My First Opteron :D

124»

Comments

• FAH_WWFAH_WW Training in Indianapolis, IN
    edited September 2003
    LOL :D - Mine's been folding nicely, but yeah, it's not as fast as I'd like it to be. Very smooth and as you say Prime, it's got very fast 'non-'busses :D
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Wait until there is a client that is optimized for AMD64. I think that's when you'll get to see F@H make AMD64 truly flex its muscle.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2003
    According to AMDZone....
    Asus has posted a new beta bios version 1003_01 for the SK8N. It is dated September 1st. Update: I've flashed the bios and it does add support for DDR400 memory which is something that has been lacking.
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited September 2003
    PICS?!?!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Here you go, Liquid.
    pic.jpg 90.8K
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    HAHAHAHAH OMG!!!! ;D;D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    ROFL! ;D;D
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited September 2003
    damn, pwned
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited September 2003
    hey, what OS are you running with the opterons? is that a 64-bit version of Linux?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    32bit XP.
  • edited September 2003
    Yeah, 64 Bit XP is still in beta stages.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited September 2003
    sorry for the triple post, my internet stopped, and i got antsy hitting the submit reply button:D I was curious because i knew the 64-bit WinXP wasnt out yet, and i am interested in seeing some 64-bit linux results :thumbsup:
    edited September 2003
    Unfortunately XP Pro 32 bit for me as well, shame but I just havent had the time. Tried finding a 64 bit linux distro, but the only one I spotted was Suse and that's not free :( (in that version).
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2003
    Registered PC3200 is starting to show up!

Mushkin PC3200 ECC Registered 512MB $180 (@ Newegg.com)

Mushkin PC3200 ECC Registered Product Page $280 here (Ouch!)

Kingston ECC Registered PC3200 1GB Kit HyperX Reg ECC DDR 400MHz 3-3-3 ~$450
    edited September 2003
    I'm hopeful Opterons will take off nicely soon. Assuming AMD can get the big volume out it needs to hit the holiday period properly, it would be handy to have available gear.

Intel has some nice kit out too, so it's going to be interesting... ;)

@primesuspect said:
    Memory came in today. Case and rest of components are due Friday. Thrax and I will be starting the build on Monday.

BTW: This is the first time we'll have met in real life. Any suggestions on how I should treat someone who I know, but have never met ;D ?

BAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAH LOLOLOLOLOLOL GAYYYYY

GHoosdumGargRyderTiberiusLazarus

@primesuspect said:
    Yeah, the thing felt very responsive once we got the chipset and video drivers installed. I am a little curious oncerned about chipset support and early bios revision though.

I mean, the bios is v. 1001. I am sure some of these problems will be solved when they work out some of the kinks in the BIOS. The bios reports the chip as an AMD Engineering Sample. Also, the nForce drivers don't seem to be optimized yet. For example, there are no "nForce xxxxxx" drivers listed in device manager after installing the platform drivers. I get the sense that nothing is optimized yet. I will expect bigger and better after a few months when driver and bios are optimized.

I feel this way all over again with Ryzen. Almost 14 years later and Ryzen has reignited this feeling. How do you do it, AMD?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I was wondering when this thread would get bumped.

GHoosdum
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2017

@Thrax said:
    You get to touch one?!

I hate you.

P.S.: PM me when you get it in, I want to come down to sarcnet and touch it.

My how the times have changed!

@primesuspect said:
    I feel this way all over again with Ryzen. Almost 14 years later and Ryzen has reignited this feeling. How do you do it, AMD?

14 years is quite the refractory period.

Garg
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Testing Opteron Folding:
    Prime: "Let's see how fast it folds." Launches the 3.25 client and begins entering 'Primesuspect' into the user name field
    Thrax: "Set it under its own name so we can see how many points it does in 3 days."
    Prime: "..." laughing "Nah. We'll see how many points it does for me in 3 days"

Prime beat me to the bump before I could track this down in the Byte thread. This is the part that the Ryzen thread reminded me of.

The weird part was I could have sworn I was the one who suggested Prime to set the Opteron to its own name, but of course I wasn't. I'm concerned that I'm internalizing all of Icrontic. That you guys are part of my inner monologue, and it's too late to resist.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    I was wondering when this thread would get bumped.

......and just so no one forgets.

RyanFodderGargBlackHawk