Prime's Ryzen build

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    So, that's my question. Would I put in 3000 on the 3000 RAM, or down-clock it to 2666?

When I say OC, I mean in the context of making the CPU run faster than it's base spec.

Base spec is 2667 for Ryzen. Motherboard specs would officially allow you to run faster if you buy from an approved list.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2017

Ok, so I can pump up the clock on the RAM if the board supports it without touching the CPU base clock. That's what I was looking for.

Does the 16GB DIMM version follow that as well?

I'm seeing the non-RGB 2x16GB TridentZ (it's under my desk and I already have a crapton of blue in the case), but it's 38, not 36.

Check the memory list for the specific motherboard you want if you want to use 16GB DIMMs.

• MicroCenter currently has the Ryzen 1700X for $369 with an extra $50 credit for an AM4 motherboard. You can score a killer sixteen thread CPU and board for less than the flagship CPU alone right now.

primesuspect
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Your reservation is ready, NATHAN ANDREWS

It's like those recordings that have variables in them.

Today's weather will be... SUNNY... with a... CHANCE OF... RAIN... after... NINE... THIRTY... P.. M.

Sonorous

And last reply on this thread, since it's not really mine.

I went with the 2x8GB Corsair mentioned earlier. Decent price, and I can still go 32GB later.

Seems to be running smooth at 3200-ish

Looks fine. Reference clock on Intel and AMD is 100MHz (x32 for DDR4-3200), but that reference clock can fluctuate from 98-102MHz.

Yep, that's what I figured. I wouldn't be concerned unless it varied widely from what I would expect from the 32x multiplier.

• I've read some good things about KLEVV RAM actually hitting almost 3K holding at 1.2 volts on certain Ryzen boards but you can't seem to buy it anywhere in the US right now.

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian

Been testing RAM for a better part of 7 days 24/7 with a Ryzen 1700 and a Crosshair, the same board as Brian have. So far, Samsung B-Die based ram is second to none if you go 8GB per stick. They easily do 3200 @ 14-14-14-14 latency and 12-12-12-12 latency with a little bit of extra juice.

The difference between 2400 at cas 18 and 3200 at cas 14 is amazing in many games. Remember you are not only raising the memory frequency, you are lowering the one bit of achilles heel Ryzen has (or had i should say), the Fabric interconnect.

Any 8GB sticks that are sold as 3200 cas 15 should be B-Die. To be safe, go with the 3600 rated kits, they are 100% B-Die. The problem with this is that G.Skill have vacumed the whole market of these IC's and off course is goughing the price up.

There are some decently priced kits around:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313825&cm_re=DDR4_3600--20-313-825--Product

The best kit you can get is this:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232306&cm_re=DDR4_3600--20-232-306--Product
    3600 speed at cas 15. These are the best binned sticks out there.

I have also tried one el-cheapo Corsair 3000 kit (currently in this PC) and while it is totally fine at 2666 and 2933, Ryzen mainboards generally doesn't like to boot to 3200 speeds unless you have B-Die. The Corsair 3000 is Hynix M-Die. Just remember to set cas latency to an even number no matter what ram you use.

SonorousGargprimesuspect

FWIW the Hynix MFR chips used in some Geil Evo X and G.skill Trident-Z 3200 kits also work beautifully @ 3200. XMP, even.

4x8 @ 2933 also works on these modules with a little poking.

Do you mean theese Thrax? That's the same IC's as the Corsair 3000. They do not boot at 3200 stable on the Crosshair (not on my cpuat least). Not because of the IC's, but because of memory controller, bios and cpu. The difference between two 1700's memory controller can be very big.

edited April 2017

I have these ICs running at 2x8GB 3200MT/s. All I had to do was load the XMP profile and go. It was effortless.

I suspect the Corsair DIMMs with Hynix MFR are doing something unusual with the subtimings.

TheLostSwede
    edited April 2017

Indeed that must be the case. Is this at auto vdimm voltage? What board? FAW seems to be vastky different.

