Civ V - Xenophobia [complete]

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    Looks like @Basil resigned. We'll miss you, my friend.

@Gargoyle still interested? If so I can send an invite.

Sure, I need another game now that Iniquitous Impulses is done. :thumbsup:

GHoosdum
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    Looks like @Basil resigned. We'll miss you, my friend.

Sorry guys, this was my only Civ5 game left and I found taking it an absolute chore.

GHoosdumGarg
  • => @Gargoyle said:

Sure, I need another game now that Iniquitous Impulses is done. :thumbsup:

I sent the invite. Join as Russia.

@Basil said:
    Sorry guys, this was my only Civ5 game left and I found taking it an absolute chore.

I totally understand. I'm winding down too, as soon as my last two games are finished, I'm done with GMR as well.

This one looks interesting.

Where's our oil being spent? I see 11 resources, but only 5 planes. Did I miss a carrier somewhere?

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I am not long for this world. My navy has been destroyed and they're picking off my land defenses now too.

GargCB
  • I sent you all my gold and have some land units coming in. I guess I could also destroy my bomber and send the oil it frees up to @Gargoyle?

@CrazyJoe if you can maintain naval superiority I can invade them with a decent sized land army in about 12 turns.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I have cleared out the Eastern Ocean pretty well. My subs have sank two seperate carriers with 4 planes on it each. That should hurt them pretty bad. Do I need to send stuff Rob's Way?

@PirateNinja said:
    I guess I could also destroy my bomber and send the oil it frees up to Gargoyle?

Nah, probably not worth it. I might blow up my own because its range is so short it's unlikely to hit anything.

I don't have any screenshots of the map, yet, and I don't have any plans thought out. If anybody needs me to do something, let me know. Right now, I'm just trying to send backup to whoever is getting attacked near me (must be @GHoosdum?).

I may reconsider this after looking at the map again, but off the top of my head, it may make more sense for me to buff up my science and economy after shoring up coastal defenses. I may crank out a building or two until someone has a plan for an invasion I can contribute something to.

@CrazyJoe said:
    I have cleared out the Eastern Ocean pretty well. My subs have sank two seperate carriers with 4 planes on it each. That should hurt them pretty bad.

Hell yes! So satisfying to sink a carrier. :thumbsup:

@CrazyJoe said:
    Do I need to send stuff Rob's Way?

Keeping in mind my memory of the map is pretty bad, I'm inclined to say you should focus on navy and keep sinking their most threatening boats unless Rob is in dire trouble. I'm mostly just hoping other folks have navy covered since I'm landlocked.

• @CrazyJoe if memory serves correctly you have 2 or 3 artillery on your coast. I'd try to send all of them to Ghoosdum and then get right back on building as many subs as you can to maintain control of that passage. @GHoosdum is going to die quickly via battleshit fire and a privateer if we don't do just about everything we can. I'll evaluate killing my bomber to free up oil for Rob next turn, but I also remember Rob's production being on the low end and I don't know if it is worth the 3-4 turns it would take for him to make a bomber.

@Gargoyle we lost a coastal city early on in this game because @NiGHTS refused to take his turns, then @Basil eventually did the same. Most of our city-state allies have been killed now as well. I purposely started inland to get us an oil and uranium insurance policy, only to have to pull some nonsense trickery with generals to grab our only little oil on an island in the middle of nowhere. What we have going for us is strong science and this will absolutely end up being a race to nukes, but our nukes will be worthless if we can not maintain a safe ocean passage somewhere. Joe is basically our only hope if Rob dies. Meanwhile we narrowly missed losing to an early onset cultural victory by the Huns, which is why I am still building up art shit to make sure they don't start having positive influence again. As soon as I finish this bloody uffizi it's off to the races with non-stop land unit production that we will funnel through the northern passage. That's the only plan I have so far.

@CrazyJoe definitely do not send any ships my way, I might not exist by the time they arrive and I don't want to draw down your forces if you're holding your own on that side. But be ready for their navy to head your way when they finish with me.

@Gargoyle @PirateNinja I don't think bombers will help. I'll have two subs in a turn, but I'm not sure how much I can do with them. Artillery might be a help.

Damn, those jerkwad battleships have the upgrade for 4 range. Picked off both my artillery.

@GHoosdum unfortunately I left the Korean GWInfantry with like one point of health, so I think you'll have to finish it off before it pillages.

I can hit the infantry on my turn, but I doubt I can take out their battleships. I didn't realize they had the range upgrade, but that explains how they managed to take out all of my artillery without me being able to inflict even a scratch!

@GHoosdum said:
    I can hit the infantry on my turn, but I doubt I can take out their battleships. I didn't realize they had the range upgrade, but that explains how they managed to take out all of my artillery without me being able to inflict even a scratch!

If you can't take out the battleships, hit the privateers and ironclads with your subs. Besides being easier targets, they're also capable of capturing cities, but the battleships can't. If we loose all of our units but all they have are battleships, we're still OK. Plus, the battleships are owned by a different civ than the other ships, and none of those ships can see your subs unless they're next to them, so you should be able to take them out without much interference.

GHoosdum

Who are we voting for as host of the UN? We don't have the votes to win if all the other team votes for the same person, but we might if they split their vote. They have 44 votes total and we have only 22. We need to get nukes to cut some of their stuff down to size.

Anyone? My turn expires in 12 hours.

edited June 2017

Vote for whoever makes sense to you, and let us know so we can all vote the same way.

edited June 2017

We didn't have enough votes to beat theirs if they have any coordination at all :(

I think I voted for PirateNinja.

In retrospect, I realize the vote turn started with me. I think I voted for PirateNinja also.

OK, I also voted for PirateNinja. Also, I hope we don't get boned with a complete lack of uranium like we have zero aluminum.

Garg
  • @CrazyJoe said:
    OK, I also voted for PirateNinja. Also, I hope we don't get boned with a complete lack of uranium like we have zero aluminum.

Word. That's why I went central with my location in hopes to get critical resources. Worked for coal. Then the only oil tile we had ended up requiring great general trickery. Hopefully the uranium is plentiful. But without a navy to deliver the bombs, we can only use it for defense. This is a pretty fun and challenging game, hopefully the turn speed picks up a little.

GHoosdum
    edited June 2017

@PirateNinja said:
    But without a navy to deliver the bombs, we can only use it for defense.

I sunk a great admiral that strayed into the range of my lone Great War Bomber. So satisfying. If I get nukes, I'mma make the oceans glow.

GHoosdum

I've put a hurting on their navy by sinking 3 separate carriers with my subs. They have killed them all though, so I have to rebuild the Venetian Sub Armada.

Garg

Incoming!

Take out the Aircraft Carrier first. The sub should be able to do that in one shot.

Garg

Yeah, that explains why my artillery was damaged. Stupid planes.

Once the aircraft carrier is down, those subs can't do anything to your city. We'll need to be prepared for destroyers, though.

@CrazyJoe said:
    Take out the Aircraft Carrier first. The sub should be able to do that in one shot.

I tried that, the "what would probably happen" attack simulation showed the carrier would have survived. I'm guessing due to the bonus for having adjacent friendlies or some such.

It'll take awhile, but eventually we might need railroads out to the end of your peninsula so that ground artillery can help out. Of course by then, they'll have longer range planes...

• Oops. Just saw this. I have all my AA on the wrong coast!

I'm building some, can't remember if one will be ready this turn or not.

@PirateNinja said:
    Oops. Just saw this. I have all my AA on the wrong coast!

They have boats coming my way too. They've sunk all my subs, and I'm furiously building more. I just hope we have uranium. That'll show 'em!!