Alien: Covenant

CantiCanti =/= smalltimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Tushon

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

1.jpg 140.2K
    TushonCycloniteBasilardichoke
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Yep, I'm excited.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Yessssss

Hopefully this will tie things up well enough that the Prometheus haters can get on board.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Where does this fall in the Alien chronology?

@Thrax said:
    Where does this fall in the Alien chronology?

It is a sequel to Prometheus, so this is the second part of a trilogy/tetralogy leading into the original Alien film. The plot summary is helpful for it (also from the wiki page linked above):

Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant find what they believe to be an uncharted paradise. What the crew discover is a dark, dangerous world, whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2016

Thanks! Hope they explain how nobody on that ship knows how/why/where the Prometheus went AWOL. Seems like that'd be a big deal, barring Weyland/Yutani cover-up.

• Ridley Scott does not make bad films.

Alien is better when it's in his control. His vision is horror. Alien is a horror film. It isn't hard science fiction or action, it's suspense, it's horror. I can't wait.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

I would imagine that Weyland-Yutani knows exactly what happened to Prometheus and most of the crew of Covenant is unaware of any of it. Also, the destination of Covenant is not an accident and someone on the ship knows the real mission. I hope it's not so cut and paste from Alien and Aliens but it would certainly be characteristic of the company to use uninformed and unprepared people as cannon fodder for its' cartoonishly evil attempts to domesticate Xenomorphs for use as weapons.

Also just going to call it now. Michael Fassbender is playing two characters in this film, the androids Walter and David. David will be the returning android from Prometheus that will have a change of heart between films and try to prevent all the death and destruction, Walter will be the one to betray the crew, they will be confused for one another on a regular basis. No one will know who to trust and I will love every second of it.

@Cliff_Forster said:

Alien is better when it's in his control. His vision is horror. Alien is a horror film.

Alien and Aliens are two of my favorite movies but for different reasons as one is a horror film while the other is more of an action movie. As much as I love Aliens I agree that the Xenomorph (as it was originally intended) is a truly terrifying monster and deserves to be treated as such and Covenant is absolutely looking to be a true horror film.

@Thrax said:
    Thanks! Hope they explain how nobody on that ship knows how/why/where the Prometheus went AWOL. Seems like that'd be a big deal, barring Weyland/Yutani cover-up.

Considering that (spoiler alert) Weyland himself was on the Prometheus and his daughter is the only other person that could corroborate that, it's not that unfeasible of a plot point.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHH

AlexDeGruven

Yep. Yep. YEP

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

I still remember how Aliens scared the crap out of me in 1979. I don’t usually watch scary movies, but this was sci-fi. We arrived just as the movie started in a packed house and had to sit in the front row. I had dreams. Bad dreams. Now I'm going to have to watch it again.

This is exactly what I wanted. If you had any interest in this at all you will not be disappointed. It's real real good you guys.

Ilriyas

@Canti said:
    This is exactly what I wanted. If you had any interest in this at all you will not be disappointed. It's real real good you guys.

yyyyaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssss

I'm seeing it on Tuesday!

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited May 2017

Saw this in IMAX last night, pretty damn good.

[spoiler]It bugs me how little the xenos seem to care about staying out of sight.
    Maybe the only thing stopping the original from having the alien front and centre was lack of tech/budget, but regardless it was a big part of what made it so eerie.[/spoiler]

Canti
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

It's bretty gud. Go watch it.

Canti
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

I enjoyed it. Too bad you could see the big twist in the end way in advance.

• sharkydartsharkydart KY Icrontian

@Jokke said:
    I enjoyed it. Too bad you could see the big twist in the end way in advance.

Certain things you see coming a mile away just because it fits the series. I feel that this was one of these cases. It was done quite well, IMO, though.

Saw it last week in Chicago. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it great, but it was really good and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Michael Fassbender is still an absolute master in every way.

I thought it fit well between Prometheus and the rest of the series. I'd like to see another installation with more in-depth interaction with David and Weyland, though. I feel like they left out a lot that could have been done there.

• SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    I thought it fit well between Prometheus and the rest of the series. I'd like to see another installation with more in-depth interaction with David and Weyland, though. I feel like they left out a lot that could have been done there.

I think they need to go one way or the other. A movie on the just the politics and corporate craziness that has to happen inside Weyland Yutani would be really interesting, but I don't want to see a single alien in any of that. Otherwise, a more pure horror or action movie centered around the Alien would be awesome.

I was a bit disappointed by the half and half nature of this one.

I don't think it was really good, though it was nice looking. I'll steal a quote from a friend who I saw it with:

Alien was good because it was rational people, making rational decisions, and things still went badly through no fault of their own. This was irrational people making really, really irrational decisions, and things going badly because they did the worst possible thing at any given time.

They did have to bridge the gap between Prometheus and Alien (and I did like the story angle they used for that with David), but there were so many terrible tropes used along the way that I was literally laughing at points.

Mt_Goat