WANTED: Video game events for Expo 2017 (deadline Sun, Apr 30)

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian

Don't delay. Deadline for ideas in Sunday.

Looking for folks willing to coordinate video game events during Expo. You can do it solo or in groups. It can be a tournament, or not.

A few things to consider:

• Minimize on-site setup.
  • Minimize rounds needed (typically 3 or 4 at most).
  • It will take 50% more time than you expect/estimate for each step.
  • No event may exceed 2 hours.
  • Maximize how many folks can participate at a time.

You can use this discussion to further discuss or otherwise volunteer. If you've never organized an event from Expo, I reserve the right to forcibly pair you with someone who has and I'm still retaining veto power on details to make sure things run smoothly. :)

Things we've done in the past:

• Smash Bros.
  • Mount Your Friends
  • Art of Balance
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Minecraft Challenge
  • Civilization
  • Titanfall
  • UT2K4
  • Mario Kart 8

We've also combined multiple console-based games into a round-robin "Decathalon" the last two years.

Looking to run 2-4 video game events this year depending on what we come up with.

Even if you're not looking to run an event, input on what you'd like to play this year is welcome.

Comments

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian

I have built a Raspberry Pi arcade. Would there be any interest in setting this up? Right now, it works with wireless XBOX 360 controllers, but I'm in the process of building arcade controllers, hopefully before Expo.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Not sure if there would be enough people, but it would be cool to get some overwatch in.

GnomeQueen
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@djmeph said:
    I have built a Raspberry Pi arcade.

I'm not sure what you mean. Like a classic arcade cabinet? I'm sure folks would play around with it if you brought it over, but it doesn't sound like it would lend itself to a formal event.

djmeph
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

I can't volunteer to organize since I'm moving around Expo time and don't know how that'll impact my attendance. But, I'd definitely be interested in playing a console decathalon, Civ, TF2, Balance, or doing some friendmounting.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I would enjoy being involved in Console triathlon, TF2, Rocket League, et all. I always love what comes out of the Minecraft creative builds so would love to squeeze that in also.

Really down to run any video game tournies. All I ask is that if it is a game I am not familiar with, I be paired with someone who is. I seem to be pretty good at herding the cats when needed.

-Digi

LincprimesuspectMassalinieUPSKingpin

It's a HUGE if, but if 1v1 comes out in Pokemon Go before Epic, I would love to run a tourny.

Could also offer a strategies session if there in interest. Imma be playing anyways so might as well share the knowledge :p

-Digi

Lincprimesuspect
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Rocket League should be able to happen. Could do 2s or 3s depending on interest. I enjoy Mount Your Friends and Art of Balance for ease/silliness factor and being conducive to console decathalon.

UPSKingpin
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:
    I would enjoy being involved in Console triathlon, TF2, Rocket League, et all. I always love what comes out of the Minecraft creative builds so would love to squeeze that in also.

Really down to run any video game tournies. All I ask is that if it is a game I am not familiar with, I be paired with someone who is. I seem to be pretty good at herding the cats when needed.

-Digi

I would be willing to forgo participation if assistance is needed in organizing and herding.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I really hope someone steps up to do rocket league because that was SUPER fun last year

UPSKingpin

@primesuspect said:
    I really hope someone steps up to do rocket league because that was SUPER fun last year

:wave:

I'll rephrase...

I will happily run Console triathlon, TF2, Rocket League, et all.
    -Digi

MassalinieUPSKingpin

Yasss

@Sonorous said:
    I would be willing to forgo participation if assistance is needed in organizing and herding.

I find that organizing / running / herding does not have to take the place of participation :)

-Digi

edited April 2017

Can Overwatch be managed as a closed game? And do we have critical mass of players?

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I do not believe they have dedicated overwatch servers, do they?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

They don't.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Overwatch has the custom game option. You can do invite only to the custom game to enable a 6v6 game.

MassalinieGnomeQueen

We should have the bandwidth to make that work.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Confirm it is the same as Rocket League (no ability to self-host, but custom lobby)

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

We were able to do Overwatch last year, and tons of people are still playing. I'd love to do Overwatch in a tourney and I'd be happy to help run it (but have no experience doing so).

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

I'm in for Overwatch! Most of these things, really. Happy to help run something if hands are needed, also no experience :-P

• FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian

@Stack I've already been consulted, yes.

CBMassalinie

Tentatively:

• TF2
    • Rocket League
    • Overwatch
    • Smash Bros. (Perry)
    • Triathlon (Kart, Mount, Balance)
    • Minecraft (48-hour creative build)
    edited April 2017

@Linc said:

• Minecraft (48-hour creative build)

The 1 hour build works a lot better and gets more participation. Open to either but the 1 hour is more fun with the time constraint and watching over peoples shoulders. :)

-Digi

GnomeQueen

Very good, then.

@drasnor said:
    Any interest in a "spess with drasnor" KSP tutorial on the living room TV? I know I missed the deadline but I just had the idea today.

Yes. That would be amazing.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I can plan for 1 hr, 1.5 hr, or 2 hr depending on how much stuff I cover. What's preferred for scheduling purposes?

Let's stick to an hour.