Sorry Prime for hijacking.

edited April 2017

Yes, auto VDIMM (1.35V). Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming5. The BIOS is a bit spartan, but it's super reliable. I wish it had an external clkgen for refclk OC.

So this is what I have for the DIMMs recommended on page 2 of this thread (Corsair 2x8GB 3200). Running this with a 1700 on a Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 MoBo.

Boots stable at 3200 every time so far.

TheLostSwede
  • @AlexDeGruven - How do you feel about that motherboard? That is what I'm thinking about since I don't really feel the need to crossfire anymore I figure it will be decent enough. It looks like it has a pretty good audio chip. Looks like you at least got some RAM to work at 3200. Recommended?

It's perfectly fine for my needs. I also don't need crossfire. I can't speak to the audio, as I just use the HDMI out on my R9 380. Clocked up to 3200 for the RAM with zero issues and has been rock-solid stable. With ultra-fast boot turned on I go from power-off to login screen in about 5 seconds (Samsung NVMe SSD).

Cliff_Forster

@Cliff_Forster I highly recommend the ASRock AB350 Gaming K4 and any ddr4 3200 that's cl14 on the box.

Cliff_Forster
  • Thank you, won't be much longer now. I'll probably build in a couple weeks. Amazing how much decision making goes into your personal build. I had a case in mind, kinda backed off, thought no way I'd do glass, now I see some tempered glass side window cases that I sort of like. I was going to go sound isolation and not show off the build, now I want a balance. Can't make up my mind. Do I splurge for 16 threads or is 12 enough? (12 is plenty for me)

In a way the Ryzen launch has re engaged me to what is going on in the PC hardware market. It was an itch that needed scratching for sure.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited April 2017

So what about those of us looking at 32 gig kits @ 3200? Follow the same Samsung B-die recommendation?

edited April 2017

4 sticks will most probably not do 3200, at least not straight out of the box. Not yet anyway. Samsung B isn't available in 16GB sticks either.

Playerunkown's Battleground was an eyeopener for me with Ryzen. Still not anywhere near proper balanced but the last few patches and going from 4670k to Ryzen 1700 is another world for me.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2017

Experience so far with Samsung B-die is that 4 sticks won't go 3200 no matter the timings.

EDIT: on the Gigabyte GA-X370 Gaming 5

@Sonorous said:
    So what about those of us looking at 32 gig kits @ 3200? Follow the same Samsung B-die recommendation?

2933 is pretty doable for 4x8 on current BIOSes. 3200 is possible, but very mobo-dependent right now. Best luck with Asus Crosshair VI on recent firmware.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@Thrax said:

@Sonorous said:

2933 is pretty doable for 4x8 on current BIOSes. 3200 is possible, but very mobo-dependent right now. Best luck with Asus Crosshair VI on recent firmware.

That's the board I would be getting. Currently on the fence about when to buy all this stuff. I'm sort of feeling like I should wait a bit longer for some more BIOS updates and RAM in the specs I want to be widely available. Thanks for the input @Thrax and @TheLostSwede.

Totally understanded now that ram prices are what they are. I scored a "cheap" 3600 kit that i will recieve on friday. I ordered it when it was a lot cheaper so it isn't that bad.

• @Thrax I went with your suggestion. ASRock B350 gaming K4 with some G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 CL 14 paired up with a Ryzen 1600X, and a shiny new RX 580. A few parts in hand, some on the way, should have a build together by this time next week.

I was so bent on doing a shrink because my Corsair 600t case was absolutely massive, it was about 620 mm deep, just huge. I boxed myself into thinking mAtx was going to be a must, but I took a good look at the Corsair 400C and I'm pretty excited about how compact it's going to be despite being full ATX. I'm going full out, cable mod kit, led strips, captain ex water cooler, it's going to be my black and red showcase build, I know it's going to be one of the best I have ever done.

Garg

I recently built an ATX PC in the NZXT Source 340. Beautifully small. It's nice to see how compact you can make this form factor.

Cliff_ForsterGarg