Thai fisherman pants

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited May 2017 in Style

Listen, I can explain.

I work from home and have never really taken advantage of that in my daily wardrobe selection over the last five-plus years. Every day, I put on a pair of jeans. Every day, as a martial artist, I want to stretch or throw a few kicks in the kitchen while I wait for my tea. And my god, you just can't do much in a pair of jeans. Range of motion is just abysmal and I'm sick of needing to change just to stretch my legs.

On the other hand, I truly hate sweat pants. And yoga pants. And I cannot wear my pajama pants to work; it just isn't a good mental exercise (nor are they as flexible as you'd think). Is there nothing that looks half-acceptable but will let me kick someone in the head? Is that too much to ask for? :biggrin:

Turns out, these are a thing:

They're call Thai Fisherman pants. They are very loose fitting but still made of reasonable material. They tie with a draw string, not elastic, and it's required - the drawstring is the only way they stay up at all. Then extra fabric above the drawstring folds back down over the string to hide it.

So I bought the two pairs pictured (except mine don't have those white fish - they are darker like the rest of the pattern) and so far am in love with them. I definitely wouldn't wear them out of the house to do more than walk the dog, but they are quality pants that feel like you're wearing nothing without looking like you're wearing nothing. And I look like I'm fixin' to kick someone in the head, not take a nap. :biggrin:

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

I find a Utilikilt to be extremely liberating.

And Chuck Norris disagrees with you about the jeans.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Mmmm... Chuck Norris' unique hidden gusset. I knew I'd been missing something in my life.

MAGICUPSLynx
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

Apparently those jeans were available until 1991 when they were discontinued. But due to continued requests for them over the years, a company (Century Martial Arts) started making a version of them (called Kicking Jeans) again in 2015:

https://www.centurymartialarts.com/apparel/century-kicking-jeans-blue

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Have you considered cargo shorts.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

@Colgere said:
    Apparently those jeans were available until 1991 when they were discontinued. But due to continued requests for them over the years, a company (Century Martial Arts) started making a version of them (called Kicking Jeans) again in 2015:

Yep. Century is based in Oklahoma City where I live. The Chuck Norris jeans are legend around here.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I can't wait to hear @Aaron's commentary

@Thrax said:
    Have you considered cargo shorts.

Most shorts aren't an issue. Pants were the issue.

@primesuspect said:
    I can't wait to hear @Aaron's commentary

He is surprisingly unopposed.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Linc said:

He is surprisingly unopposed.

WHY

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

BuddyJDontCallMeKelso
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@BuddyJ said:

@Colgere said:

Yep. Century is based in Oklahoma City where I live. The Chuck Norris jeans are legend around here.

So, basically if you have a pair of OG Chucks, you're getting laid?

RyderBuddyJ
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I wear pajama pants to work in my home office, and I find them comphy and non-binding. BUT, I don't wear pajama pants to actually sleep in, so... they're not REALLY pajamas? like... for me?

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Duluth makes a line of jeans they call Ballroom Jeans because, well, there's an extra patch to give your balls extra room. I love these things and could definitely kick in them.

Mt_Goat
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Gusseted pants are awesome. I used to have a pair of gusseted cargo pants that I wore threadbare, would buy again next time I'm up for a pant refresh.

• BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

@CB You should tell them about the super stretchy soft comfy jeans you just bought.

Stretchy I don't think I can do. Stretchy fabric bothers me a lot.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Stretchy fabric had bothered me previously as well, specifically not being very breathable, but I have recently discovered, after wearing basically the same kind of pants every day for the last 20 years, that it is possible to find slightly elastic (not really super stretchy - I find I like 1.5% elastic) pants for men these days, which are actually pretty comfy. I may finally be ditching my suspender's habit for pants that actually stay on my body all by themselves (something that, due to my body shape is very novel for me.) The pants Betsy is talking about are the Urban Classics men's pant with 2% spandex which I found to be almost as comfortable as pajama pants, but which look like stylish adult human pants. I still wear pajama pants for sitting around the house, but I ordered a couple more pairs of these Urban Classics also for to wear out of the house.

Linc