Truck Get, truck problems, and license get!

2»

Comments

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

I had a 1994 version of that truck (better color) that served me well for 15 years with relatively few repairs. When it got to 130,000, I traded it for a BMW. It is my recommendation that you should do the same.

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited April 2016

So, the other day I wrote a little checklist of things to do to my truck to make sure that it gets to Detroit for Expo. It consists of:

• Get new driver seat
    • Tune-up (Currenly replacing spark plugs and wires myself)
    • Fix water-temp gauge
    • Fix locks
    • Oil change: Done
    • Ceiling fix*
    • Cigarette lighter* (I don't smoke but you never know when you need it)
    • Shifter fix* (safety switch)
      (* denotes optional)

I have already had some adventures with the spark plugs so far. I'll describe at a later time.

Hope everything works out well!

SonorousStraight_Man
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

Good deal! Now just post your best lap time for 465 and then it'll be official. ;)

@NullenVoyd said:
    Good deal! Now just post your best lap time for 465 and then it'll be official. ;)

Will that be rolling or standing start? :)

So I have done some thinking and I have an idea of what I want to do with my truck for when I get a new vehicle.

I am thinking of keeping my truck so that I can do a complete "tear-down" of the components (including the fuel line, exhaust system, and most importantly, the engine) in order to be able to learn about them, including how to work on them, and possibly work on them.

DontCallMeKelso

So I went to see my mechanic friend and had him look at the engine today.

It's not the timing chains.

He told me that if the timing chains were going bad, I would be able to hear it, to which he likened the sound to opening a chain gate while dragging it on the ground. All we heard was minor squeaking of the belts (perfectly normal).

He suggested that I check and replace my air filter, run some Sea Foam through the engine, clean the throttle body, and put the last four new spark plugs on (stopped at two after the first opinion).

So I am feeling pretty confident about being able to run my truck some more, maybe even to ICOK this year.

GHoosdumSonorous
    edited October 2016

Well, I tried putting on the third spark plug and it's now making a sound like a steam piston of sorts. Looks like I'm taking it in to get it done professionally.

Edit: It sounds more like a water sprinkler when at speed.

An update on my last post.

As I may have told some of you, I took my truck into the shop afterwards to get it fixed. The main problem: the spark plug was cross-threaded into its respective inlet (a consequence of working on the side of the street). They had to drill out the effected area and replace the threads. I also had them change my plugs and wires, my air filter, clean the throttle body, change the oil, and fix the thermometer in the radiator (while fixing my water temp gauge). The total cost: $1100. Not bad compared to the $3000 in labor alone to replace the engine (estimate from another shop).

And the saga of my truck continues! Yesterday, I went to a restaurant I frequent. I backed out of the parking spot in front of my house just fine. I get to the restaurant and pull into a spot. I put it in reverse to straighten it out.....

Nothing but engine revs.

I put it in drive, pulled out, and went back home. I park in front of my house, shift it into reverse, and....

The engine's revving but the truck isn't moving.

So I took it into the shop today, again! It'll be about Monday when they can take a look at it.

(P.S. The other gears work fine. It's just reverse that doesn't work.)

(P.P.S. Why do you have to make crappy vehicles @pseudonym ? ;) )

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Creeperbane2

Got the call from the shop today.....

It's the tranny. (I use that as typical short-term for transmission and not a transphobic slur.)

So the options I have are:

A.) Go somewhere where it's taken apart and fixed.

B.) Get a used transmission put in it.

C.) Get a new transmission for it.

Altogether, with labor included, I'm looking at $2200-$3600 to fix it.

And like that, after two years, my truck is no more. Looks like it's time to go shopping for a new one.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

Is the motor in good shape? You can get a used/rebuilt transmission and drop it in yourself for a grand or less. Its not that bad of a process if you can find access to a lift.

@MAGIC said:
    Is the motor in good shape? You can get a used/rebuilt transmission and drop it in yourself for a grand or less. Its not that bad of a process if you can find access to a lift.

The motor's fine. And the thing is, only the reverse gear is affected. Every other gear is fine.

With that being said, I bet it's not a bad process, but I'm just afraid of fucking up so badly my truck will never run again.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@aspieRommel said:

With that being said, I bet it's not a bad process, but I'm just afraid of fucking up so badly my truck will never run again.

But I mean, it sounds like you have nothing to lose. Isn't that pretty much where you're at right now?

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Well, he might be out another $1k or whatever for the transmission that couldn't go to the next car.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

That's how I learned to fix cars. I think it is how most people learn. The big advantage now that wasn't available when I was young, is that now you can YouTube about anything and watch it on your tablet as you go.

@Mt_Goat said:
    That's how I learned to fix cars. I think it is how most people learn. The big advantage now that wasn't available when I was young, is that now you can YouTube about anything and watch it on your tablet as you go.

Yes. But if I go that route, that'll be AFTER I purchase a new vehicle and keep the truck to dick around with.