Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season 2017 edition

13»

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

storm shutters are not to block the wind, but to stop debris.
    Your neighbors lawn chair at 120mph does a lot of damage.
    I know someone that made 'fence panels' that come off of the fence and bolt over some windows.
    Using as fence gives him a place to store them.

pigflipperBlueTattooGarg
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

@edcentric said: "I know someone that made 'fence panels' that come off of the fence and bolt over some windows."

Clever! I have been storing plywood panels since 1983 (Alicia). Occasionally I use one in a project and have to scramble to replace it for the next storm. Ike blew down all the fences around here, but didn't damage the houses much. An open fence wouldn't blow down!

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

It really is a pretty brilliant idea. Maybe I will have the new fence put in with panels that are the same size as the windows at this house (all windows are the same, really weird custom dimensions thanks to it being built in 1908). If a bad storm comes, we could just bolt the panels to the poured cement frame/exterior of the house over the windows. Would be a pain in the ass for the upstairs windows, but a decent 12'-15' extension ladder should be enough.

Also, picture of said fence that was "destroyed" by the storm. Said storm was strong enough to straighten a stainless metal hook attached to a stainless 3/8" chain to keep the fence upright in event of high wind events. I guess 10 years of tropical systems (along with spring super cells) finally took their toll on the hook.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

@MikQuattro is in the process of being flooded in South Carolina, I sure hope it stops rising soon.

Damn

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Talked to him this morning, all of it receded before coming into the house. The rain stopped about 1am and therefore let things calm down.
    Yay!

GnomeQueenGarg
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2017

We made it through. We lost pretty much all of our fence so we're going to have to replace that when we actually have enough money to do that, but no major structural damage to our house so that's good. We had alot of unexpected expenses prepping so it might be awhile before we can repair the fence, but we're lucky that we have no major damage to our house. The people across the street lost a big tree in their yard that has a root ball as tall as thier house, so they're lucky it fell towards the street and not on thier house.

GargprimesuspectdrasnorLinc
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian

Your house and yard is a mirror to mine. I lost all of my fence. Snapped every 4x4. A fence that survived Charley unscathed. House made it clean as a whistle. A lot of tree limbs, but no damage. My streetlight came completely apart. Some hit the ground next to my car, the rest is all hanging by a wire.

I use Plylox to board up. Make up the boards and label them. Go up in a half hour. Come down in about a half hour. They lock in solid on a stucco house with inset windows.

Power came back on at 7AM this morning. One of the advantages of living beside the airport and near the fuel/pipeline storage tanks.

Garg
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

The house I was in is intact. The place we bugged out of is intact and has power as it is a Senior Living facility. Both are in Naples.

primesuspectGarg
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Straight_Man said:
    The house I was in is intact. The place we bugged out of is intact and has power as it is a Senior Living facility. Both are in Naples.

Sounds like it's doing better than the senior living facility I keep hearing about....

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Some facilities were not well built, while the one we were and are in was well built. :)

Mt_Goat

Here we go again.

Wonderful.

WagsFTW
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

@pigflipper said:
    Here we go again.

Wonderful.

There goes the last hope of me becoming a Florida Q-tip for retirement.

edited October 2017

Looks like all Florida is going to get is some rain and wind, storm is now projected to hit the New Orleans area on Sunday.