Come play Gigantic with me

MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

Gigantic (Steam) is a Free2Play mashup between a MOBA, third person class based shooter and a fighting game. Most people compare it to Overwatch, but there is so much more going on than that.

Unlike a traditional MOBA there aren't towers you're forced to destroy to get to the main objective. Instead the primary objective of the game is to build up energy for your Guardian to Rampage and weaken the enemy Guardian. You can collect energy via opponent hero kills or capturing energy from summoned structures/capture points (your own and an enemies). There are several summonable structures that vary in purpose from teammate healing Bloomers to combat ready Cyclops.

You play as one of 19 unlockable characters, each with their own unique style and move set. The variety of characters is amazing and at no point have I felt like I'm playing the same character in a different skin. From the melee version Spin-To-Win assasin Tyto the Swift to the entirely support focused Vadasi the combinations are pretty amazing. There are some familiar things too, like the Bastionesque HK-206. Each character has their own upgrade path for the abilities you have. You can use a controller or mouse/keyboard and they have recommended builds. Playing someone like Tyto feels like I'm playing a fast paced fighter game since everything is essentially a skill shot, even your melee attacks.

I'll be honest, the skill ceiling is crazy big. I can't imagine being able to master all of the heroes in the game and so far the number of available character archetypes has really kept it from feeling stale. There are mages, supports, disablers, debuffers, etc. I just really dig it and it feels like a fresh take on the MOBA scene. I enjoy it much more than Overwatch or Paladins and I can see it taking the place of my "I have 30min to play something, I'll play League of Legends" niche. There is a tutorial you have to finish and a bot match to play. Overall bot matches take way less time than public matchmaking ones.

So come on and join me! I've been playing a bunch this weekend and I'm sure I'll play more.

Comments

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited July 2017

I got to play in the alpha and it was pretty fun at the time (about a year and a half ago I think). I'm interested in seeing how it's changed and improved since then.

MiracleManS
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

@RahnalH102 said:
    I got to play in the alpha and it was pretty fun at the time (about a year and a half ago I think). I'm interested in seeing how it's changed since and improved since then.

I wasn't in the alpha, but its definitely the most fun I've had in a competitive game in a while. Maybe its because its "new" but it feels fresh from an execution standpoint.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

I downloaded it, if anyone wants to play tonight shoot me a line over Discord or Steam

MiracleManS

Played with @Ilriyas and his brother last night and had a blast. Outside of one game where we got totally trounced it was relatively clean.

Can't wait to play again.

I play almost every night. The game is growing on me more and more. Most games are less than 15min and an organized group can make a big difference. I'll probably play tonight if anyone is interested in joining in!