Star Wars Episode VIII discussion

124»

Comments

• Better for Luke to die a hero than become the villain.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2017
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Hopefully to die. I will accept that fanservice.

MiracleManS
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Did no one click the url in the tweet? Come people

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I'll ride this derailing train....

Three of us got it ;)

-Digi

@BobbyDigi said:
    I'll ride this derailing train....

Three of us got it ;)

-Digi

I meant in general, like did no one out in the internets actually click the url

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Reading on the twitters that certain reviews are spoiling major plot points.

Why on earth we even need "reviews" of fucking STAR WARS EPISODE VIII is beyond me. Nobody is going to read a review and decide whether or not to see it, any more than they'll read a review of each episode of a Netflix serial before deciding whether or not to see it. It's not a standalone film: it's PART FUCKING EIGHT. If you've seen ONE THROUGH SEVEN you're probably gonna see EIGHT.

Don't read any reviews: don't spoil it for yourself. Just go in with childlike wonder and soak it all in. IT'S STAR WARS.

I have Friday morning tickets. I took the day off work. I CAN'T WAIT

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Reading on the twitters that certain reviews are spoiling major plot points.

Why on earth we even need "reviews" of fucking STAR WARS EPISODE VIII is beyond me. Nobody is going to read a review and decide whether or not to see it, any more than they'll read a review of each episode of a Netflix serial before deciding whether or not to see it. It's not a standalone film: it's PART FUCKING EIGHT. If you've seen ONE THROUGH SEVEN you're probably gonna see EIGHT.

Don't read any reviews: don't spoil it for yourself. Just go in with childlike wonder and soak it all in. IT'S STAR WARS.

I am not reading the reviews cause spoilers, but I've kept an eye out for the general reaction. I think it's helpful in terms of prepping myself. I am definitely going to see it, that's not in question, but I need to know how excited to be. If I hear that it's just okay, I'll lower my excitement level appropriately so as to not be super disappointed.

I have Thursday Night tickets. Will be avoiding any mention of Star Wars like the plague until then.

Fucking STOKED!

-Digi

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Friday night tickets, the very front row because I forgot to get tickets early. We're going with the full family nearer to Christmas, though, so I'll get a better viewing angle then.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Thursday night ticket, will see anyways.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited December 2017

Just got out.

Go

See

Now

Now

NOW

Also: spoilery discussion thread time?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Also: spoilery discussion thread time?

Don't be a monster.

Linc

Separate thread with warnings. I'm not a monster.

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

And I don't get to see the movie tonight, my local AMC theater has corrupted files and can't show the movie. Their computers are also down and can't even give me a refund. I bought tickets two months ago, they tried to offer me a voucher for two free tickets, that I have to use THIS WEEKEND.

I work all weekend.

I am not happy right now.

I am beyond pissed off.

Cliff_ForsterRyanMM

Take that shit to Twitter

UPSLynx
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2017

@pigflipper said:
    And I don't get to see the movie tonight, my local AMC theater has corrupted files and can't show the movie. Their computers are also down and can't even give me a refund. I bought tickets two months ago, they tried to offer me a voucher for two free tickets, that I have to use THIS WEEKEND.

I work all weekend.

I am not happy right now.

I am beyond pissed off.

That blows man. If it makes you feel better, I just saw it, and let's just say The Empire Strikes Back position as greatest film ever is safe.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Strongly disagree with our resident movie curmudgeon.

DontCallMeKelsoUPSLynxMiracleManSRyanMM
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Saw it. Super dope. Porg AF. I wanna talk about it I WANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Go see it you punks.

AlexDeGruvenRyanMM
    edited December 2017

Non-spoiler: If this doesn't at least get nominated for cinematography, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Edit: WHY IS NOBODY AWAKE TO TALK ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW?!?!?!?! I NEED TO DISCUSS MOVIE!

MiracleManSCliff_Forster
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2017

Non- Spoiler again,

I agree, it's brilliantly shot. A ton of eye candy, a beautiful film. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it, the way I really liked the prequel films, which I still do even though they are imperfect.

Everyone is praising it for taking risks. Let me say, though The Force Awakens didn't take as many risks in the scope of the narrative, it did take some of the right ones. Having a female be the main protagonist. Having Ben Solo kill Han. Not showing Luke until the final shot, all risks in some ways while the narrative thread of Hero gets off desert planet, joins rag tag band of rebels, works to save galaxy from super weapon... okay, Force Awakens did earn it's criticism as a bit of A New Hope copy. That said, it's still a better film than The Last Jedi. It's paced better, the humor is well placed, the ending where Rey calls for the saber is one of the most satisfying scenes in the history of cinema. Everything about it felt like falling in love again. JJ Abrams respected the tradition of late 70's, early 80's Star Wars and wanted to give it back to us while introducing us to some really compelling new characters, giving us just enough tie in to the old that it felt like a logical continuation. Also look, Harrison Ford makes everything better, everything kids, he is Harrison fucking Ford... Sadly, his brand of cool is missing in the latest film, you just can't replace that guy.

The Last Jedi is a great film by virtue of being a Star Wars film with a lot of cool Star Wars stuff. He has an eye as a director for sure. The sets and locations are some of the best in the history of the franchise... but, there are a couple scenes that are so forced (bad pun intended) that had you said, let's remove this and meet Jar Jar's son Jug Jug instead, I'd of been like, come on guys, let us bring Jug Jug on for a couple minutes... Now you know Jug Jug is not in the film, I'm sorry for that minor spoiler, but seriously, that's how cringe worthy at least two moments in this film are for me. Also, the narrative, it's like you get to a spot at the end, and I know what the themes are, and what the director is trying to say... I won't discuss now because that's going to lead into a spoiler discussion, and trust me, I appreciate the sentiment, and the ideas and tone, but somehow at the end, I felt almost dissatisfied, like, okay... this is going to be a never-ending cycle, there is no ending to the story that is Star Wars, it will go on eternally because that's sort of how the force likes it and while that is very good for Disney's prize franchise, I'm not so sure it bodes well for Episode 9 which feels like it lacks the lead in that a book end should have. Don't get me wrong, The Last Jedi is a very enjoyable film, but it's not like OMG it's the greatest Star Wars since Empire kinda good. The hype train on this one let me down. I had enormous expectations that were not met.

Sitting down for viewing #2, with The Kid this time.

-Digi

JUst saw it again. Love it even more.

Picked up tix for tomorrow night. The kid (2nd) and I (3rd) taking uncle Bobby for his first viewing.

Pro Tip: look into your local theater's deal nights. Cinemark's here are $6 each all day on Tuesdays.

-Digi

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian