Dickbots VII - Wrath of Khanbots [complete]

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Make sure you have downloaded the Really Advanced Start Mod or it won't let you load your turn.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Dang, didn't think that would be necessary since it doesn't do anything after the map is loaded :(

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

So to be clear: I need to get the mod Joe mentioned, install it, and how do I work with GMR to get my turn executed? Sorry, first time using it. I should be able to take my turn tonight.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Yeah, the mod part isn't normal. Since it isn't actually called what he referenced, here is a direct link.

For GMR, you download the app (and copy the key on that page), start it up and input the key under the gear. You'll see games in the "all games" section or in your turns. I would also make sure the following settings are checked under the gear due to bugs in saving games:
    Start minimized
    Move submitted saves to archive folder
    Hide the client when minimized
    Notify me when I have a new turn
    dropdown: directx: choose 10/11
    dropdown: automatically close Civ when "A new save is detected"

When you have a turn, you download it by clicking on it in the client, then it will launch steam and civ automatically. Choose multiplayer -> hotseat -> load game -> you'll see a GMR game. Load it, play turn, then save it onto that same file. Civ will exit automatically and then hit submit in the client.

GargSnarkasm

Great instructions, Nick, thanks. Had to get a few extra DLCs, but got it working.

I have a set of scouts following Kuala Lumpur, but I wasn't entirely sure what else to do at this point, so I just plopped down a settler.

Garg

So are we holding off on DoW? Or can I go ahead and steal a worker?

• Am I right in thinking we only have one city on the coast? If so, we might want to hold off on DoW against the Khanbots until we can properly defend our only coastal city, otherwise we'd be severely hamstrung in naval support should they flatten it.

Should we set a deadline of X many turns to motivate us?

GHoosdum

OK, it's turn 88 now. How about turn 100 we declare perma-war?

@GHoosdum @CrazyJoe @Snarkasm @Tushon @CB

• Sounds good to me. I'll send my archer to the area around our coastal city to help defend it.

Shall I spawn another settler sometime soon and try to get a coastal city? I'm pretty close to a coast.

@Snarkasm said:
    Shall I spawn another settler sometime soon and try to get a coastal city? I'm pretty close to a coast.

Venice can't do that, however, we can take over city-states with our Merchants of Venice, and it just so happens there's a city state on the south side of the lake.

However, you are limited to only buying things in the city state, not choosing what they build. So, we probably want to wait to take over city states until we have a good cash flow. Or, we could do it to distract the Khanbots if they're coming right for us.

Hopefully we can get an alliance with a city state or two before we declare war. We might expect them to fall, though, because Khan's got bonuses against them.

Are we ready for war? If I don't hear otherwise, I'll declare next turn.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2017

@Tushon I think you should buy the below circled wine tile on your turn. For some reason my idiot city is trying to take it via culture next turn, except it's not in the 3-tile useful radius for my city, and it is within yours. I don't know if it's possible for me to change the target of my cultural border expansion, but I'd rather you have the tile and use it, than me have it for no useful reason.

@Gargoyle I see the AI has a lot of siege units built and we don't have much of a defensive perimeter yet. I started with infrastructure building before military, maybe that was dumb? I don't know about anyone else though. You're right though, we do need to start cleaning up these Dickbots.

CBTushon

@GHoosdum said:
    I started with infrastructure building before military, maybe that was dumb? I don't know about anyone else though. You're right though, we do need to start cleaning up these Dickbots.

Not just you, we all got comfy. We're living the Venetian good life, and we've got to make sure it's secure against the robotic hordes. Maybe 10 more turns? Declare war on turn 110?

I'm close to the front lines, and with my great general's fort (thanks Honor social policy) and a few more turns, I can be adequately defended. Good news is only me and two city states have cities on the lake, so we have a monopoly on sea power! I haven't got around to building ships for bombarding, but assuming I live long enough, those will come in handy.

When they get horses and Chivalry, things can get bad for us, quick.

• I'm in for turn 110.

Tushon

Fine with me. CB & Garg, wanna focus on Old Sarai first?

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

okay

I'm all for flattening Old Sarai, but don't forget to defend our homeland against their catapult hordes.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I'm pretty well protected with the mountains to my southeast. If I leave a Spearman at home, and keep enough money on hand to buy one more archer, I should be good against anything that sneks around the mountains.

GHoosdum

It's on!

So far I've taken one pixel of health off of one of their units. I'm doin it rong.

edited April 2017

I'm counting on Old Sarai to throw their units up against my citadel and let my archers shoot at them. After their superior numbers are gone, then I'll build an offense. Until then, I plan on supporting just my archers and one offensive horseman to opportunistically flank and speed up their demise.

Old Sarai has a Keshik. I'll see if I can pillage their horses soon with my horseman.

GHoosdumCB

Poking @Tushon to take his turn

GHoosdum

@GHoosdum please wake up your archer and shoot some Mongols near Old Sarai

CB
  • @Gargoyle said:
    @GHoosdum please wake up your archer and shoot some Mongols near Old Sarai

Thanks for the reminder, Garg. I didn't realize the archer was asleep. I've activated it now, and another is on the way.

Garg
    edited October 2017

Not gonna lie, I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm just building what the city tells me to and have some units bunkered. What should I be working towards? Or should I just give my spot to an AI?

edited October 2017

@Snarkasm Looks like you've got a good army built up. I'd move it south to Hsia and follow whichever player is white (forgot to check).

You can use Horsemen to scout enemy positions and soften them up before the rest of your army gets there. Remember you get a small bonus for double-teaming an enemy, so if it's easy to do in the same turn, get two of your units next to an enemy before attacking it. That's easier to do with the Horsemen.

Then move you pikemen in up against the city to protect your archers from any spawning enemies, and have your archers bombard until the city defenses are down.

@GHoosdum said:
    and another is on the way.

I'll work on a road bypass around my city so that your guys can get down there more quickly. It'll take forever, because in Civ the workin' ain't easy, but it'll help eventually.

GHoosdum