1050 Ti vs 1060

TweakDragonTweakDragon Sitting In The Sweater That Hug MePottstown, PA Member

I’m wondering if choose right with 1050 Ti instead of going with 1060. I choose the 1050 Ti cause I found a really good deal for it but would I be kick myself later for not going with 1060?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Well,

The 1060 is a much faster card than the 1050ti. That's why it is more expensive than the 1050i.

However, if the 1050i plays everything you need well, it looks good, and it's fast enough, does it matter? What kind of monitor are you using? If you play all your games at 1080p, it's not going to matter much because the 1050i will be excellent.

• TweakDragonTweakDragon Sitting In The Sweater That Hug Me Pottstown, PA Member

I’m currently shopping for a monitor and a better keyboard. But for the time being I’m using an hand me down from my brother. I will post my build here to get feedback on it

• TweakDragonTweakDragon Sitting In The Sweater That Hug Me Pottstown, PA Member

ASUS PRIME Z270-A
    Intel Core i5-7600K
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti-4GB
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (2 x 8GB)DDR4 2400
    WD 1TB
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

What games do you want to play?

Mostly PUBG

• I want to tell you to consider AMD, but for some odd reason Unreal Engine 4 games run a bit better on Nvidia. The GPU market has been a bit batshit for the last year or so now. The funny money currency miners have spiked demand making it harder for a gamer to find a decently priced card. I was lucky to get my RX 580 8GB when I did, I got it for around $229 right before the world went mad. Things are better than they were six months ago, but it's still inflated. Mid range product you used to buy for around $169 is $329 these days. Premium cards are mostly north of $500. It's almost enough to make you consider gaming on console.... NAH!!!

Battlegrounds is a demanding title. Looking at benchmarks, the 1060 6GB models can not hold a steady 60FPS at a medium preset at 1920 X 1080 (they avg about 50 fps). If you buy a 1050 you are going to have to throw it into low and consider gaming all the way down to 1280 X 720 to get it to run. Consider saving a bit, I know it sucks, but that's just the graphics market right now. Measure twice, cut once, you don't want to be stuck with a card having to sell it because product in that segment is hard to get a fair resale on. Premium product holds value a bit better, the entry level gamer stuff, not so much, if you buy it and decide it was a mistake you will have trouble selling it for more than $75 or so.

primesuspectTushon
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Not even a 1080ti is good for pubg. I would seriously consider basing a video card purchase on something other than that game. Even with the 1.0 release it still runs pretty poorly. I would check the benchmark results of a handful of other games and base a new graphics card on that, and if you happen to be able to play pubg, awesome.