Must-Play DS/3DS Games

UPSKingpinUPSKingpin SirElkhart, IN Icrontian

I was a super late 3DS owner. I finally bought one early this year after putting it off for years. I've messed with it occasionally and played some downloaded titles, but I want to get into it more.

What are some DS and 3DS games you've really enjoyed and recommend buying? I never owned a DS either, so most of those titles are also foreign to me. I like pretty much any genre - RPGs are usually a go-to with my portable gaming, and I'm no stranger to casual games. I'm not much into platformers, but could be persuaded if you swear by a game.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Does the idea of an old-school super grindy classic JRPG appeal to you?
    Etrian Odyssey.

The Legend of Zelda a Link Between Worlds is FANTASTIC.

Luigi's Mansion

Any Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi games are really, really good.

UPSKingpinRahnalH102UPSLynx
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    Bravely Default
    Pokemon

RahnalH102UPSKingpinprimesuspect
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

There is a slew of great titles on this system series, simply cause it's library has been building for 12 years now.
    Not to mention all the ports of older games.
    There are way more good stuff then I'll list here since I haven't played all there is to offer.
    The Nintendo E-shop is generally pretty good about offering the good games to you on the front pages.

Based off of what I've played:

Any recent Pokemon game (X/Y, OmegaRuby/Alpha Sapphire, and Sun/Moon which just released earlier this month.)

Fire Emblem Awakening or Fates
    If you want a good strategy game. Mechanics are simple. Focuses on battlefield management.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    Smash Bros.
    Mariokart 7
    cause Nintendo staples.

Monster Hunter Generations (latest) or 4 Ultimate
    Not for everyone as you'll either find it too grindy, or fun regardless.
    People rarely seem inbetween on this.
    The demos for the series are good for seeing if you are interested or not, and include online play as it is a multiplayer focused game.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Nice and relaxed. Good for relatively short bursts of playtime, around 30 minutes or so once things have settled down. Can get grindy if you play too long in a day.

Platformers worth a shot:
    Shovel Knight - If you like the classic platformer games from the 8-16bit times then you'll enjoy this one.

UPSKingpin
  • Zelda a Link Between Worlds is my absolute favorite Zelda game. It's that good.

I also love MarioKart on it, I think it is the best way to play.

Super Mario Maker is a joy on 3DS, fun to make your own levels and play user created ones. That title has endless appeal.

There were three pretty solid 2D Castlevania games for the origional DS, all great if you can find one and don't mind a little bit of an old school challenge.

RahnalH102UPSKingpin
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Link Between Worlds is super solid if not a bit easy.

Bravely Default is a fantastic jRPG

New Leaf is a fun time waster.

Luigi's Mansion is a great follow up to the original. Very fun.

RahnalH102UPSKingpin
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian

Awesome suggestions, I'm starting to get a list built.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Seconding a lot of the previously made suggestions here (Especially Link between worlds, Etrian Odyssey, Monster Hunter (fun multiplayer), and Fire Emblem Awakening (Tharja best waifu)).

Smash Bros is an essential for me. Obviously I love the series, but I've been coming back to that game on my 3DS for years. Never though I'd love it so much on a mobile platform. It's the perfect in-flight time killer for me.

Both the Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time remakes are fantastic on the system, and I'd argue they play better than their original counterparts. Especially Ocarina - aiming with motion controls, and having actually fully rendered 3D environments is a total game changer. Mario 64 is actually a DSi port, but it still plays super well on the 3DS.

Mario Golf World Tour is great if you dig those kind of golf games, which I know you do. Also has fun multiplayer.

As far as eshop downloads go, highly recommend Mighty Switch Force, as well as the Shantae games. MSF is a 2D puzzle/platformer game with challenging replayability, and Shantea is a 2D metroid-vania type game with amazing art and hilarious fan service.

RahnalH102UPSKingpin
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2016

Tharja best Waifu

That's not how you spell Cordelia

Shitposting aside I was a big fan of both the Phoenix Wright games and the Professor Layton games. They're less action and more courtroom drama/puzzle game respectively but they're very enjoyable.

UPSKingpin