Having some odd computer problems...

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited January 2018 in Hardware

Hey guys,

I'm having some odd PC problems. In the past week or two weeks, I've had:

• All my peripherals suddenly stop working but the computer seemed fine otherwise
  • My monitors acted like they weren't getting any info from the PC, but the peripherals and everything else was lighting up fine
  • Hung up on loading screen
  • Froze up a few times randomly and needed a reboot.

I put in a new graphics card recently, but that was like 2-3 months ago and these problems only recently started happening.

My specs:

AMD FX-8320
16gb of Crucial DDR3
990FX motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X
OCZ Vertex 4 120 GB
Other hard drives

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Tell us about your power supply.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    Tell us about your power supply.

It's old and I don't remember what it is. Bobby said it couldn't be that since my computer is still powering up? But I could get a new one.

• The Titan X probably making your 12 Volt rails cry for mercy. Or it's not impossible it was improperly installed and the electrostatic discharge is just starting to show. ESD can be funny that way, maybe damage a component and you don't always see it right away. Maybe into the I/O somehow? That can be hard to diagnose after the fact, but if it wasn't installed with proper anti static protections, consider that possible in which case you just may as well do a new system build.

To fuel that system I'd say a good 650 watt Power Supply should do. Even if yours is, it has aged a bit and as capacitors age power supply's start to decline that's why you always want to have some overhead. People always wonder why does a GPU manufacture suggest double what a system will likely load at, and that's why, because in a few years your 600 watt power supply may only function more like a 500 watt supply. It depends on a lot of variables, environment it's used in, how hard and often it is loaded so on so forth.

Investment in a new power supply either way will not go to waste, you are interested in playing games on a Titan X, may as well feed it.

For $70 - This will take you where you need to go. - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151118

Get a Power Supply, swap it out carefully. See how it fares. Good, you just know the Titan was making your Power Supply cry. Not so good, I'd say you probably are in some trouble. I'm not saying it can't be software, but it doesn't seem like it from the randomness of the problems you are having, seems like a hardware issue to me.

CB

I have had computers power on intermittently or abruptly power off with a marginal power supply. Peak system load is not at turn-on. I'd recommend getting a new power supply; especially because their components age and their capacity decays over time. The OuterVision PSU calculator suggests at least 600W for your system. @Cliff_Forster 's SeaSonic is a good pick though you might consider going up to an 80+ Platinum model if you leave your PC on all the time.

Thanks for the info, guys. I was thinking it might be the power supply, but I didn't know all of that stuff about them degrading over time-- figured they either worked or they didn't. I ordered the one Cliff suggested. Hopefully that'll fix the issue! Muchas gracias. <3<3

Cliff_Forster
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Thirded: It's probably the PSU's 12v rail taking a shit. Power Supplies are much more complex than an "On or off" deal.

If it's not the PSU, your motherboard could be taking a shit.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I had a dodgy PSU that was fine until it tried to spin up the DVD drive when installing Windows. All other indications on the system were that it was fine until then.

edited January 2018

Dang, already got the PSU and have it installed. Crazy fast shipping, Newegg! Of course, the first thing my computer did after installation was freeze at the login screen. Hopefully that was a one-off.

@GnomeQueen said:
    Dang, already got the PSU and have it installed. Crazy fast shipping, Newegg! Of course, the first thing my computer did after installation was freeze at the login screen. Hopefully that was a one-off.

Run chkdsk on all of your drives. It's likely you have some filesystem corruption from all the abrupt power-offs.

Cliff_Forster

@drasnor said:

@GnomeQueen said:

Run chkdsk on all of your drives. It's likely you have some filesystem corruption from all the abrupt power-offs.

No problems, and I've frozen two more times since then :(

• https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Run this and save and send me the full text file. I'll take a look at it, see if anything sticks out. Do it after a fresh boot with all your typical background processes running and such.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

How long does it take before it shuts down/locks? Wondering if it might be something thermal.

I had a similar issue when the pump in my water cooler froze up.

Could be chipset-related, as well.

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

I've been having graphical glitches/freezing issues myself for the last week. I noticed they occurred around the time Microsoft pushed out the Meltdown/Spectre patches. In my case, I have an Intel processor, but my video card is an RX 480. Specifically, it seems update KB4056892 is the cause of the issue for me and after uninstalling/reinstalling it several times to confirm this resolved the issue, I had to go into my systems group policy and manually disable Windows Updates for now (thankfully I have Windows 10 Pro, unfortunately you cannot disable the updates this way on Windows 10 Home).

An article discussing this in more detail:

https://www.bankinfosecurity.com/microsoft-pauses-windows-security-updates-to-amd-devices-a-10567

You might want to manually uninstall this update and the others listed in the article just as a test to see if the system performance improves.

@AlexDeGruven said:
    How long does it take before it shuts down/locks? Wondering if it might be something thermal.

I had a similar issue when the pump in my water cooler froze up.

Could be chipset-related, as well.

Sometimes it's right away, sometimes it's after a few hours.

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian

My dad had freezing issues this month. He found some minidumps in C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports. Do you have anything recent in there?

Those minidumps that I analyzed blamed the NVIDIA driver timing out. His solution was clean installing the NVIDIA drivers.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

bad ram

@Thrax said:
    bad ram

I ran the memory diagnostics tool and it didn't find anything, is that reliable?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:

@Thrax said:
    bad ram

I ran the memory diagnostics tool and it didn't find anything, is that reliable?

Not especially. I would load memtest on a flash drive and let it run overnight.