someone start a tasting half in the tank

Because, my god, the heresy of it.

RyanMMUPSLynx
  • FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

Consider me excited

RyanMMLevex
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2017

Because I actually have my shit together this year, and because we're not doing a blind horizontal or vertical as a core part of this year's tasting (I will not rule out some mini-blinds, because that's how I roll), I have the unique opportunity to show you in advance some of the gems we'll be tasting.

First up: Bell's Batch 9000!

This beer was brewed in early 2009 to celebrate Bell's 9000th batch of beer. Legend goes that during the brewing process, they somehow miscalculated the amount of fermentables needed, which sent the brewers on a mad scramble for malts and adjuncts to add to the brew. As a result, the recipe for the beer wasn't properly documented, and they don't think they'll ever be able to make it again.

The ABV came in at 12.5%, and the beer was subsequently very boozy at first, so much so that Bell's sat on it for another 9 months waiting for the right time to release it. Finally, in January 2010, they bottled it and sent it out for distribution.

The beer was divisive fresh, some folks finding the flavors too aggressive, but I was personally a huge fan. This is a beer I remember buying nearly a case of at the time. I definitely remember sharing some with fellow Icrontians around St. Paddy's 2010.

So this beer is going on 8 years old, 7 in the bottle, but despite that, I can say that having had it fairly recently, it's still holding strong at or near its peak flavor. I'm excited to drink the last bottles I have with folks who can join me in a month.

If you want more detailed info (TASTING SPOILERS) you can read the tasting notes from some folks were crazy awesome enough to buy enough of it to do a cellar review every 6-12 months.

UPSLynxBobbyDigiLevexGarg
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I'm going to be F5-ing this thread every day until Expo.

FettBaconLevexRyanMM

Featured beer #2 comes to us from 2010, when Schmaltz Brewing Company was celebrating its 14th anniversary. Among the ways they celebrated were releasing their Jewbelation 14, and this beer:

He'Brew Vertical Jewbelation

To make this they blended 7 of their anniversary beers, starting with Jewbelation 8 all the way through 14, and aged it in 6 year Sazerac rye whiskey barrels.

It's part stout, part barleywine, a chimera that defies description. A strong ale, to be sure.

UPSLynxDontCallMeKelsoMAGICGarg
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

:fistpump:

-Digi

• LevexLevex Animal Whisperer Iowa Icrontian

@Linc said:
    Everyone who signed up is in!

This makes me very happy ?

• FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

IN

@Linc, got an attendee list for me?