Falcon Heavy!

RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
edited February 2018 in Science & Tech

One of the greatest things in human history!

(Starts at time code of my favorite part, hmm no it doesn't, but go to 37:56)

primesuspectUPSLynxMt_Goat

Comments

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

Got to see this from top of the Orlando airport (top floor of the new South Garage). Not the best seat in the house, but you could very definitely see the pillar of fire rising up, and even caught first decent burn of the 2 boosters!

The really amazing part was seeing (in official videos) the boosters land perfectly.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Unreal. Was stunned watching this at work, and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. What an unbelievable accomplishment. The image of the two boosters landing simultaneously was iconic, and that moment will live with me for the rest of my life. In a time when so much crummy stuff is going on, it's so nice to see mankind doing some seriously amazing things.

Huge congrats @drasnor . That was doap AF.

BuddyJ
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

The way they're able to drop those boosters smack in the center of the LZs just absolutely blows me away every time. It's like they're on rails.

SO MUCH MATH

Also: @drasnor - Get someone over there to stream starman's cameras 24/7 until the batteries run out.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Also: @drasnor - Get someone over there to stream starman's cameras 24/7 until the batteries run out.

Elon said in presser that batteries were good for 12 hours after launch... so they ran out already.
    Also, no antenna to beam it back to earth from how far away it is now.

Ahh, ok. Too bad. Would have loved a Ceres flyby.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Starman "let the children boogie".

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    Who knew that was going to work?!? It did though, holy shit!

Remember that time at Expo and we were playing your rocket building game and you talked about how the Falcon Heavies had never been successfully launched before? Now you can talk about all the pieces as real and working components.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2018

@CrazyJoe said:

@drasnor said:
    Who knew that was going to work?!? It did though, holy shit!

Remember that time at Expo and we were playing your rocket building game and you talked about how the Falcon Heavies had never been successfully launched before? Now you can talk about all the pieces as real and working components.

You're right! Though if we're playing it true to form you'll have to discard the center core when you fly the Heavy. Maybe I'll house rule that next time.

EDIT: context https://www.amazon.com/Xtronaut-Game-Solar-System-Exploration/dp/B016VA9F30/