HDCP Troubles. Head meeting wall. Halp plx!

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut?Meechigan Icrontian

So I did a new Ryzen build earlier this year, and everything was peachy as far as I could tell.

This fall, I upgraded to a 4k monitor, and I finally got some 4k media to watch at Christmas, so I gave it a whirl.

But for some reason, my system is not turning on HDCP, even though (I believe) I've got things set up properly for it.

Video Card: XFX R9 380 4GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA AB350 GAMING3
Monitor: LG 32UD59-B
Connectivity: DP direct using the monitor-supplied cable, nothing else in the chain.

Sound is configured to output to the monitor, even though the speakers are weak. I just haven't tackled that bit yet.

CyberLink's tool shows that HDCP is not available. And Radeon Settings says it's disabled.

I've checked connections. Updated drivers. Sacrificed a few goats.

Not sure where else to look.

Hoping it's something stupid I missed.

Anyone?

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2017

Your monitor has a little unusual setting where you can disable Display Port 1.2 support, basically for GPU's that only handle legacy Display Port versions? Not 100% sure, but it's simple enough to try, looks like if you drill down in the monitor menu that setting is under "General" you can enable and disable it see if anything changes. Also the LG website has software up that is less than a month old. I'll assume it's an upgrade / patch for the monitors software since the date is so fresh, but the support site isn't clear. http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-32UD59-B#manuals

I don't think you can do anything further to address the GPU beyond just make sure it's running current drivers. Any driver released in the last year will on an R9 380 should support HDCP by default if the other variables satisfy the requirements.

My experience with Cyberlink PowerDVD over the years is mixed. If you check the monitor and that isn't working, might be work trying an alternative, many come with trial periods just to get a feel if it's a software related issue.

What is your media?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Probably your monitor. Everything else in your display chain unquestionably supports HDCP.

_k
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Probably your monitor. Everything else in your display chain unquestionably supports HDCP.

That's a good validation. I was figuring that was the case, since I've used HDCP-protected media in the past with this card, but stuff has changed.

Turning off DP 1.2 didn't make a difference live. I'll do a reboot and see if that helps.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Check that all devices in your chain support at least HDCP version 2.2.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2017

Try a different cable, preferably a VESA certified one. My friend Nico had a similar issue, the cables don't always fully identify the monitor and therefore features are not enabled.

This page also shows a "driver" for the monitor for Win 10 R3 if you haven't tried it - http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-32UD59-B

I know a friendly AMD employee has a lot to say about quality DisplayPort cables: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3uvp02/a_holiday_reminder_on_quality_displayport_cables/

BlackHawk

I haven't made any headway yet, but it's been a busy week.

I've got a couple of things I'm not happy with in my current Windows build, so I'm going to wipe clean and start fresh, using official drivers first to make sure we're on a level playing field with everything.

edited January 2018

Well, after many different troubleshooting steps, it's coming down to the video card being the problem.

Tried my LG TV, which works with XBox 360, XBox One, and Steam Link, all of which require HDCP. Still shows disabled.

Tried my old monitor, which previously worked with HDCP-protected content. Still shows disabled.

Tried a new DP cable (recommended in link above). Still shows disabled.

Reset monitor to factory. Still shows disabled.

Tried different HDMI cables of varying lengths and known-good operation. Still shows disabled.

XBox One is able to play HDX Vudu content on the monitor.

Any other thoughts before I start shopping for a new vid card?

firmware on the monitor?
    Try a different bios for the Vid card?

Different displays still show disabled. And XBox One can display HDCP fine on LG monitor.

No new BIOS for vid card, it's running the current released version (which is old AF, but still).

Not necessarily a newer one by XFX, but try the forums and flash a sapphire one or an AMD reference one (if people have had success).

edited January 2018

Hmmm. Wasn't aware that was an option

Looking here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=AMD&manufacturer=&model=R9+380&interface=&memType=&memSize=4096&since=

It doesn't look like much, though.

The plot thickens.

Tried Vudu on the kid's desktop, which is running a pretty basic setup, R7 350 and a standard 1080p screen with HDMI.

It reports the same issue.

After updating the Radeon software and drivers, I see the same status for HDCP.

This tells me it's a windows issue, which is a relief from the hardware view, but makes the troubleshooting much more difficult.

Still digging.

Rolled back to a specifically whql-certified driver and software (Radeon 17.11.1 and driver version 23.20.788.0 dated 11/2/17).

Still showing disabled.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Just running through my head some troubleshooting steps, and I think you have covered a lot of it. One question I have is, what is the content you are trying to play and from what sources?

Primarily Vudu, which uses HDCP in Flash for >SD content. Also checking Netflix, and that is locked in at 720p on known 4k content, and even 480p in some cases.

From what I've been able to dig up, a lot of people lost their HDCP capabilities in April with 1703, and Sept/Oct with 1709 of Win10.

Whatever it is, it's definitely in the software stack.

Running AMD RX VEGA56, Dell U2412M monitor (pair) and both my monitors both display HDCP disabled.
    Not sure how that is affecting me at the moment, but just more data.

Yeah, something in Windows broke something along the line

Try this to evaluate the HDCP chain: https://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

edited January 2018

The BD and 3D BD tests (aside from the display part of the 3D) pass just fine.

I installed the HEVC codec from the store, but it didn't have an effect at this point. I'll reboot when I get home and see if that changes anything.

I thought 4k UHD content was only playable on an Intel based system. Am I mistaken and Ryzen is now HDCP 2.2 compliant?

edited January 2018

The CPU is immaterial to HDCP. The GPU matters, though, and Intel has an HDCP 2.2 GPU onboard. Not sure where this "Ryzen can't do HDCP 2.2" urban legend came from or why it keeps popping up, except to say that Ryzen has no onboard GPU at all. For the record: Radeon and GeForce also have 2.2 compliance.

//Edit: for streaming 4K content, you also need PlayReady DRM support. Intel has that now. GeForce has one special driver from Windows update, and Radeon will have a public driver in February.

//Edit: When it comes to BDROM, everyone should just get a standalone player. Blu-ray is trash on PC. A nightmare to get working. DRM disaster.

I thought I had read that there was something CPU side required for HDCP 2.2 that was Intel specific, but I don't know where that was. Thanks for the correct information.

@Thrax said:

//Edit: for streaming 4K content, you also need PlayReady DRM support. Intel has that now. GeForce has one special driver from Windows update, and Radeon will have a public driver in February.

Streaming is where I want to be. I can wait 'til Feb

//Edit: When it comes to BDROM, everyone should just get a standalone player. Blu-ray is trash on PC. A nightmare to get working. DRM disaster.

Yeah. I'm not planning on it for regular BD content for the most part. I have multiple XBoxen and a BD player upstairs.