Icrontic voice chat switching to Discord

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

Hi friends and friendos.

Mumble was very good for us for a long time. It has been a great community-building tool, allowing Icrontians all over the world a place to chat for hours, share tons of great memories, play games together, and make new friends. However, Mumble has not aged well; combine a slightly archaic client with a bit of a high bar to entry for non-tech people, weird bugs,plus a lot of lag spike/packet loss/server issues, and we find that it was time to explore more modern options.

To that end, several of us have settled on Discord, a very modern app that combines excellent features we're all familiar with from Mumble (excellent, high quality voice chat, multiple channels, text chat, user profiles) along with some new things that make it even more fun to use, like an excellent mobile app, a desktop client, and a web version along with the ability to react, embed images, and mention people to tag them.

To join the Icrontic Discord, simply click this link: https://discord.gg/m5qJP2g

I'll be adding channel/server admins and fixing permissions over the next few days so if you find things are weird, bare with me as we make the switch. Our Mumble server won't be going anywhere anytime soon but we're highly encouraging people to move over to Discord, so don't be surprised if you find the Mumble server empty sooner than later. Thanks!

TushonLevexfatcatUPSLynxCycloniteUPSHitmanStraight_ManSazbeanBasilMassalinie

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Our Mumble server won't be going anywhere anytime soon but we're highly encouraging people to move over to Discord

So, what will be using for raids?

Sazbean
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Discord

• LevexLevex Animal Whisperer Iowa Icrontian

Personally have been using it for awhile with the Horde guild and I LOVE it

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

The Mitey Worriers tried to switch to discord a month or so ago. We were unable to because one of our number had an unresolvable technical issue. Maybe we should check back in and see if a recent update has fixed the issue.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

Side note: I haven't look at the most recent changelogs for Discord, but unless it has changed; to be able to use the push-to-talk option with the chat you will need the Discord app, as it won't work within your browser.

https://discordapp.com/

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Yeeeessssssss. Great to hear!

I'm stoked because Discord has a mobile app that DOESN'T suck. Mumble's app is so awful and breaks eardrums when people try to use it.

UPSHitmanLevex
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Real Talk: Thanks for switching to something with a text chat option. I'm not always feeling that well for voice chat.

primesuspectUPSHitmanThraxLevex
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian

Sweet sauce!

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Slack + Mumble = Discord. Great success.

SonorousMassalinieLevex
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

The most important question. When are we getting a new badge for using Discord?

colaGnomeQueentrooster89
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

I know some people have little grievances or wants from Discord. The developers have been pretty good about listening and requesting for features/additions/changes.

If you feel so inclined, take a gander through their feedback page, vote for a feature you want/miss (such as animated emojis some people were disappointed with), and maybe add a suggestion if you don't find it already listed.

Levex
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

The Mitey Worriers tried Discord again last night for our Wednesday gaming, and the issue we were having seems to be fixed. GOODBYE SKYPE!

RahnalH102