option for a lot of folks, though.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I bought a OnePlus One with CyanogenMod a couple of years ago. I'm pretty happy with the support, even two years later I still get an OS update pushed from Cyanogen every few months and haven't felt any urge to buy anything newer.

@drasnor said:
    I bought a OnePlus One with CyanogenMod a couple of years ago. I'm pretty happy with the support, even two years later I still get an OS update pushed from Cyanogen every few months and haven't felt any urge to buy anything newer.

Yeah I've heard good things about those, although I heard the customer service sucked and was the main drawback.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@Massalinie said:

@drasnor said:

Yeah I've heard good things about those, although I heard the customer service sucked and was the main drawback.

I wouldn't know about the customer service because i've never used it.

Thrax[Deleted User]