looks at what a weak cat 1 Hermine did to this area

FUCK.

LincprimesuspectGargdrasnorCliff_Forster

Comments

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Are you gonna have to evacuate?

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2017

real talk - GTFO. Even if projected paths are way off, don't wait it out. Same goes for you, @CrazyJoe, @Cyclonite and @Charity. We need yall <3

GHoosdum
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

I am not going to ride it out in my 110 yr old house that shook during a MAYBE cat 1/strong tropical storm last year. I am going out to the north side of town to my brothers house if it comes this way; he has generators (YAY A/C) and it is a better part of town.

If things get really bad, I may need a place to go after the storm that is not anywhere in Florida.

I am really hoping that the cold front coming through tomorrow (Wednesday) pushes the storm away, but it might be too early and not do all that much to change the path.

@GnomeQueen said:
    Are you gonna have to evacuate?

I didn't leave for Charlie (Cat 3 at landfall, Cat 2 when it came over where I was living at the time (Orlando))

I won't leave this area unless a CAT5 is projected for landfall within 50 miles of 32322 (Carrabelle, FL, where my parents live)

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

No way to reason with hurricane season. All of FL is now under a declared state of emergency. CAT 4/Cat5 when it hits, looks like it goes up the middle of the state, and it is big enough that it will cover the state e/w as it does.

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

We have obligations to the clinic, so can't leave, but both our house and the clinic are in non-flood zones and relatively far inland. House was built in 2006 (clinic in the '60s, but it's a giant block of concrete). Also have a 5.5KW generator with about 15 gallons of gas ready to go. It'll power my two 5050 BTU window AC units, and allow us to keep a decent amount of lights on. Also on city water, but I've got two five gallon beverage jugs coming in to fill with water in case something cuts it off or it gets contaminated.

Anyway, I'm concerned, but not enough to evac at this point. This new trajectory is looking a little better too.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Hang tight, my friends.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

GHoosdum
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:

Might want to add Indiana to that "Nightmare Tornado Zone ". Even if we don't get one the storms can be pretty fucking powerful!

Looks like Tallahassee and the whole 850 is going to be pretty much out of the direct path of the storm. We will probably get rain and maybe tropical storm force winds (40-73 mph, 35-65 kts).

That being said, nobody knows for sure and it could still veer into the Gulf and smack us in the face.

GnomeQueen
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2017

Agreed, too early to tell, but so far she is trending more eastward for her northward progress path part. Crossed as many fingers as I could while typing that.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

We're going to ride it out too. I'll be zombie proofing my house though. No plywood to be found anywhere nearby, but I did just replace part of my fence so I'll be boarding up the windows with the old fence panels. Not the best method, but better than nothing I suppose. I'm about as far inland as you can get in Florida so I hope we'll be OK.

edited September 2017

So engineering question. If my back patio is covered would it be better to try to cover all the windows (two sliding glass patio doors and two smaller windows) or use the 8 foot fence panels to basically build a fence around the patio? I do have screws to strengthen the panels since the slats are just nailed on. My neighbor says this might create a wind tunnel or something and cause more harm than good.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@CrazyJoe said:
    So engineering question. If my back patio is covered would it be better to try to cover all the windows (two sliding glass patio doors and two smaller windows) or use the 8 foot fence panels to basically build a fence around the patio? I do have screws to strengthen the panels since the slats are just nailed on. My neighbor says this might create a wind tunnel or something and cause more harm than good.

Generally I have heard that affixing things to your home is the best method. Creating additional structure could result in more things for the storm to make into projectiles. I would take the extra time to make sure that none of the boards that make up those fence sections could come loose. Boards are very dangerous in hurricanes.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

We're going to try to move all our valuables to orbit tomorrow morning before the hurricane gets here; safest place we could find in a hurry. Wish us luck.
    https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/09/06/spacex-readies-rocket-to-launch-military-spaceplane-into-orbit/

CBGnomeQueenMt_Goat
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@CrazyJoe said:

Hands-down affix to your house. Aerodynamic forces on free-standing flat plates are much, much higher than extra surface roughness on a big box firmly anchored to the ground. You would need to have no gaps and strong joints between your porch roof and any fence you built plus no gaps between slats. Your "fence" would need to be sunk a couple of feet into the soil and anchored with concrete like a real fence.

OK, follow up question. I've been going back and forth, but is it even worth it to board up the main windows with the fence panels? Some people have said that the fence panels may do more harm than good and that they'd become projectiles if they were to be blown off the windows.

@CrazyJoe said:
    OK, follow up question. I've been going back and forth, but is it even worth it to board up the main windows with the fence panels? Some people have said that the fence panels may do more harm than good and that they'd become projectiles if they were to be blown off the windows.

What exactly do you have? Can you give us a picture of the "fence panels" so we have a better understanding of what you're working with?

Also, @CrazyJoe , cross-thatch duct tape on the windows as well. Reduces shatter tremendously.

These are what I have right now. I have about 10 of these that are 8' long by 6' high.

I do have screws to screw them down rather than the staples that are in there now.

@CrazyJoe said:
    I do have screws to screw them down rather than the staples that are in there now.

I think if you were to use four screws per board in place of the staples they might be fine. I'm not an expert on air pressure though. I'm not sure if wind getting into even those small gaps between each board would create some weird high pressure between the outside and the windows. This might be a case where full sheets of wood are the only sure measures to protect windows from wind and debris.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

If you were to screw these in front of windows, it is my opinion that it would prevent smaller debris that would normally break a window from breaking a window.
    Keep in mind about where you screw these to though, make sure you aren't just screwing it into siding. The screws that hold them to the house need to hit structure (studs/headers, etc. Your best bet (based on what I know from constructing houses up here) is to place the screws within 1-3 inches around the window. A window has to be framed to hold it in place and that will include usually a double 2x4 on the vertical sides and a header of some kind above the window (usually 2x8 or larger), and 2x4 on edge underneath.

Thanks. That makes sense. It'll help with little stuff and the bigger stuff wouldn't matter either way.

I still would not rely on just those staples. I would add screws to the fence pieces as well.

The forecast path has shifted back West; the frontal system came through earlier than predicted.

Fuck.

I get paid the day AFTER the forecast impact for my area (Big Bend/Forgotten Coast).

Double Fuck.

Also, when a university in the South cancels a football game (even against a patsy like ULM) you know things are serious.

@pigflipper said:
    Also, when a university in the South cancels a football game (even against a patsy like ULM) you know things are serious.

I'll only be concerned if Alabama or Auburn cancels a game, THEN it's serious! ?

@aspieRommel said:

@pigflipper said:

I'll only be concerned if Alabama or Auburn cancels a game, THEN it's serious! ?

Those schools are so far north that if a hurricane came their way, they would run crying to their mommas like babys. Also, Saban is a little bitch.

@Sonorous said:
    I still would not rely on just those staples. I would add screws to the fence pieces as well.

Absolutely. I have plenty of deck screws to secure the pickets.

Sonorous