?

Cliff_ForsterGnomeQueen

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Cliff_Forster
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

This sucks so bad.

I've never been one of those types of people where music was such an integral part of my life like some, but this one hit me pretty hard. Soundgarden and the other big hitters of that era pretty much defined the soundtrack of my high-school years. And for the first time, it feels like a real piece of my life has been affected by this.

Cliff_ForsterprimesuspectZanthian
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2017

"Nearly Forgot my Broken Heart" is my favorite song released in the last few years. Chris Cornell had this thing I liked. You see, anyone that practices hard enough can hit the right notes, sing in key, have good pitch, diction and such, even if your range is limited, you can still learn to sing in a pocket somewhere (Little known fact, I was my high school class vocalist)... But you see, feeling is the stuff you can't fake, you can't learn, you can't teach. To me that is the art, it isn't about pitch or range, it's about conveyance of emotion through your voice. That's what separates a good singer from a great vocal artist. Chris Cornell sings this and conveys emotion in a way that you absolutely 100% know as a listener that he is suffering inside this cycle of repetitive heartbreak. I heard it the first time on my local Rock radio (WIYY Baltimore) and it stopped me cold, I had to immediately find the song to play it back again, as soon as I got home I had to repeat this song. It spoke to me, it made me feel a little less lonely. It was an incredible gift. You can't learn that, you can't fake it, you either have it or you don't and Chris Cornell had it big time. Shame he is gone.

primesuspectZanthian

fuck me

Cliff_ForsterZanthian
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

The guy had a voice that was silky and razor sharp at the same time. For me this is one of his underappreciated cuts. RIP man.

Cliff_Forster
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

RIP :(

Someone got footage of the final song, Slaves & Bulldozers (which has the In My Time of Dying refrain) played at the Fox in Detroit last night.

edited May 2017

Still gives me shivers to this day

Beautiful comment from YouTube (I know, right?)

"Went to Seattle from Italy in the early 90's just to walk there under the rain listening to this song. I wish I could live that moment another time in my life. Amazing what music can do... Can make you feel... Time stops... How lucky to have lived those years"

This is what strikes people so deeply when musicians or artists they loved pass away; it reminds them of a time and place; brings them back to a point in their life that only music can recapture, fleetingly. I'm shaken by this news today because this man's voice is one of those things for me. It's one of the few things that can bring me back to a time before my life got complicated; before I became a young dad and a young husband and young business owner. My heart was full of hopes and dreams and all the possibilities of a time when the world was opening up to me, and Chris Cornell sang the soundtrack for it.

Cliff_ForsterUPSLynx

On my drive to work this morning I was thinking about Cornell's influence on my young life musically, and also how so many young people today didn't get to grow up experiencing that grunge era as it happened. It's the first really distinct music period that I can recall experiencing and enjoying as it happened. But it happened so quickly, people as young as my sister (four years younger than I am) didn't really get to experience that. Grunge came and went and music moved on, greatly influenced by what bands like Soundgarden brought to the table.

I was thinking about how cool it is that many of these younger people that didn't get to enjoy this brief era of music got to become familiar with it in recent years due to things like Rock Band and Guitar Hero. Black Hole Sun was always a favorite in Rock Band no matter who you were playing with, and I know a couple people that became fans as a result of playing that game. Pretty neat that it could happen so many years after Soundgarden hung up their boots.

Bands like Soundgarden and grunge in general greatly influenced my early musical tastes, and I still follow genres inspired and created by the work that grunge laid down.

Also, this just in, and it sucks :(

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Oh no. I hadn't seen the Suicide news yet. I am relating to a lot of what was said in this thread. Chris Cornell's music takes me back to a specific time and place in my youth and it feels weird to learn of his loss. RIP Chris

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I'm not normally one who is impacted by celebrity death news, but man, what a bummer. Chris is one of of my all all time favorite vocalists and I have some very fond memories tied to his music.

primesuspect
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Seasons is, in my opinion, the best song he ever wrote. It's also a cry for help. So much pain in his words. As someone who lives with depression, that songs hits home.

This is an awesome tribute by Megadeth

• primesuspect

I feel so, so sad for his kids

GnomeQueen
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian

Pete Thorn, who is a well respected session guy and internet gear promoter and who originated from here in Edmonton, toured with Cornell 2007-2010 and continued to be his friend. This is not for everyone, but he shares some of his memories. Nothing earth shattering or TMZ worthy, but gives a little inside insight on Cornell, and their interactions.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited May 2017

At work this afternoon, after setting up the sound system for tonight's event and powering on the four 1000 watt speakers I had placed carefully around the room, I decided to play "Getaway Car" from Audioslave's self titled album as a test track. After walking the room to see how the room sounded I paused for a few moments and just took in the music for once. Soon I noticed a staff member at the museum had walked up behind me and was listening with me as well. Another guy came about corner and paused as soon as the guitar solo ended and Cornell's vocals came back to the forefront for the key change. A few moments later the song ended. The guy behind me said "thanks for playing that, man." The other guy just gave me a nod and went back to wherever he came from. All three of us shared a little moment tonight thanks to Chris. Just another cool memory to add to the many I already have thanks to him and the excellent musicians he surrounded himself with.

primesuspectZanthianRyanMMBlackHawkUPSLynxSoda
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

DontCallMeKelso

omg

ZanthianKwitkoCliff_Forster
  • @primesuspect said:
    omg

This is now one of my favorite things ever.