Niantic announces a Harry Potter AR game

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

Niantic, the company behind Ingress and Pokemon Go, have low-key announced their next game: Harry Potter Wizards Unite: https://nianticlabs.com/blog/wizardsunite/

With Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, players that have been dreaming of becoming real life Wizards will finally get the chance to experience J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World. Players will learn spells, explore their real world neighborhoods and cities to discover & fight legendary beasts and team up with others to take down powerful enemies. We're thrilled to partner with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, and WB Games San Francisco’s development team to bring this magical and beloved series to life in a brand new way. Harry Potter: Wizards Unite will leverage the full stack of the Niantic Platform while also providing an opportunity to pioneer all new technology and gameplay mechanics.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Wonder how long it will be until they take wands out of the game and call it an upgrade.

GargSoda
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Dealing with the frustration of network congestion and random crashes is just what we need to take wizards down a peg.

SodaThrax
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

Wait what? I thought the Icrontic hivemind regarded Niantic as okay? Why throw shade?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Pokemon Go works pretty well now

BuddyJSoda
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I feel like I need to comment, unfortunately I don't have a lot to say

I play Pokemon Go every day. It has its issues but (in my specific experiences) no more than TF2 in its hay day or PUBG currently.

I have 0 interest in a Harry Potter game although if you asked me 13 months ago I would have said I have 0 interest in a Pokemon game.

-Digi

I suppose the only thing to say is: Hopefully this doesn't take any dev or server resources away from Pokemon Go.

BobbyDigiBuddyJRahnalH102Massalinie
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

YER A WIZARD NOW 'ARRY

MAGIC
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

I wonder, if they have a faction system in this one likely using the Hogwarts houses, will they do a Sorting Hat method to assign you a house or will you just choose it yourself? Maybe both available?

When it comes to their development and maintenance of Pokemon GO, they've certainly been improving, but still stumbling here and there (the event they had in Chicago did not go well.) I'd be really surprised if all they've made and learned from GO doesn't help them with this wizarding endeavor. I don't think Harry Potter is gonna blow up as much as Pokemon did though, so that might help with server stability.

• “But if it matters to you, you'll be able to choose Gryffindor over Slytherin. The Sorting Hat takes your choice into account."

SodaKaintenance
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    “But if it matters to you, you'll be able to choose Hufflepuff over Slytherin."

FTFY.

CrazyJoeMassalinieBuddyJ

I am house Tequilapuff

RyderMiracleManS
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2018

Not the same game but interestingly enough, another Harry Potter mobile game coming...

-Digi

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

SNL called the AR game "Harry Potter and the Children Who Walked Into Traffic".

BobbyDigidrasnorGnomeQueenFettBacon