How are people building their farms?

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

The cool weather has finally arrived in Texas! Since I can live with the AC turned off now the folding resumes in earnest.

As my average is starting to be more real without any gaming I keep looking at how close I am to 1 million ppd. Really want to push out a bunch of 1 million days again this winter. This has caused me to start looking at what is going to be the best value for pure folding and maybe down the road SLI to drive 4k monitors better; SLI 970s doesn't cut it.

Unless people start throwing out refurbed GTX 970s for $150, in a lot of ways being picky and trying to get a GTX 980 Ti as close to $300 as possible is the best deal. Roughly 800k ppd on a single card that can run off a 500 watt PSU. My dual 970 rig moves between 600 and 700k but there are heat issues and eventually fahControl needs to be bumped.

Guess I am on the prowl now for refurb/used 980 Ti but not for any gaming reason(lulz)

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I haven't done any building recently, but was thinking about the same thing (970/980ti) to add to my "server" for the same reason. Unfortunately, they are still high quality cards for most people, so the market hasn't dropped out yet.

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2016

GTX 1070 is a great production-per-dollar part as well. It's also much more power efficient than the 980Ti. They can be had new for about $400, less if you can find one used. 980Ti prices are though, falling in price on trading forums everywhere.

_k