Dickbots VII - Wrath of Khanbots [complete]

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Basil how did you disable religion? I've been Googling this for days and haven't found anything in the API or XML files.

• I actually thought that was an option with a GUI in the game setup, like a check box near no goodie huts.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2016

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135462594

I'm not sure if this is exactly the Mod I have, but it's similar. Now that I think of it, I think I followed some online instructions to hack the XML back in the days before Steam Workshop.

Mods usually only work with single player. Apparently I can use mods, upload a single player game, and it'll convert it, but I have to have chosen that option to begin with, and I didn't, because I didn't realize the options I proposed were so exotic.

@CB @Tushon @GHoosdum @Snarkasm @CrazyJoe
    Since GMR won't let you change anything after you've pressed start, we have two options:

• I cancel this game, restart the game and re-send invites so I can make it a mod game with settings as desired.
    • I can approximate what we want just by changing the map xml. I can set the max religions to 0, which will let us have faith and pantheons, but not religions. We will also get the default start units, which will be one settler and two merchants (presumably 3 settlers for Mongolia), which feels a bit much, but whatever. Pantheons only is actually kind of nice, but this option leaves the possibility of needing to hax the save later for perma-war.

If I don't hear back from most folks by Wednesday, I'll cancel and re-send invites. Sorry about the hassle.

@PirateNinja said:
    I actually thought that was an option with a GUI in the game setup, like a check box near no goodie huts.

Unfortunately, nope. I even enabled it, and it didn't show up. I think it was an option in Civ4.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I'll leave choice up to wiser minds.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

No preference.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

Honestly I'll go with whatever is easiest for you, Garg. You're the one doing the setup work!

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Same, I don't mind.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I concur with the lack of preference.

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the hassle. I'll see if I can get the game restarted tonight with the desired options.

I surrendered the game, so you'll all need to surrender, too.

New invites sent, after I figured out how to spell @GHoosdum's Steam name of the month. ;)

LOL thanks. I joined.

Am I supposed to be starting the game? I feel like I'm going to fuck that up.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    Dec 2015

Next time someone complains about a 5-10 min lobby in TF2 or Overwatch, I'mma point them to this thread.

-Digi

GargGHoosdum

@Tushon said:
    Am I supposed to be starting the game? I feel like I'm going to fuck that up.

You're supposed to surrender from the first one, and I see you've already accepted the invite to the second one (with v2 in the title).

I'll get the second one started after @CrazyJoe accepts the invite and I get the right mods to disable religion. Really Advanced Setup is great for everything else we need.

Aha, I knew I was gonna fuck it up. Thanks :)

So the old game appears to still be in my GMR client even though I surrendered it via website. Any clues?
    http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game#23384

Will it just disappear eventually?

Probably, my GMR client sometimes loses connectivity to the server or displays outdated info or a partial game list. Sometimes I have to kill the client process and restart it.

GMR will delete its record of the game eventually, but all I had to do to remove it from my client was to restart it.

Hmm, I've tried that twice on both my home and work machine. Oh well, thanks for the info

@CB said:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135462594

I'm not sure if this is exactly the Mod I have, but it's similar. Now that I think of it, I think I followed some online instructions to hack the XML back in the days before Steam Workshop.

I added it, but it doesn't show up in the mod list. Other mods I've added do show up, so it's not just a refresh issue.

I'm totally frustrated with this disabling religion situation. As far as I can tell it's impossible, and yet we've played a game with it disabled and it worked perfectly, which is really the root of my frustration. It's clearly possible, but I can't do it. Unless someone can point me to something that works, we'll just do the map edit where we can have pantheons but not religions.

@CrazyJoe plz choose Venice on game page. Currently you're set to random Civ.

I don't know if GMR chooses the random Civ, or if it lets the game save define the random Civ, but if it's the former, we'd have to start all over again.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I need another invite since the game is set to private.

@CrazyJoe invite sent

• Can we start this one?

Sorry folks, the holdups are twofold and hopefully I'll fix them on Sunday:
    1-The game refuses to start the requested number of city states, and that's important for this game being balanced. I'll keep trying option combinations and/or create a scenario (although I can't remember if the option I used to start the GMR game will allow a scenario).
    2-I'm on vacation and get back Saturday night.

I did find a mod to disable religion, but outside of a scenario, there isn't a perma-war option that works for us. So, we'll declare war the old-fashioned way and mod the save if one of us gets eliminated and the AI takes over.

• Thanks for doing all the work to set this thing up, Garg. I appreciate you!

GargCBBasil
    edited September 2016

I made progress tonight! Problem was that the algorithm for placing city states thought they were too cramped, and so it often wouldn't place around half of them. I played with some options in SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\Lua\AssignStartingPlots.lua and got all of the requested city states to join the game.

Some more minor issues remain, like how some city states wander around as settlers for way too long, but I think I can actually get this thing started tomorrow. I would have gotten it started tonight, but I wasted a ton of time on one little thing and now it's late. It turns out that the hours I spent frustrated at it seemingly ignoring my code changes were because my backup copy of the original that I named AssignStartingPlots - backup.lua was still being loaded, and thus overrode my changes in the other file. After I changed the file extension of the backup, things started working. I wouldn't have thought Civ would load just any old .lua file laying around, but TIL.

GHoosdumBasil
    edited September 2016

Oh hey, we started.

If you see a city state settler, chase it around with your scout until it builds a city. They seem to stay put for several turns unless harassed. There are 9 city states. The logs show that 3 are in decent spots, and 6 were placed in what the game thinks was not a very good spot, and may need a few turns to wander around before they settle.

We can puppet city states with our Merchants of Venice, but don't do it unless you have plenty of cash flow to buy units in those puppeted cities. We can't send caravans to each other for money, but we can to non-puppeted city states, so those are a valuable income source.

Do we want to declare war on the Khanbots as soon as we see them, or wait a few turns? In my tests, the Khanbots stayed true to character and started building catapults right away.