Computer won't POST when trying to run RAM in Dual Channel

IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian
edited January 2018 in Hardware

I know this sounds completely bizarre but that's the problem I'm facing, when I've got my RAM in single channel it boots up absolutely fine but for the last 3 hours I've been wrestling with my computer to try and get it to run in Dual Channel before I finally gave up. I was hoping Icrontic might have an idea because I'm completely lost.

PC Specs.

MSI B350 PC Mate motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600x
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 2400mhz
Sapphire RX480 8GB GPU
Corsair CX600M PSU

At first I thought it was a problem with my overclock (3.9ghz at 1.35v) but turning that off and attempting dual channel had no effect, computer runs perfectly fine with those settings in single channel. It could be the PSU but I should have about 200w to spare. (That said the PSU I've had since highschool, so about 6 years)

Thanks in advance,

Ily

Sonorous

Comments

• 7A34vA7 version of the BIOS is the latest and it looks like it includes some memory improvements. May fix it. What version of the BIOS are you running?

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited January 2018

@Cliff_Forster said:
    7A34vA7 version of the BIOS is the latest and it looks like it includes some memory improvements. May fix it. What version of the BIOS are you running?

That's the current version of the BIOS I'm running, so I looked it up and there's Corsair 2x8 for Ryzen builds and Corsair 2x8 for Intel x100 builds, apparently I have the latter. Could that be what's causing the issue?

EDIT:

So the RAM version I have from Corsair's site is CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 according to the B350 PC MATE support list it is on the support list and capable of Dual Channel so I'm at a loss.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Are you putting the sticks in the right slots?

Yeah, I'm following the manual instructions, either DIMM A2/B2 or DIMM A1/B1.

If I put them in non-dual slots like A1/A2 or B1/B2 then the computer works fine in single channel mode, problem only comes up in the dual configuration.

• Are you throwing the memory profile into auto in the BIOS? Are you using any of the advanced profiles? Have you returned to recommended default values for all settings prior to testing boot in dual channel config?

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Does each stick run fine in any slot?

Each stick ran fine in any slot, BIOS was cleared everytime I tried a new config.

Turns out it was an issue with the motherboard, grabbed a new one and boom everything is working perfectly fine. Going to RMA the old one and sell it.

Now I just gotta wait till tomorrow so I can recover my Windows 10 activation, apparently I need to make my case over the phone that the hardware was faulty.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Not sure when it may of happened but I can tell you sticking your hands in a computer in winter can be a bit of a chore. I know I discharge constantly in this dry air. Baltimore is usually great in spring / summer, so much humidity you can pretty much not worry about ESD but during the winter it's a constant battle to get the anti static matt, strap, ground myself... Probably a little ESD into the slot and that's all it took.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@Ilriyas said:
    Each stick ran fine in any slot, BIOS was cleared everytime I tried a new config.

Turns out it was an issue with the motherboard, grabbed a new one and boom everything is working perfectly fine. Going to RMA the old one and sell it.

Now I just gotta wait till tomorrow so I can recover my Windows 10 activation, apparently I need to make my case over the phone that the hardware was faulty.

For future reference, if you log into your computer with a Microsoft account, it attaches the license to that account and you can transfer it after a hardware change (I did this when I went from an FX to a Ryzen system).

Though, there's a possibility that isn't the case in Canuckistan, it's worth looking into.

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Not sure when it may of happened but I can tell you sticking your hands in a computer in winter can be a bit of a chore. I know I discharge constantly in this dry air. Baltimore is usually great in spring / summer, so much humidity you can pretty much not worry about ESD but during the winter it's a constant battle to get the anti static matt, strap, ground myself... Probably a little ESD into the slot and that's all it took.

I'd wager that could be it but I'm not sure, both sticks worked on their own regardless of slot, it was only once I tried to put them in together that it stopped working altogether. I'm usually very careful about discharging myself and the computer, turn it off and pull the plug, wait a couple minutes and then I make sure I've at least touched something metal before I get to work. I got pretty frustrated the night of so maybe I missed a step.

@AlexDeGruven said:

@Ilriyas said:

For future reference, if you log into your computer with a Microsoft account, it attaches the license to that account and you can transfer it after a hardware change (I did this when I went from an FX to a Ryzen system).

Though, there's a possibility that isn't the case in Canuckistan, it's worth looking into.

Yeah, they said it'll work that way in the future. I don't know why it was giving me trouble but all it took was a 10 minute phone call so I ain't complaining.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

For discharging purposes, leave the power supply plugged in and switched off. Computer stays grounded and so do you.

edited January 2018

Hadn't thought of that, I'll keep it in mind should I go rooting through my PC in the future.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

You can get an ESD wrist strap on Amazon for like six US dollars or like $6k Canadian: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6VHBHS/
    I'd like to double down on @Tushon's advice: be sure to have the PSU power switch turned OFF to prevent accidents.