Updated Icrontic's navigation

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited October 2016 in Community

On desktop only:

• Removed the top right navigation.
  • Added the "Me Module" in the sidebar.
  • "Mark All Viewed" is now under the gear icon in the Me Module. It works.
  • "Mark Category Viewed" now joins it as a "new" option when viewing a discussion or its category.

Also:

• Themed the "New Discussion" button and discussion options cog correctly for the dark theme.
BlackHawkSazbeanGargAnnesBobbyDigiZanthianWinfreyKwitkoardichoketrooster89Straight_ManWagsFTWCreeperbane2

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2016

This is fine.

//edit: "Mark all viewed" doesn't give immediate feedback. Things stay marked as unread until manual refresh. A bit jarring. Intentional?

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2016

It delivers a "All discussions marked as viewed." toaster popup in the lower left. It could redirect you to the homepage I suppose, but then it could end up taking you out of any other context you use it in.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2016

Icons are a tiny bit odd in dark theme, but I love the functionality being right there.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Linc said:
    It delivers a "All discussions marked as viewed." toaster popup in the lower left. It could redirect you to the homepage I suppose, but then it could end up taking you out of any other context you use it in.

How about the following for taking care of the current view until they get around to navigating/refreshing?
    $('.Item').addClass('Read') $('.HasNew').remove()

@Snarkasm said:
    Icons are a tiny bit odd in dark theme

Maybe clear browser cache? I don't see anything like that.

edited October 2016

@Gargoyle said:
    How about the following for taking care of the current view until they get around to navigating/refreshing?

The uncanny valley of coding: knowing enough to write some Javascript, but not enough to see how you're oversimplifying it. :p

I might force a refresh of the page. We'll see. Not really in a "hack core real quick" mood right now til I've thought about it more.

• LevexLevex Animal Whisperer Iowa Icrontian

Thank you for fixing the mark all as read function!!!! :thumbsup:

BuddyJ
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I still get the bonk message with the mark all as read :(

brightStrikes
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Linc said:

@Gargoyle said:

The uncanny valley of coding: knowing enough to write some Javascript, but not enough to see how you're oversimplifying it. :p

I might force a refresh of the page. We'll see. Not really in a "hack core real quick" mood right now til I've thought about it more.

It's totes a filthy hack, but it achieved the desired effect for me when I tried it, and it would be less disruptive than refreshing the page ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also like the idea of staying on the page after the mark as read action rather than going up a level. In GMail, if I search for emails and then perform an action on all of them, I stay on the results page and see the result of the action (e.g. marking all as read). I like that.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

-Digi

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited October 2016

You open to suggestions?

I like the navigation thing, however I think some of it could be rearranged. The way it currently is doesn't have the best visual flow. I am not a designer or anything but something like this?

Granted with longer usernames it might look weird.

Edit: it may also just be whisky making things look weird to me.

@mertesn said:
    I still get the bonk message with the mark all as read :(

Tried clearing your browser cache? Bonk implies your Javascript isn't updated. Our sites don't have a good cache breaking mechanism because I do releases at odd times.

edited October 2016

@Karma said:
    You open to suggestions?

I like the navigation thing, however I think some of it could be rearranged. The way it currently is doesn't have the best visual flow. I am not a designer or anything but something like this?

Granted with longer usernames it might look weird.

It'd actually take up more space that way, and yes, perhaps visually break down with longer usernames.

Really I'd like it back in the bar top right, but that required more CSS that I was willing to get into yesterday in an airport, so we're using the standard widget for now.

Massalinie

@Linc said:

@Snarkasm said:
    Icons are a tiny bit odd in dark theme

Maybe clear browser cache? I don't see anything like that.

It's still there for me, but I figured out what it was - I view IC at 90% zoom in Chrome because everything's too big by default for me. At 100% I don't see it; 90%, it's there.

• StrikesStrikes Lincoln, NE Icrontian

@Linc said:
    Tried clearing your browser cache? Bonk implies your Javascript isn't updated. Our sites don't have a good cache breaking mechanism because I do releases at odd times.

Disabled caching entirely and it still happens to me. Happens in both my chrome browser 53.0.2785.143 m (64-bit) and in my waterfox dev browser 49.0.2 (no addons, always-privacy-mode, all defaults left as-is).

I do miss this feature, just not enough to gripe for the past few months :3

@Snarkasm I can't make it do that at 90% zoom in Firefox nor Chrome.

@Strikes Are you trying to open it in a new window/tab? Because that definitely does not work.

I can replicate it. He's right. At 90 or 110% zoom, there are the aforementioned "lines" around some pieces of the icons.

Chrome 54.0.2840.41 beta-m (64-bit) Win10.

53.0.2785.143 m x64 Win 10 here, so not just a beta thing.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Unable to replicate

Chrome Version 53.0.2785.143 m (64-bit) Win10

-Digi

• StrikesStrikes Lincoln, NE Icrontian

@Linc said:
    @Strikes Are you trying to open it in a new window/tab? Because that definitely does not work.

Nope, just normal-left-mouse clicking on it. It does change the document itself, as though I were trying to load a new page. The load itself fails with 405 Method Not Allowed. I'd be happy to toss you cookies/whatever else over a secure channel, and will try whatever you like. No rush either, like I said it's been this way for me for awhile and I've been coping just fine.

I did get to try the new notification thing because you mentioned me, and I really like it! It's a stark improvement over the old way of using notifications, I think.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Able to replicate, but only at 90% zoom.

Chrome Version 53.0.2785.143 m (64-bit)

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2016

Cleared the browser cache. Same problem.
    Windows 10, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE
    OS X El Capitan, Firefox and Safari
    iOS, Safari, WiFi and LTE

Zoom doesn't appear to be a factor

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

The "Mark all Viewed" button has been broken for a while (at least a week), it keeps giving me a "BONKED" screen.

Annes
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

I keep wanting to click on the private message in the inbox to open it but i keep having to click the name associated with the message

_k

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    I keep wanting to click on the private message in the inbox to open it but i keep having to click the name associated with the message

Didn't even realize this was possible. I always ended up clicking "message" in the notification window to read the PM, and kept wondering why I couldn't just go straight to the PM from the messages window.

MassalinieStraight_Man